Did anyone Think........ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Did anyone Think........

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DUKE » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:47 pm

M_Zimm wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:I wonder what they are going to do with Palmer. He is being paid a lot. I don't think sitting on the bench really does any good as far as experience goes.

Worked for Pennington, worked for Bulger.

I'm a fan of the, ride the bench and hold a clipboard philosophy for rookie QBs.

Good point, but they weren't number one picks. Nobody had even heard of them. He may be another Ryan Leaf. :-o

I wouldn't say noone heard of them. They were both VERY elite QB's coming out of college and entering the draft.There's absolutely nothing to draw a conclusion one way or another on how good he will be. He did show moments of greatness during the preseason, such as the game where he finished with a perfect qb rating, and showed some rookie mistakes in others. We don't know anything at this point. No they weren't #1 overalls, but were drafted pretty high. Usually when a Qb is the #1 overall, it;'s because they are in dire need of a qb and are almost forced to throw them into the fire. Again, I think it's a luxury of the Bengals to let him learn at a gradual pace, and not have to throw him into the fire like other teams are forced to do.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:48 pm

DUKE wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:I wonder what they are going to do with Palmer. He is being paid a lot. I don't think sitting on the bench really does any good as far as experience goes.

I'm a fan of the, ride the bench and hold a clipboard philosophy for rookie QBs.

Good point, but they weren't number one picks. Nobody had even heard of them. He may be another Ryan Leaf. :-o

I wouldn't say noone heard of them. They were both VERY elite QB's coming out of college and entering the draft.There's absolutely nothing to draw a conclusion one way or another on how good he will be. He did show moments of greatness during the preseason, such as the game where he finished with a perfect qb rating, and showed some rookie mistakes in others. We don't know anything at this point. No they weren't #1 overalls, but were drafted pretty high. Usually when a Qb is the #1 overall, it;'s because they are in dire need of a qb and are almost forced to throw them into the fire. Again, I think it's a luxury of the Bengals to let him learn at a gradual pace, and not have to throw him into the fire like other teams are forced to do.

Yea, you are right. I didn't realize how high they were drafted. I do know that Kitna isn't too old. Do you think they will bench him when they feel like Carson is ready?
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DUKE » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:26 pm

M_Zimm wrote:
DUKE wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:

Yea, you are right. I didn't realize how high they were drafted. I do know that Kitna isn't too old. Do you think they will bench him when they feel like Carson is ready?

After the first four games of the season I would've said yes, but at this point, I don't see how they could remove Kitna from the job while he's playing like a Pro Bowler at the position. Considering that they are playing for the playoffs, I see no chance of benching a healthy Kitna. Next year should be interesting, but if Kitna maintains his pace, I see Kitna keeping the job to start next season as well. These situations tend to play themselves out in one way or another anyway, so I guess we shall see.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby BradtheImpaler » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:55 pm

since i was a ff rookie with a shitty team last year, i picked up guys like kitna and chad johnson, and rode them to a .500 record, and for the life of me, i couldnt figure out why the hell they wanted to draft carson palmer anyways.

granted kitna did some damage in garbage time last season, but since i was regularily starting those guys i really followed the bungles last season, and saw how they lost quite a few close games, where they were a td away from tying or a fg down, before they would manage to screw it up. I was convinced that kitna and johnson were the real deal, however thuis whole palmer situation scarred me away from them, as i didnt know if palmer would be seeing some major time down the stretch if they were out of the playoffs.
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:26 pm

M_Zimm wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:

Pennington was #18 overall and first QB chosen in 2000. Definitely not a nobody, especially when you go to Marshall.

Bulger was a 6th rounder, so you could call him a nobody. Either way, their time on the bench learning the offense helped them immensely for their first pro starts. Both of them led to revivals of their teams when they came in last year. Sure, there's always the Mannings and Marinos who come in and have immediate success, but the NFL is littered with high draft pick QBs who had to start early on and couldn't hack it 3 years down the road.

I think most of the better young QBs in the league rode the bench most, if not all of their first year: McNabb, Culpepper, Bulger, Pennington, Hasselbeck.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Super Freak » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:43 am

i never thought he would be anything good
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby latraffic » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:34 pm

Whoa! Stop the carving of the KITNA hall o' fame bust already! Give me a frickin' break here folks. This is Kitna from Seattle '99, remember? (Okay, maybe you don't 'cause nobody watched Seattle back then 'cause they sucked, but I had too because I was in Oregon back then and it was all they would televise!)

Anyway, Kitna who had a good season (9-7) in the land of Starbucks coffee, 23 TDs, got some ESPN face time, had everyone in Hawktown all in a dizzy because they made the playoffs as a wildcard, etc, etc, etc.

Flashforward - Kitna imploded. Never, ever played to form after getting creamed in the playoffs. Tossed by Holmgren as the one-hit wonder he was. Kitna was/is a fluke - never lived up to the hype. Same thing is happening again in Cincinnati. I pity their fans if they think Kitna is the answer.

FF Kitna owners - enjoy this little holiday bonus from him while it lasts, because folks, it won't! Palmer is sitting in a perfect position to learn all he can this season because he will be the starter next season.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby phunkadelic » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:17 am

[quote="latraffic"]
Kitna was/is a fluke - never lived up to the hype. Same thing is happening again in Cincinnati. I pity their fans if they think Kitna is the answer.
quote]

There's not many people in Cincy that think Kitna's the answer. The most popular name for him around here is "Can't-na" (kinda silly, not too sure why that one stuck so well). Most Kitna-bashers have kept quiet the last few weeks, but there's not many people jumping on the Kitna bandwagon around here. We're all well aware of his past. If there was a public vote on who the starter should be for next year, then unless the Bengals make a Super Bowl run this year, it'd be about 90/10 in favor of Palmer.
phunkadelic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk