Is Culpepper a good NFL QB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Culpepper a good NFL QB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby latraffic » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:57 am

Dante is sloppy. Period. He needs to spend the offseason learning the fundamentals. The reason he is a good FF QB but a so-so NFL QB is his backlot approach to the game. It is not enough to play by the seat of your pants and throw into double coverage to "make a play." NFL football is a game of precision.

Locking in on a WR, not reading the defense, not checking off, holding the ball down around the hips which allows fumbles... all can be corrected. Culpepper needs a good QB coach, a VET QB backup to help him correct and a desire to learn the role of a QB in the NFL. Until then, he will continue to be a disappointment.

Until he commits himself to being a smart QB the Vikings can keep him. I'll stick with Mirer in Oakland. At least he never gets my hopes up. :~(
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:01 pm

The only stupid question is the one never asked, so i won't call this one stupid, but ridiculous. Not only is he good but he is on the verge of being really good. You don't start in the NFL unless you have the ability to out shine any one else in your positon. And, the high profile position of a QB has tremendous pressure, Duante is a class act and like emaja stated many teams would jump at the chance of having C-pep on their team running the O. . . I know i would, even if my QB was marc bulgy
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:13 pm

Where I don't think Daunte is a real good QB, emaja is right, there aren't a whole lot of teams that wouldn't take him. I can't think of many. Here is all I could come up with where he may be a downgrade or not an upgrade:
Indy
Tenn

Then there are the places like NYJ, GB, Philly, Atl, ect where they probably have a guy that is about as good or maybe a little better. I don't think Daunte is BETTER than:
Penny
Manning
McNair
McNabb, maybe :-?
Vick, healthy :-?
Favre, maybe not ? :-?

So he is still a top 10 QB easily. And that is in my book which you all know how I feel about him...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:49 pm

IMO Big D is one of the NFL's best players. Not many players can put up HUGE numbers throughout the season like he can. If I were to start a team today Daunte or Vick would be my first choice of QB. Peyton is surrounded with a better balance of talent and a more consistant O line. He or Penny will never be able to move around like Daunte and create big plays even if coverage is good down the field. He is having a Bad streak of turn overs but he more than makes up for it in other areas.

Friendliness: %

Postby steelyeri » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:51 pm

^ oops that was me forgot to log in. :-°

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:IMO Big D is one of the NFL's best players. Not many players can put up HUGE numbers throughout the season like he can. If I were to start a team today Daunte or Vick would be my first choice of QB. Peyton is surrounded with a better balance of talent and a more consistant O line. He or Penny will never be able to move around like Daunte and create big plays even if coverage is good down the field. He is having a Bad streak of turn overs but he more than makes up for it in other areas.

2 years is a stinkin long turn over streak...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TTTBone » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:47 pm

Okay, my take...
Dante is good, but not good enough to carry this Viking team, even with Moss, Benett and Moe. Tice is trying to address the Denny Green inherited problems of relying completely on offense, but it will take another year or maybe two. That defense was left in a complete shambles! Chaveous and the secondary are looking better, but they're young, inexperienced, and a year or two away as a defense. D-Line (Hovan) and linebackers have underperformed, and that is where most of the blame for the losses lies.
Dante, probably takes a little too much heat, although his field vision and ball handling can be questioned. Thing is, I think his problems derive from the lack of defense, and then Culpepper trying too hard to make up for it and thus creating turnovers. Also, the total lack of ability to pick up the blitz does call into question the coaching of Tice and his crew.
Dante will be a good NFL QB, but right now, I agree, he isn't responding well to the leadership role that has been thrust upon him.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:49 pm

Please, don't get me started on our defense. We have too many problems to put on paper. You saw how long my complaints about Daunte were, I have at least twice as many about our D...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TTTBone » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:01 pm

M_Zimm wrote:Please, don't get me started on our defense. We have too many problems to put on paper. You saw how long my complaints about Daunte were, I have at least twice as many about our D...

Did you know...
Hovan's #s for last week were, 0 tackles, 0 assists, and 0 sacks. What's happened to the guy? I watched the game and they were maybe double-teaming the guy 25% of the time. I love the guy's heart and tenacity, but he can't use the excuse of "well, I'm double-teamed every play" anymore. Jeez, the guy's gotta pick it up. A huge talent who just isn't performing right now.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:05 pm

TTTBone wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:Please, don't get me started on our defense. We have too many problems to put on paper. You saw how long my complaints about Daunte were, I have at least twice as many about our D...

Did you know...
Hovan's #s for last week were, 0 tackles, 0 assists, and 0 sacks. What's happened to the guy? I watched the game and they were maybe double-teaming the guy 25% of the time. I love the guy's heart and tenacity, but he can't use the excuse of "well, I'm double-teamed every play" anymore. Jeez, the guy's gotta pick it up. A huge talent who just isn't performing right now.

yea, I know. He was supposed to be a great guy. K-Will was supposed to help him. Now e is just doing terrible. Kevin leads our team in sacks. It is sad.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk