Mike Williams (TB), what happened? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mike Williams (TB), what happened?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mike Williams (TB), what happened?

Postby MissLiner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:00 am

So I got .1 for Williams this week, which seems ridiculously low for a starting WR who played the whole game. I can't find any description of what happened with him - any TB/Minn fans that can fill me in? i.e., should I be worried?

Thanks!!
MissLiner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Mike Williams (TB), what happened?

Postby cyclepunk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 am

I came here wondering the same thing. :-t
cyclepunk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 am

I know he had like a 30 yard TD called back because of an illegal shift. Not sure why he had no other targets or receptions tho. It just seemed like Williams was in double coverage and every other TB WR and TE was benefitting from it.
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:02 pm

ATLbraves wrote:I know he had like a 30 yard TD called back because of an illegal shift. Not sure why he had no other targets or receptions tho. It just seemed like Williams was in double coverage and every other TB WR and TE was benefitting from it.

One of the reasons I really like Benn this season in deep leagues. That said, I think this won't happen to MW again either. That TD play was the difference between a solid week and the pile of hot garbage his owners got instead, but nevertheless I don't see him getting shut out (or worse, actually) again. Cause for pause, but nothing more at this point IMO :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Preston Parker is the WR I'm watching on this team. Minny's DBs appear to be improved this year.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mattb47 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Something maybe to look at too is that Minnesota has now done this in consecutive weeks to the top WR on each team.

Week 1: Vincent Jackson - 2 rec for 31 yards, no TD
Week 2: Mike Williams - 1 rec for -4 yards, no TD

Haven't watched either of their games so I don't know if it's something in particular they're doing to shut down these #1 WRs but right now they're 2 for 2.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:One of the reasons I really like Benn this season in deep leagues. That said, I think this won't happen to MW again either. That TD play was the difference between a solid week and the pile of hot garbage his owners got instead, but nevertheless I don't see him getting shut out (or worse, actually) again. Cause for pause, but nothing more at this point IMO :-?

I was one year off, I said last year he would out produce Williams. Really glad I took a second helping of Benn this year tho. Do I expect Benn to out produce Williams? Certain weeks yes definitely, a year as a whole, no. Benn is a super sleeper not only in fantasy, but in real ball to. He runs superb routes and is lightning fast, catching secondaries off balance. That said don't think that Williams production this week will happen again anytime soon.

mattb47 wrote:Something maybe to look at too is that Minnesota has now done this in consecutive weeks to the top WR on each team.

Haven't watched either of their games so I don't know if it's something in particular they're doing to shut down these #1 WRs but right now they're 2 for 2.

Was a bit late getting this point in, but awesome point out Matt. The Minny wall isn't the same Minny wall of old, but they are getting very good production as far as true pressure goes with Allen and Robinson, not to mention Williams will be back to join those two this up coming week. The major surprise for me tho is the 'other' Henderson, Erin is flat getting after it. His stats don't tell the whole story, he is great blitzing LB and seems to be in the backfield every play. Between the pressure from Allen, Robinson, Henderson and the occasional DB blitz and the coverage ability of both Greenway and Henderson they are just keeping offenses on their toes.

The more surprising stat tho is the fact that 3 of the top 4 tacklers on the Vikes D so far are DBs and they are keeping everything in front of them. They are towards the top of the heap in both plays of 20+ and 40+, only 5 plays of 20+ and 1 of 40+. Playing and ton of zones and switching up blitz packages are just keeping defenses guessing and most of the time guessing wrong. Also doesn't hurt that Winfield is playing like the stud corner he has been for so long and he is matching up against all of the top wideouts, when hes not they are blanketing over the top with ball hunter Cedric Griffin.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Yeah the poor production was a result of double-teams (the Vikes didn't think they had to worry about the other receivers). That didn't work so well for them; don't expect more teams to double-team Williams, now that the other receivers have proven dangerous.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby iamgregg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:56 pm

mattb47 wrote:Something maybe to look at too is that Minnesota has now done this in consecutive weeks to the top WR on each team.

I have watched both games and it's very much this. Minnesota are playing a lot of Cover 2 and are completely selling out to stop opposing teams top receivers and big plays. It's why both the Chargers and Buccs struggled in the first half trying to feed the ball to their WRs until they figured out they could just dink and dunk their way up and down the field. It's why Mike Williams had a down week and why Preston Parker put up the numbers he did. Simply a case of taking what the defense gives you.

For what it's worth, look what VJ did the week after. It's not the same situations, but don't read too much into this, MW will bounce back.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 am

Bad news for Megatron? If anyone can break this trend, it's him.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk