Dunta Robinson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dunta Robinson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dunta Robinson

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:06 pm

I don't care what anyone says, this guy needs a MAJOR suspension to maybe, finally make him realize that he can't do whatever he feels like doing. Got to be one of the dirtiest players in the game at this point and time.

After his hit on DeSean Jackson last year, knocking him completely out, I thought maybe he would learn something from that. But no, in fact he had to do it again against the same team. The shot he just took on Maclin was out right just dirty, Maclin wasn't knocked out, but it was just as nasty of a hit as most we saw last year.

I will be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of throwing a flag on EVERY 'football' hit/play, but at the same time I understand why the rules are in place. Worst part about this hit, yea as if seeing Maclin about get decapitated wasn't enough, but these jacka** refs left the bean bag in the belt. I mean this year they are supposed to have a ref for every wideout to call penalties, and somehow are totally oblivious to Robinson launching from the chest area to the head like a bullet with his face mask starring at the ground, leading 100%, no doubts with the crown of his helmet into the chin/face mask area of a receiver coming down with a ball. Just idiotic.

Then in this same game you have John Abraham coming off the edge, undercutting the tackle, Kafka releases the ball JUST as Abraham is ontop of him. John is a bit out of balance and stumbles towards Kafka, makes contact with his helmet, yes, in his lower back, he reaches out and grabs Kafka by the jersey (who was NOT hardly hit, nor would he have fallen) to make sure he stays upright. That is a personally foul roughing the passer 15 yard penalty.

So how was this called, but Robinson's attempted decapitation wasn't even conversed about besides the announcers who about came out of the booth with rage at both the hit, but more so how there wasn't even a thought about throwing a flag.

Overall I am coming around to the NFL putting these rules in to help aid a player getting hurt and not my former stance of its football, let them play. But at the same time what is it going to take to; A. make these outright dirty animals pay for their idiotic play on the field, out there to just 'punish' players and B. to call it even, I understand refs are only humans, but come on something that blatantly obvious HAS to be called, you can't miss something like that unless you are flat out not doing your job. In which case the ref should be penalized as well.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dunta Robinson

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:13 pm

yeah that hit was out of line. i think moreso even than the one of jackson last season. this one looked completely premeditated. he even threw a forearm into it for good measure. i hope they hit him with a massive fine. i love big hits as much as the next guy but there is no place for trying to hurt people...especially a helpless WR going across the middle.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Honestly tho on a side note about the hit, sounds dumb to say but Robinson I think actually got a bit lucky with this hit. Maclin luckily was turned and headed up field some, so caught Robinson flying at him at the last moment, so was able to shift/brace himself a bit for the hit. If it hadn't been for that I really think they would have been taking Maclin out on a stretcher tonight.

I agree, like I had said in my original post, I love me some big hits, but I couldn't agree more, make them cleanly. I just don't understand what was running through his head, yes I understand playing in the moment and adrenaline, but honestly that was just utter head hunting and out to severely harm that player. What gets me even more is this isn't the first time he has had this issue, and not the first time since the NFL implemented the whole 'headhunter rule'.

Just pisses me off, no place in this great sport for idiots like that.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby u_fig_eater » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:59 pm

I think he should be suspended. The fact that he was not flagged appears to make that more difficult to do. Then again, Goodell has the power to do anything he wants.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:23 pm

First, I agree about the hit. Second, my only defense to the refs may be that it looked at live speed like Maclin had time to become a runner...meaning he wasn't a "defenseless receiver" and thus not necessarily protected by that rule. Maybe that was their thinking...dunno.

There were two horrible calls of roughing the passer on the Falcons, while Jenkins of Philly hit Ryan right in the face and didn't get a call. The way that rule is officiated is a total crock...same as you, I know the refs are human but I see absolutely awful calls on that rule in almost every game.

And I don't like the way the NFL is "protecting" players. You know, 20 years ago, QBs wouldn't throw that ball to Maclin leading him right into a defender. But now, since you can barely run the ball at all and passing is so darn easy, almost every team is just airing it out on every play. As fast as everyone is moving toward where the ball is coming down, when you've got about 600 passes in a weekend, violent hits are going to happen.

If the league was really serious about protecting guys from these scary hits, they'd do what they did with kickoff returns - discourage how often they occur. Give cover corners more tools to work with - that will not only encourage less passing and more running, but also they guy tackling a WR will be someone COVERING the WR. Since there are only about 10 guys in the league that can cover a WR on their own, everyone else needs some type of zone coverage. All the nasty hits come from safeties and DBs in zone coverage running full speed toward the ball in the opposite direction the WR is running. Like I say, you see 600 passes on a weekend and bad things are bound to happen. If you give corners the ability to cover a WR, there will be less zone coverage and fewer of these scary hits.

So my soapbox speech really has nothing to do with Robinson's hit, because I agree completely. But the NFL continues to talk out both sides of their mouth about player safety and what they actually do to encourage player safety.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby u_fig_eater » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Re: dgan

Yea, Collinsworth touched on that fact; more passing means more plays where the QB leads the WR into a hit. By making it harder to defend the pass (by "protecting" the QB, disallowing hard hits, tight PA rules), in fact they are creating more dangerous conditions.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:31 am

they need to. if you look at the replay dunta's eyes are looking at the ground, he is spearheading maclin all the way. Not even an attempt to look up and go through the tackle.

susp him 1 game at least to get the point across, this is just bs.

I still think these qb penalties are a joke when they barely touch the qb but this is a whole different ballpark we're working with here
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Dolfan19 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:30 am

agree with the OP. i was just shaking my head after that play last night. I imagine it will be 50K and maybe 1 game. fingers crossed for 2 game suspension, but i don't think that's gonna happen...
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:38 am

dgan wrote:There were two horrible calls of roughing the passer on the Falcons, while Jenkins of Philly hit Ryan right in the face and didn't get a call. The way that rule is officiated is a total crock...same as you, I know the refs are human but I see absolutely awful calls on that rule in almost every game.

^^ Exactly, this is the second week in a row where Matt Ryan has been hit helmet to helmet and we haven't gotten a roughing the passer call for it. I saw Peyton literally get brushed on the helmet last year by someone's hand and he got a penalty, but Ryan hasn't gotten one call when he was tackled full speed and hit in the helmet. Doesn't make any sense.

I know Dunta deserves a fine, and it should be a hefty one, but definitely not a suspension imo. James Harrison gave way worse hits then this last season and only got fined for it.
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:12 pm

I know you are a Falcons homer and prolly lean toward the other direction on this about a suspension, but what is it gonna take to warrent a suspension? A broken neck? a career ended?

you must be kidding me if it takes 3 or more of these devastating hits from the same player to get a suspension, each one is a roll of the dice to end someone's career or horrible injury and this idiot just doesnt get it, thank god maclin moved a tiny bit at the last second so it clipped off the front of his helmet.

This has nothing to do with quarterback penalies from last night, that is a whole different story, this is a guy in the open field running full speed with the ball and having another guy running full speed at him with his helmet pointed directly at him like a batting ram.

dissapointed the league didnt suspend him, guess it will take a career ending injury to warrant one.

EDIT: btw, i'm a seahawk fan and hate the eagles
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Next

Return to Football Talk