Is Culpepper a good NFL QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Culpepper a good NFL QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Culpepper a good NFL QB?

Postby Spear-Chucker » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:00 pm

A couple of years ago I thought Daunte was going to be great. Since I have Moss on my team I have watched every Viking game this year and I don`t know if Culpepper is that good. Moss and the offense was more effective with Ferotte at QB. It seems like Daunte forces the ball and is late getting rid of the ball, also his reads are slow. I know when you look at the game stats he racks up points but if you watch him week in and week out he seems to struggle. Am I the only one jumping off the bandwagon?
Spear-Chucker
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:07 pm

Definitely you are not the only one. I am a die-hard Viking fan and I have been talking about this all year. He is a great fantasy QB because he gets so many chances. As far as the NFL, he has a ton of problems. I have said this before but can't find where I put it so here is what I think:

1. He has bad field vision. He stands in the pocket and throws into double coverage when he has a guy open down field. Which leads to #2.

2. He isn't afraid of throwing into double coverage when it is to Kliensasser or Burleson but will never force the ball to one of the best WRs in the game. Last year he tried to force it to Moss because of the "Randy Ratio." He is almost scared to throw it to him now unless he is wide open.

3. He has lost some accuracy. He can throw the ball but he can't hit a guy in the chest with the ball. Like yesterday he had Onterrio wide open down-field and all he had to do was lob it over there and he would have had a bunch of yards. Instead he throws a bad pass and he has to jump and fall and it is incomplete. He used to be able to call a WR fly pattern down field and throw it as far as he can and hit Moss in stride. he has lost this ability. Now when he throws it Moss has to run and then stop and wait for the ball and by that time the CB has caught up with him.

4. Running... he used to be considered a very good running QB. he used to run over DB. He is 265 pounds and until yesterday he always was scaraed to lower a should and punish a DB. I was almost amazed when he did that yesterday. The other problem is that when he does run still instead of just running straight and running over a guy he starts trying to juke guys out and starts doing studder steps and all that crap. He has terrible balance so he ends up tripping on his own feet for about 2 yeards. He tries to get too fancy. Just run straight ahead.

That is pretty much all I can think of. I think I had another one, but I can't remember it right now.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby deftdelivery » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:50 pm

I think his fantasy value completely overshadows his actual skill...the guy is a talented QB, but he doesnt appear to be too bright or able to adjust his game. He seems to be making the same mistakes game after game. For fantasy owners, he's able to crank out tons of passing yards with some nice rushing yards...but that's after he's thrown 2 or 3 picks

If he only worked on his game...
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:10 pm

That would be a vote no then Zimm?jk

I wonder if he is having some mobility problems from his back injury? he just doesn't look comfortable. He still has way too much talent and too high scoring of a system to not be a great ff player.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:44 pm

These are all valid points....however with all these things being said, is there more than one or two QB's you can name that you would rather have on your squad right now? Only one I can think of is Manning, and I'll take Culpepper any day. He's a big reason why I'm 10-3 and am in 1st place in my league....

Friendliness: %

Postby TTTBone » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:00 pm

I think Culpepper is an above average NFL quarterback right now, and could be a great one. However, I do agree with Zimm, he needs to improve his field vision, and has to be willing to take off running a little quicker. He's still young and learning, and is probably taking a little too much heat this year based on last year's turnover problems. I know the QB usually gets the credit and the blame, but this doesn't seem to be the case with Culpepper. If he has a big day and the Vikings win, people say "yeah, but look at all the weapons he has." If the Vikes lose and Culpepper happens to fumble or throw a pick or two, they put it all on Dante's shoulders (even if the defense gives up 30+). I think Dante is definately feeling the pressure to perform, and is perhaps trying too hard, rather than letting the game come to him and take what the defenses gives. That being said, the Vikings have bigger problems than the QB position, and I hope Dante can prove all the doubters wrong.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:55 am

Unfortunately, I've never been more down on the guy. Right now I'd take Manning, Bulger, Pennington, McNabb, Vick, I'd even trade him for the rights to Eli Manning (for the Vikings QB).

I doubt he ever can stop the fumbling. I saw that fumble near the goal line before it even happened. I think he can be an accurate passer, and can learn to cut down on his INT's, but the fumbling is going to be a staple of his play. When you add in the INT's and see he doesn't run so much anymore, it takes away from his value as a fantasy player.

You can be sure some media idiot will stumble across a real fan's point of view and find they have a whole new QB controversy to sell to the public.

I hate doing their dirty work. :-t
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:10 am

Anonymous wrote:These are all valid points....however with all these things being said, is there more than one or two QB's you can name that you would rather have on your squad right now? Only one I can think of is Manning, and I'll take Culpepper any day. He's a big reason why I'm 10-3 and am in 1st place in my league....
Yes, Daunte is a great fantasy QB. We are saying NFL QB. You are right, I would take him over almost any other QB if I am doing fantasy. I agree with all of you guys. As far as his fumbling, he can't help fumbling because he has small hands. His hands are smaller than they should be, seriously. He can't hang on to the ball.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Super Freak » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:11 am

M_Zimm wrote:Definitely you are not the only one. I am a die-hard Viking fan and I have been talking about this all year. He is a great fantasy QB because he gets so many chances. As far as the NFL, he has a ton of problems. I have said this before but can't find where I put it so here is what I think:

1. He has bad field vision. He stands in the pocket and throws into double coverage when he has a guy open down field. Which leads to #2.

2. He isn't afraid of throwing into double coverage when it is to Kliensasser or Burleson but will never force the ball to one of the best WRs in the game. Last year he tried to force it to Moss because of the "Randy Ratio." He is almost scared to throw it to him now unless he is wide open.

3. He has lost some accuracy. He can throw the ball but he can't hit a guy in the chest with the ball. Like yesterday he had Onterrio wide open down-field and all he had to do was lob it over there and he would have had a bunch of yards. Instead he throws a bad pass and he has to jump and fall and it is incomplete. He used to be able to call a WR fly pattern down field and throw it as far as he can and hit Moss in stride. he has lost this ability. Now when he throws it Moss has to run and then stop and wait for the ball and by that time the CB has caught up with him.

4. Running... he used to be considered a very good running QB. he used to run over DB. He is 265 pounds and until yesterday he always was scaraed to lower a should and punish a DB. I was almost amazed when he did that yesterday. The other problem is that when he does run still instead of just running straight and running over a guy he starts trying to juke guys out and starts doing studder steps and all that crap. He has terrible balance so he ends up tripping on his own feet for about 2 yeards. He tries to get too fancy. Just run straight ahead.

That is pretty much all I can think of. I think I had another one, but I can't remember it right now.

I am a Viking fan and i agree with ZIMM he is a bad NFL qb but a good FF qb
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby emaja » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:36 am

He might not be a great NFL QB, but I can assure you that there are almost a dozen teams that he would make an improvement on.

Listed - because I know that someone will ask for it -

Miami - Fiedler or Greise, come on!
Baltimore - UGH
Cleveland - bad QB by committee
Pittsburgh - with those WR's CPepp would light it up weekly
Oakland - Gannon is done and neither Tui or Mirer are the answer
San Diego - Flutlie Flakes or Brees? Really
Dallas - Q is brutal
Washington - Ramsey and Hass will die, at least Duante can move
Chicago - Might be hot, but they need a better QB than Slash
Carolina - Delhomme is winning, but he's not that good
Arizona - Blake stinks

So that's eleven. If you asked the GM's of those teams if they make a trade, their current QB for Culpepper straight up, they would not even have to think about it - as long as cap issues were not involved.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Next

Return to Football Talk