Steve Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steve Smith

Postby Jeff Kearns » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Is it to early to think that Steve Smith could be one of the elite fantasy receivers and a must-start every week?
Jeff Kearns
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Steve Smith

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 am

All Smith has needed was a decent QB for him to be elite and it appears he has an elite QB. Steve Smith is now a must start until we are proven otherwise. Smith is a hard worker on and off the field and that will pay dividends this year and in the future. I will not be surprised to see this production continue and for Smith to end the season as a top 5 WR.

I would never have guessed I would be typing these words 3 weeks ago. I regret that I only drafted Smith in one league.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Guru13 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:55 am

Disagree. Smith will fall off the table here shortly; as will Newton.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:14 am

Smith has always had elite talent, just injuries and bad QB situations have haunted him and brought his numbers down but now that he has a QB with a big arm who can get him the ball downfield, he should continue to see solid numbers. Newton won't keep up the level of production he's getting right now in the passing game but the thing that wont change is that he looks Smith's way early and often in each game and those targets are invaluable. I think he's a rock solid WR1 right now and that's probably a huge advantage as most drafted him as no higher than a WR2.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 am

TexasBornCowboysFan wrote:it appears he has an elite QB.

Whoa - hold on a bit. It has been 2 games. Defenses are going to figure him out and he will not keep up this production. Time will tell if he ends up an elite, decent, good or bust, but for the time being Smith is going to benefit. I agree with Matt - even when Newton comes back to earth, Smith is going to be his target.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Thor » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:20 pm

TexasBornCowboysFan wrote:All Smith has needed was a decent QB for him to be elite and it appears he has an elite QB.

Did you just call Cam Newton an "elite" QB? :-*
14 Team 5 pts per 5 receptions
QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, TE, FLEX(WR/TE), K, DST
QB- Romo, Freeman, Manuel
RB- Sproles, J Bell, Bernard, W McGahee
WR - Megatron, D Bryant, V Brown, A Jeffery, R Randle, P Harvin(IR)
TE- J Graham, Sudfeld
K- Hartley
DST - Dallas
Thor
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 85)

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Thor wrote:
TexasBornCowboysFan wrote:All Smith has needed was a decent QB for him to be elite and it appears he has an elite QB.

Did you just call Cam Newton an "elite" QB? :-*

I think he meant it like a hacker term. Elite skills, mad skills, that kind of thing. Most teams aren't going to be able to shut down Smith because Newton will either go elsewhere with the ball or run for incredible yardage. Teams with a "shutdown" corner (or the closest thing you get to that in the league) can probably be counted on one hand. I.e. for most teams, paying special attention to Smith is too expensive.

If those two stay healthy, it's not hard picturing them as the top QB/WR duo of the year.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk