Trade for Vick or Newton? Give me some ideas ... WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Trade for Vick or Newton? Give me some ideas ... WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade for Vick or Newton? Give me some ideas ... WHIR

Postby schmidty » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Hey all. This squad is off to a 1-1 start (scored well in my loss - just ran into a juggernaut). I feel good about my overall strength and depth, with one exception - my QBs are pretty subpar. One team has practically been screaming out his wish to trade a QB for WR help. Maybe there's something we can do that improves both squads - or at least just mine! :-b

10-team Yahoo redraft. Normal scoring EXCEPT PPR, 6 pt passing TDs (-2 INT), and 1 pt/25 return yards. We start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF.

My team

QB: Roethlisberger, Bradford
RB: Chris Johnson, Hillis, Best, Reggie Bush
WR: Calvin Johnson, Marshall, Welker, Holmes, McCluster (also RB elig)
TE: Winslow, Hernandez
K: Gostkowski
DEF: Giants

His team
QB: Vick, Newton
RB: Forte, Steven Jackson, Sproles, Green-Ellis
WR: Bowe, Ochocinco, Burleson, Moore, Ginn Jr.
TE: Vernon Davis, Keller
K: Bryant
DEF: Lions

I see a couple simple things I could do - straight-up WR for QB. Holmes for Newton - unless he's massively overvaluing Newton, in which trading for him just won't happen with me. I could also throw in Bradford and pick up a WR from the WW (there are several decent ones there: including Nelson, Decker, Hines Ward, Meachem, Nate Washington). Or I could make a play for Vick - he hasn't had a great start and has been banged up; maybe now is a good time to buy low on him? Though I expect to get Vick, it would take Megatron/Bradford - maybe Welker as the WR at the worst.

Any suggestions? Do you like either of the proposed trades? Have one of your own? Or maybe I should stand pat, ride the Roethlisberger/Bradford combo out and keep my WR strength?

Leave a link and I'll help with yours!
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade for Vick or Newton? Give me some ideas ... WHIR

Postby sweettortilla » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:36 pm

I doubt you're going to get either of those guys without giving up one of your studs.

Have you considered targeting Schaub? The last two weeks he hasn't had to go big yet, but he will. I like him to bust out, and I bet you could get him for much much cheaper.
sweettortilla
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby schmidty » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm

sweettortilla wrote:I doubt you're going to get either of those guys without giving up one of your studs.

Megatron isn't a stud? :-S
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 22)

Postby rbem84 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

If you could get Newton for Holmes, I would definitely do that. However, even though his WR situation is pretty dire, if I were him, I'd look for better options elsewhere if you offered that. If Newton for Holmes was a no go, I'd go for Vick for Bradford and Megatron. I don't think Vick will be as elite as he was last year but he's still a great QB.

Mind taking a look at mine? http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=498215
rbem84
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LSUby50 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 pm

You'd be buying high on Cam right now so i'd pass on that and try to deal for Vick. He's a nice buy right now coming off a concussion and you have a nice backup Qb if you need it. Maybe start with an offer like roethlisburger and Marshall or welker for Vick? I'd also throw the Megatron + Bradford offer at him. I think either one helps you out.

mine?
viewtopic.php?t=498262
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Creamy Ballers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:57 pm

I don't know if I see anything there, either. I like Newton and, presumably, so does the guy who has him in your league, but you obviously don't like him all that much so I don't see a trade happening there. As for Vick, you just can't count on him as a week-to-week play. Roethlisberger and Bradford have had slow starts but I don't think either of them is a half bad fantasy QB the rest of the season. I definitely wouldn't give up an important cog in my team just to upgrade from either of them - especially Big Ben. I say stick with Ben - or wait til his trade value goes up a little and try to upgrade then.

Thanks for helping with mine.
Creamy Ballers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cubanrob19 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm

thanks for your help ...

the first thing I thought of after looking at both rosters (before I read your offers) was Holmes for Newton ... but there is a good chance that he see's Newton worth more than he really is because of his yardage total in these last two games. I agree that it would be best to target Vick right now, you can get him for a better deal.

I thinking Welker & Bradford for Vick ... or if he doesnt like that deal, you might try Holmes, Marshall & Bradford for Vick (Then Drop McCluster, and pick up Nelson and either Decker or Meachem off the WW)

best of luck!
RECORD: 1-3
QB: J.Cutler, M.Hasselbeck, T.Tebow
RB: L.McCoy, R.Mendenhall, F.Jones, L.Tomlinson, I.Redman
WR: D.Bryant, S.Holmes, Stevie Johnson, D.Nelson, N.Washington
TE: V.Davis
K: A.Henery
D/ST: Bengals
cubanrob19 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby liono123 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:23 pm

I wouldn't trade Megatron for either QB. If you can get Newton for Marshall or Welker + one of your QBs, I'd probably pull the trigger. You have WR depth and Newt is the real deal (in fantasy).

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=498265
12 Team $ (PPR + Return Yardage):
    QB: Tom Brady, Andy Dalton
    RB: Charles, Lynch, Martin, Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Rashad jennings, Joe McKnight, Leon Washington
    WR/TE: Antonio Brown, Brandon Lloyd, Randall Cobb, Ted Ginn
    K: Bryant
    DST: Bills
liono123
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions