League Debate About Completed Trade WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

League Debate About Completed Trade WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

League Debate About Completed Trade WHIR

Postby rdj3385 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:17 pm

So, for starters, the commish and I completed a trade yesterday. The league is set for "commish approval." I personally have never enjoyed league votes on trades as people rarely look at trades objectively enough. Either way, once the trade was finalized, a couple owners chimed in claiming the trade was too lopsided, and claiming collusions between us.

His Roster:
QB - Brees, Kolb, Schaub
RB - Charles, LT, P Thomas, D Williams
WR - Jennings, Lloyd, Burleson, Knox, Edwards
TE - Finley

My Roster:
QB - Romo (no backup, but had claim in for Cam Newton to drop Schaub whom I aquired in the trade.)
RB - McCoy, Benson, F Jackson, Moreno, Tolbert, Greene, and D Thomas
WR - A Johnson, Wallace, Bryant, Maclin
TE - Lewis

The Trade:

He gives - Jennings and FInley. He also threw in Charles and Schaub (I told him to throw in whichever player he wanted to make it even, and he chose Schaub. He would have ended up being dropped the other way.)

I Give - F Jackson, Tolbert, Maclin, and Lewis (He chose Maclin over Bryant.)

The leauge is claiming that I have gotten way to much in this trade. Consider this...I drafted 7 quality RB's for this exact reason. When the season gets rolling, I could see which were performing, and trade them to the first person in dire need. He had just lost Charles and had very little depth to begin with. I found a way to upgrade WR and TE, and he pulled two quality RB's who are starters on his team.

So I know this has gotten long winded, but I am really curious to get an objective opinion from you guys. The most important factor in a trade, as I see it, is whether or not it benefits both teams. As it turns out, I would have had a very difficult time dealing Tolbert and Jackson if I didnt have plenty of quality RB's. If anything, I could see this trade being lopsided to his favor. But as it sits, he got two starting RB's and I got a better starting WR, and a pretty good TE.
rdj3385
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: League Debate About Completed Trade WHIR

Postby Jetsfan819 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm not a fan of vetoing unless there is collusion. Personally I don't see what the problem is at all here. F-Jax could be in for a great year, so while Jennings is the best player I don't think this is a ridiculous trade. I do think you do quite well for yourself though
16 Team .5 PPR
QB-Josh Freeman(Andy Dalton)
RB/WR-Rashard Mendenhall(Shonn Greene)
RB/WR-Ben Tate(Deji Karim)
RB/WR-Stephen Jackson
WR/TE-Kenny Britt(Jacoby Ford)
WR/TE-Steve Smith, CAR
TE-Dustin Keller(Tony Scheffler)
DEF-Atlanta Falcons
K-Jason Hanson
Jetsfan819
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Philly_05 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:46 pm

I think you probably won the trade but it's no collusion. But I never really liked the commissioner having the final say in all trades. I would rather see differing opinions on values that one supreme power having all the say with your input meaning nothing.

On the other hand what are you going to be doing at HB? Or is the hope that your WR's and McCoy will be plenty to carry you the rest of the way?

Help on mine?
viewtopic.php?t=498218
QB- Roethlisberger, Rivers, Foles
RB- McCoy, Lynch, L James, Ivory, F Jackson, D Thomas, Turbin
WR- Julio, Bowe, D Bryant, D Jax, Amendola, Broyles, Gordon, Hill
TE- Celek, D Allen
DEF- Giants
K- Zuerlin
D- D Washington, S Weatherspoon, L Kuechly
Philly_05
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby osbtensor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:51 pm

I would say this is a bad trade on his part.... but not so much that it says collusion.

TE is a pretty deep position this year so he could have dropped lewis and found someone who is a good replacement (tho, not finley quality).

so really it's the jennings part that is the issue.. and jennings hasn't been lights out by any stretch this year (i have him, i know). jackson and tolbet for jennings is completely acceptable.

not sure why he would want maclin over bryant, but that's personal opinion. and "throwing in" schaub is silly as hell, but he's got three qb so i guess this too is acceptable. i would have given kolb first. houston looks much better than arizona for the year production wise, but again, it's not really that lopsided, just someones opinion.

i think he's a a crappy player, but that doesn't make it collusion.. i pulled off a trade last week where i gave up wayne/clark for megatron/forte. anything is possible.

what position is HB? i'm confused...
osbtensor
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 am

if you just want simple answer, my answer is fair trade
if you willing to read long speech, below are my reasons

first. i like how you drafted bunch potential RB and wait for it to shine, i think it's the best way to pick bench, i did same thing for myself, except i started with potential QB and WR, and give me advantage when trading. it's just part of drafting strategy and it paid off when you grabbed all the potential RB bench.

second, lost Charles is unexpected, and you happen to be the one that has deepest RB in the league, therefore, i assume nobody else in the league will be willing to trade a equal value RB for G.Jenning. Unless there's someone provide better offer like Mendy, McCoy, Forte or some stud RB for Jenning, and Jenning owner rejected it and trade with you, otherwise, league leave G.Jenning no choice but to trade with you since you are the only one that's able to provide his need.

third, like you said, it's beneficial trade for both team.
points he'll be able to get from F.Jackson and Tolbert is more than points he will lose from downgrading Jenning to Maclin and Finley to Lewis, as for you, you basically transfer your RB depth into starting power.

fourth, i believe Jenning owner know what he is up to when the whole league is talking about this trade, and still make the trade. As long as it's not some experienced manager take advantage on new managers, then it's fair

fifth, TE is deep this year, therefore, upgrade TE is not as significant as people think it was, therefore, getting Finley is less important.

does Jenning/Schaub/Finley out weigh Tolbert/F.Jackson/Maclin/Lewis ??
yes, it does out weigh, and on paper it's not 50/50 fair.
but taking league situation and whole drafting result into consideration, it is the best result
i think best trade is when both team improve and make other 8 teams worry.

but as you mentioned, he want give Schaub instead of Kolb and like to get Maclin instead of D.Bryant, that's his personal choice.

the only time i think this trade should be veto is when someone provide better RB options and he rejected it, then turn to you.

there's never 100% balance trade, it's all about Economic 101 Needs/Wants.

PS - no offense, but for Wayne/Clark for CJ/Forte trade, now, that's something league should veto :-°
Last edited by Chaoyi Shih on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 230)

Postby Those About To Rock » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:09 am

With Charles out, I can understand his trade. I actually don't think this trade is a landslide at all.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions