Need your help badly!!! Yahoo Players!!! Please!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Need your help badly!!! Yahoo Players!!! Please!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need your help badly!!! Yahoo Players!!! Please!!!

Postby Farmboy12 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:27 pm

Here's the deal. I'm locked in a close battle for first place right now and have Santana playing tonight. I'm not sure how many points I need because there is a discrepency between Yahoo Stat Stracker and the scores posted on my league's site on Monday. The discrepency comes down to the blocked punt that CLE scored on in the 4th quarter vs. SEA. Since SEA is my D the difference in points allowed may make the difference between me winning and losing. So, does the blocked punt TD count against my defense as 7 points (like it says on the site) or only as 1 point (as stat tracker has--I'm obviously responsible for the xtra point either way)???? Does yahoo count special teams TD's like a blocked punt for a TD against the D or does it not count??? Please help.
Farmboy12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1crzydmnd » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:30 pm

I think it counts as 1....but don't quote me on that. :-)
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:32 pm

In my few past experiences with this, the score on yahoo's site was the one that stuck and counted, while the scoring in the stattracker was disregarded.

In this case however, it sounds like the stattracker has it scored correctly, so it's hard to say....
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby BradtheImpaler » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:34 pm

you and a million other ppl can save yourself headaches by switchiung to Individual defensive players next year....yahoo always has some sort of screw-ups with what points go to who on these screwy plays concerning defensive/st scores and stuff like that
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Farmboy12 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:09 am

Alright guys. Now that the MNF game has ended, I am either tied or going to lose by 3 on this one play. Please let me know how you think the CLE blocked punt for a TD will be scored against my SEA D.
Farmboy12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:38 am

I don't see why it wouldn't count against their D. If they returned a punt for a TD it should count. I don't see why scoring on a block of the punt would make any difference.

Generally speaking, you get the D and the special teams. That was certainly a special teams score against Sea D.

Actually, I can't see any reason why every point scored wouldn't be against the D. Often the 'official' score isn't settled until thursday or so, so I would expect a loss. If the weekend comes and you still have a 'W' consider yourself very lucky.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

intersesting...

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:14 am

The whole issue seems to be about what is a "defence" and what is an "offence" and what yahoo uses etc...

I don't think yahoo includes special teams in their scoring. I could be wrong. I think their defences (at least in public leagues) are the squads that are on the field whenever the "offence" or "special teams" ... ok, now what are "special teams" ...

Special Teams:
Punting/Kick-off Unit
Field Goal Unit
Punt/Kick Return Unit

Offence:
I would try to define this as "the squad that is on the field when your team has the ball and is not going to be kicking" The problem with this definition is if, say, the holder who can be the first string QB does a fake and throws a TD...

Then, sort of by elimination, Defence:
opps have the ball and are not kicking off/ punting. (but I guess it is still your defence on the field if there is a field goal happening)... again we run into trouble when the other team fakes a punt or something weird like that...

Alright. Now theam A (CLE) blocks a punt (Special Teams!) and team B (SEA) gives up the touchdown (Special Teams -- Put Unit). So I would say that this was a STs play all around:

As I said before, I don't think the yahoo, at least in my public league, includes STs in DEF...

anyway... that's probably more explanation/speculation than you wanted.
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Farmboy12 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:36 pm

Guys, thanks for the response. I have another very interesting point to add to this conversation. I looked up how yahoo scored denver's D this week because Denver had a punt blocked for a safety against OAK. Oakland scored 6 points on offense plus the 2 from the safety for a total of 8 points. However, Denver's D was scored as responsible for only 6 points against this week, meaning they were not held responsible for the safety on the blocked punt. So, Yahoo was not consistent on scoring the same play (the only difference being one was a safety and one was a TD.) Were there any other games this year with a punt blocked for a TD--I'd like to check how that was scored.
Farmboy12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:26 pm

Short term memory loss, eh?

Try week 12, Baltimore's Ed Reed blocking SEA punt and returning it for a TD.

By the way, Ed Reed is the total shiznit.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk