Who is the guy in KC now? Jones or McCluster? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the guy in KC now? Jones or McCluster?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the guy in KC now? Jones or McCluster?

Postby ampant » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:05 am

With Jamaal Charles looking like he is done for the season, who is going to get the rock in KC? Jones is currently listed as the #2 guy on the roster, but a lot of folks seem to think McCluster will have a bigger role.

It will likely be some sort of an RBBC, but is it going to be like it was with TJ getting the goal-line carries and McCluster as the back between the 20s?
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the guy in KC now? Jones or McCluster?

Postby Chicago 2 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:10 am

ampant wrote:With Jamaal Charles looking like he is done for the season, who is going to get the rock in KC? Jones is currently listed as the #2 guy on the roster, but a lot of folks seem to think McCluster will have a bigger role.

It will likely be some sort of an RBBC, but is it going to be like it was with TJ getting the goal-line carries and McCluster as the back between the 20s?

Hoping it is McCluster getting alot of the carries, either way I'm a Charles owner and I would play neither of these guys over D. Thomas or J. Starks.

What I like about McCluster is that he is eligible to play WR or RB, might be worth starting in a WR3 spot or maybe at RB after I see what happens in week 3.
Chicago 2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby Sex Panther » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:14 am

Problem w/ McCluster is he's extremely small by NFL standards.

Problem w/Jones is he's anicent by NFL RB standards.

Problem w/ KC as a whole is they are going to be absolutely terrible by NFL standards.

If KC ever has a lead, IMO Jones would see the bulk of the work.

If KC ever get's within the 5, chances are Jones would see the carries (w/ the possiblity that McClain poaches).

When KC is playing from behind and getting murdered (which in all likelyhood is going to be pretty much on a weekly basis) McCluster will be the back on the field in passing situations.

I have the 1 waiver priority in 1 league & both are available, I really don't want to blow it on either of them...
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 6)

Postby ngub12 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 am

Sex Panther wrote:Problem w/ McCluster is he's extremely small by NFL standards.

Problem w/Jones is he's anicent by NFL RB standards.

Problem w/ KC as a whole is they are going to be absolutely terrible by NFL standards.

If KC ever has a lead, IMO Jones would see the bulk of the work.

If KC ever get's within the 5, chances are Jones would see the carries (w/ the possiblity that McClain poaches).

When KC is playing from behind and getting murdered (which in all likelyhood is going to be pretty much on a weekly basis) McCluster will be the back on the field in passing situations.

I have the 1 waiver priority in 1 league & both are available, I really don't want to blow it on either of them...

These were my exact thoughts yesterday when I saw him go down. None of the three look like they will be all too valuable.

KC is really just bad. They were bad last year. Zero of their wins last year were against a quality opponent. They didn't get any better over the offseason, and now they just lost their best player.

I wouldn't blow a top waiver pick either for any of the three.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cuffs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:00 pm

IMO, McCluster has more potential value between the two, but it's only because, as stated above, the Chiefs are going to be playing from behind a lot. I'd say more, but Sex Panther pretty much summed it up. I see his value as a WR3 in no-flex/3 WR leagues because, with enough carries, he is likely to be able to give you a consistent 5 fpts, and if your league counts return TDs, he should get one of those every now and then as well. (Special teams might be the only way KC scores this year.)
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Response Team
(Past Year: 35)

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:37 pm

The Chiefs without Moeaki or Charles and with Cassell sucking it up, no thanks. I don't care who the guy in KC is, he's not going to make my roster.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 pm

I actually think McClain might carry whatever value there is. He can run and catch and will get the goalline carries (both of them :-/ ). That said, I'm guessing KC goes out and gets someone off the scrap heap. Then there will be a 4man timeshare on a team that sucks and will always be playing from behind.

Good news is maybe this season goes so bad, Haley loses his job and Charles has a real coach next year...you figure 9-10 months of rehab and he'll be ready for preseason. Although, a guy like Charles, you probably need to expect an off year in his first season back. Usually that ACL deal steals a guy's quickness for that first season back.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby latraffic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Jones. He's a workhorse. Decent numbers every season and now he will get fed the rock til he drops in the traces. Might improve KC actually. I never thought Charles was worth all the hype. Now maybe they can get down to business. Because right now, they look unbelievably bad.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Ek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 pm

McCluster is more exciting and has more upside, but Haley seems to be a big believer in Jones, even when he had Charles available. I think this makes Jones serviceable as a matchup play/bye-week fill-in, but I wouldn't spend a lot of waiver $ or a high priority on him or McCluster. Jones is not dynamic at all anymore, so he needs a lot of touches to have a good game, and the Chiefs are not probably not going to have even one game this year where they're in a position to grind out the clock. There's a lot of potential for this to continue to be a committee situation, and not a productive one. I'd only put much effort into getting either if I were really hurting at RB (which may be the case for some Charles owners).
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Guru13 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:35 pm

latraffic wrote:Jones. He's a workhorse. Decent numbers every season and now he will get fed the rock til he drops in the traces. Might improve KC actually. I never thought Charles was worth all the hype. Now maybe they can get down to business. Because right now, they look unbelievably bad.

:-b what about Jamaal Charles wasn't worth all the hype?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Football Talk