NFL just gave Hakeem Nicks credit for 23 yard catch - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL just gave Hakeem Nicks credit for 23 yard catch

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL just gave Hakeem Nicks credit for 23 yard catch

Postby TaDa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Per Roto
Hakeem Nicks - WR - Giants

The NFL has credited Hakeem Nicks with a 23-yard reception from Week 2 after it was initially ruled a pass interference penalty.
It's a 2.3-point swing in standard scoring leagues, bringing Nicks' Week 2 stat line up from three catches for 15 yards and a touchdown to four grabs for 38 yards and the score. Fantasy commissioners will have to dictate in their own leagues how to treat the situation, but the play surely was a reception down the left sideline with Bradley Fletcher in coverage. For the season, Nicks is up to 11 grabs for 160 yards, plus the one TD.

I was up against Nicks, but luckily I had a 9 point cushion so I won't lose because of this
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Fleaflicker refuses to correct Nicks' stats

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:52 am

Flea's official explanation of not correcting Nicks' stats:

We put a lot of time and thought into the decision. Because the NFL took so long to make the ruling (after the scores finalized on Tuesday morning) we have decided not to change the official scoring for the players (Manning and Nicks) in their box. Therefore, all points will stand as of the official Tuesday morning finalization.

We realize that the NFL did change their statistics, so we are leaving it in the commissioner’s discretion to make the change to Manning and Nicks if they wish. We recommend you vote as a league with the commissioner having the final decision. Fleaflicker looks at these stat changes on a case-by-case basis and deemed the NFL changed this too late in the week for it to affect fantasy scores for Week 2. This is not to be used as a precedent by any means; we are not rescoring here so late on a Wednesday evening.

We will likely reflect the NFL’s stats shortly for fantasy tracking purposes, but will not rescore the game. Nicks will stay at 3 for 15 for fantasy purposes. I know this decision won’t please everyone, but with the commissioner having discretion (or by holding a league vote), we think it’s the fairest way to possibly score this scenario.

I don't agree with this decision.

http://www.fleaflicker.com/topic?forumsTopicId=19338
Last edited by u_fig_eater on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:51 am, edited 10 times in total.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Fleaflicker refuses to correct Nicks' stats

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:35 am

Agree completely with you. Terrible decision on Flea's part. Good thing Commishes can address that.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Re: Fleaflicker refuses to correct Nicks' stats

Postby Hippo45 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:39 am

u_fig_eater wrote:Flea's official explanation of not correcting Nicks' stats:

We put a lot of time and thought into the decision. Because the NFL took so long to make the ruling (after the scores finalized on Tuesday morning) we have decided not to change the official scoring for the players (Manning and Nicks) in their box. Therefore, all points will stand as of the official Tuesday morning finalization.

We realize that the NFL did change their statistics, so we are leaving it in the commissioner’s discretion to make the change to Manning and Nicks if they wish. We recommend you vote as a league with the commissioner having the final decision. Fleaflicker looks at these stat changes on a case-by-case basis and deemed the NFL changed this too late in the week for it to affect fantasy scores for Week 2. This is not to be used as a precedent by any means; we are not rescoring here so late on a Wednesday evening.

We will likely reflect the NFL’s stats shortly for fantasy tracking purposes, but will not rescore the game. Nicks will stay at 3 for 15 for fantasy purposes. I know this decision won’t please everyone, but with the commissioner having discretion (or by holding a league vote), we think it’s the fairest way to possibly score this scenario.

I don't agree with this decision.

http://www.fleaflicker.com/topic?forumsTopicId=19338

Fleaflicker is dumb. All stat changes are made on Thursday morning in the NFL. Thus, they would never change any player's stats because they finalize scores on Tuesday morning. Raiders defense got credited for a sack which is 1 point in many leagues and I doubt Fleaflicker changed the Raiders points.
Hippo45
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Re: NFL just gave Hakeem Nicks credit for 23 yard catch

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:40 pm

How does this happen? Isn't this a pretty binary thing; doesn't the ref either say "the penalty is declined" or say taht the penalty is accepted? It doesn't seem like this should be all that controversial...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:49 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:How does this happen? Isn't this a pretty binary thing; doesn't the ref either say "the penalty is declined" or say taht the penalty is accepted? It doesn't seem like this should be all that controversial...

Some penalties don't need coach's input for them to be applied. For instance, in the DAL/SF game, the Niners hit a FG but the refs applied a penalty that Dallas committed that wiped off the successful FG. The 9ers were upset since the FG gave them a 2-score lead.

Similarly, the Giants weren't given the option of declining the pass interference penalty. As noted here, Pass Interference penalties aren't options. As phrased in that link, they are "automatic". The fact the NFL applied the reception and yardage indicates the catch should have been applied, not the penalty.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:24 am

Kareighuis wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:How does this happen? Isn't this a pretty binary thing; doesn't the ref either say "the penalty is declined" or say taht the penalty is accepted? It doesn't seem like this should be all that controversial...

Some penalties don't need coach's input for them to be applied. For instance, in the DAL/SF game, the Niners hit a FG but the refs applied a penalty that Dallas committed that wiped off the successful FG. The 9ers were upset since the FG gave them a 2-score lead.

Similarly, the Giants weren't given the option of declining the pass interference penalty. As noted here, Pass Interference penalties aren't options. As phrased in that link, they are "automatic". The fact the NFL applied the reception and yardage indicates the catch should have been applied, not the penalty.

Not true.

3 and 5 - SD 29 6:48 12-T. Brady pass to 85-C. Ochocinco for 15 yards (20-A. Cason). PENALTY on San Diego, Defensive Pass Interference (declined).

Play-by-play here clearly states that defensive pass interference was declined. And in that SF/Dallas game, SF elected to take that penalty on the kickoff, no? Isn't that why everyone is talking about John Harbaugh's conservative coaching this week, because they decided to jsut take the 3 instead of go for 6 in the red zone? Grantd, I can see where on a play like the Nicks play, the coach wouldn't even worry about whehter it's a flag or a catch, since they both resulted in basically the same yardage anyways...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 am

Yea...I'm not sure where you're getting the "automatic" penalty thing from, there are some penalties that are pretty much automatic but nearly all of those are pre-snap penalties where there is no choice between what the play resulted in and taking the penalty. It is pretty standard though that if a player makes a catch but the defense gets called for Pass Interference that the penalty is generally declined though so I'm not surprised that they did that...I'm more surprised that they didn't change it in game though prior to when they decided to update those stats.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Best guess for the Nicks thing is that the PI took place where he caught the ball (and it was a pretty sick 1 handed catch).

No difference in yardage so went by the wayside during the boardcast (and the ESPN crew is terrible, so they didn't speak much - if at all - about the play).

Agree that's retarded on FF's part - if the NFL deems it a catch, it's a catch that should be reflected upon scoring.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Sex Panther wrote:Agree that's retarded on FF's part - if the NFL deems it a catch, it's a catch that should be reflected upon scoring.

You're at least the second person to say it's retarded. I have to disagree. Many leagues have their own rules about when a scoring change can and can't be applied, and leaving it to the league commish is the best way to make sure that the league follows their particular rules for it IMO
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk