Antonio Gates - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Antonio Gates

Moderator: Football Moderators

Antonio Gates

Postby Stevooo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 pm

Gates did not practice Wednesday, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. The report notes that Gates appeared to be in some minor discomfort due to his lingering foot issue after Week 2's game, but it's uncertain if Wednesday's absence was maintenance-related, or the result of a setback with his foot. Anyone heard anything else about this and if this will effect Sunday?
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Antonio Gates

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:43 pm

eh he'll play, he's got that plantar fasciitis. It's a cronic condition that requires rest and pain management. He's going to miss plenty of practices this year, but will play. Will it affect his stats? That's the million dollar question.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm selling high in the dynasty leagues that I own him. It may turn out to be a mistake, but I believe his days as an elite TE may be over. I doubt Gates will have another catchless game this year like he did against the Pats, but I've read that his foot will be a problem for the rest of his career. He did not look like the dominant Gates I remember the past two weeks I've watched him.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:50 am

Im pissed at last weeks performance but NE geared to stop him. Thats why Jackson destroyed them.

I was a little worried about the injury coming back but I have confidence he will play and do rather well.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mattb47 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 am

Foot injuries don't go away...they've ended many athlete's careers and Gates is suffering through it in the last years of his career. He'll probably never be the force he once was at the TE position but he's tough and still talented enough to have some good games. It used to be pretty much impossible to shut him down the way he was shut down last week no matter what the defense tried to do to him but now with some effort teams can take him out of games.

I agree that in dynasty leagues the time to sell on Gates will be the next time he has a good game as he's still bound to have some big performances here and there but I would take pretty much all the other elite TE's over Gates right now.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:14 am

As a Gates owner, last week was a disappointment for sure. He has lost a step IMO and has become coverable. Compared to a few years ago when he was destroying defenses down the middle. I am considering sitting him this week for Jimmy Graham...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:49 am

I love Gates, he's a WR1 from the TE slot when he's right. I resisted the urge to draft him in all my leagues save 1...

I may end up regretting this by I moved him today (it looks like) along with Sproles/Meachem/D. nelson for Finley/SJax/Cadillac/Floyd...

Not exactly the eptitome of healthy and stability in Finley, but I could use the RB help & wanted to divorce myslef from the foot situation.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Per Roto:

As of Thursday night, Antonio Gates (foot) was not believed to be in jeopardy of missing Sunday's game against the Chiefs.
Gates has yet to practice this week, but the North County Times considers all starters likely to play except Malcom Floyd (groin). Check back Friday afternoon for Gates' practice participation.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 pm

I've been playing fantasy football for 7 or 8 years and this is the first year I've ever owned Gates. I knew he had this injury last year, so as insurance I took Dallas Clark as a back-up TE in the 9th rd (fell due to Mannings injury). I then took A. Hernandez w/ my last pick (deep benches so carrying 3 TE's doesn't bother me). I'm looking at the injury report this week and it reads: Gates (Q), D. Clark (Q), A. Hernandez (O). Screw that.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Antonio Gates and Malcolm Floyd out

Postby KK_Cowboy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Watching NFL Total Access and it has been reported both are out for tomorrow vs KC.
KK_Cowboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk