Who is the best PURE passing QB ??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the best PURE passing QB ???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TTTBone » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:19 pm

Okay, maybe I was trying to raise a flag a little bit here, but didn't want to offend anyone by claiming that their not considering McNair had anything to do with race. I'm absolutely sure it didn't. I'm with you on Manning and Penny here. I probably should let this drop (really I probably should), but I just can't help but observe that there's a good percentage of the public and media who, while not under-rating their worth, always point out the "athletic ability" of black quarterbacks. Culpepper, McNair (especially early in his career), McNabb, Cunningham, and even Warren Moon all got the tag of "what incredible athletic ability!" Yes, they are great athletes, but really, how often do you hear this phrase applied to white quarterbacks. Rich Gannon, Brett Favre, Steve Young, they're all "smart" players. This term of "athletic ability" is somewhat of a buzzword to imply that an excess of "athletic ability" is making up for a lack of skill or smarts. Which is not at all the case. Limbaugh implied this, and I've seen it first hand with Viking fans and Culpepper. Living in Minneapolis, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard in bars, at work, on the radio, that Culpepper is just dumb and can't figure the game out, despite his "athletic ability". I know I'm in for a firestorm here, but I'll tell you this, whenever I hear an NFL commentator or analyst say "the coaches really like his athletic ability," that usually means "yea, he's got talent, but they don't think he's too smart."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Purple_Pride » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:04 pm

i think we all heard enough of the race issue when limbaugh came out with his famous Mcnabb quotes. not trying to be a jackass but i think you should take your own advice and drop this. for everyone elses sake. the media loves the guy and so does everyone else, he's a great QB so lets all be happy. ;-)
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:09 pm

TTTBone wrote:Okay, maybe I was trying to raise a flag a little bit here, but didn't want to offend anyone by claiming that their not considering McNair had anything to do with race. I'm absolutely sure it didn't. I'm with you on Manning and Penny here. I probably should let this drop (really I probably should), but I just can't help but observe that there's a good percentage of the public and media who, while not under-rating their worth, always point out the "athletic ability" of black quarterbacks. Culpepper, McNair (especially early in his career), McNabb, Cunningham, and even Warren Moon all got the tag of "what incredible athletic ability!" Yes, they are great athletes, but really, how often do you hear this phrase applied to white quarterbacks. Rich Gannon, Brett Favre, Steve Young, they're all "smart" players. This term of "athletic ability" is somewhat of a buzzword to imply that an excess of "athletic ability" is making up for a lack of skill or smarts. Which is not at all the case. Limbaugh implied this, and I've seen it first hand with Viking fans and Culpepper. Living in Minneapolis, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard in bars, at work, on the radio, that Culpepper is just dumb and can't figure the game out, despite his "athletic ability". I know I'm in for a firestorm here, but I'll tell you this, whenever I hear an NFL commentator or analyst say "the coaches really like his athletic ability," that usually means "yea, he's got talent, but they don't think he's too smart."

I agree with you 100%. I think some people don't realize, or want to admit they are being racist when they make comments like that. What is a "pure passer" anyway? How well you throw the ball downfield doesn't determine how good of a QB you are. If so, Jeff George would still be in the league and Chad Pennington wouldn't. Fact of the matter is, Steve McNair is the best QB this league has to offer.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ramsalldaway514 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:23 pm

Best pure passer in the NFL is Manning
ramsalldaway514
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby showtyme505 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:55 pm

Anyone who thinks Manning is a better pure passer than BRETT FAVRE is loco. Favre is the best in the game at this.........STILL.
Favre, McNabb, Collins
S. Davis, R. Williams, D. Foster, W. Dunn, T. Wheatley
Toomer, K-Rob, Hakim, S. Smith
Becht, Boo Williams
Vinatieri
showtyme505
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby fantasizing » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:15 pm

Where does M.Vick fit into all this?????

Everyone on this side of the planet has been hailing him as the next great QB, but the fact is, he's done NOTHING yet to prove himself as a good passer. In fact, I'm not quite sure he can even throw it deep. He runs around like a chicken, and picks up first downs with his legs, BUT is he an accurate passer who makes good decisions?????
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TTTBone » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:29 pm

fantasizing wrote:Where does M.Vick fit into all this?????

Everyone on this side of the planet has been hailing him as the next great QB, but the fact is, he's done NOTHING yet to prove himself as a good passer. In fact, I'm not quite sure he can even throw it deep. He runs around like a chicken, and picks up first downs with his legs, BUT is he an accurate passer who makes good decisions?????

Well, I think throwing for 2900+ yds and 16 tds and 8 ints (15 starts) in 2002, makes him a darn good passer. Who's done better their first year starting other than Marino? Oh yeah, without any decent wide receivers, unless you count Brian Finneran as a top wideout. Once again, you're considering his running skills (8 rushing tds 2002) and overlooking his passing ability. The guy's got it all, even if he has burned all us fantasy prognosticators this year.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:00 am

From what I understand, Mr. Vick has a cannon for an arm.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboysguy2000 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:33 am

fantasizing wrote:Where does M.Vick fit into all this?????

Vick dosn't need an arm to be a revolutionary QB. If he just stuck that ball between his knees and hobbled towards the endzone he'd still beat the defence.

But I've heard he has an awesome arm too. And from what I've seen, it looks like he has an awesome arm.
Cowboysguy2000
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Phinphan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:50 am

Right now I have to agree that Manning is the man..I like Pennington too and think that this kid in Jax will be big, I was watching him the other night and he can make all the throws too, watch and time will tell.
Phinphan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk