Those pull the trigger moments... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Those pull the trigger moments...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Those pull the trigger moments...

Postby FatFoot » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:39 am

I hate those times where you want to take a chance on something random. Today for example, I can't help think that I am missing out by not starting Chandler and Nelson in Buffalo. But that would mean benching Keller and Shonn Greene and Dez Bryant.

I doubt this situation is on the level. Those are ww depth pickups.

But I thought it would be interesting to read if any of you have jumped on the bandwagon historically early, like starting Foster instead of one of your studs, right after the first hints of what he was doing to be...
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Those pull the trigger moments...

Postby Cuffs » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:56 pm

I seriously, seriously considered making a high stakes trade offer for Kenny Britt this past week. In the end, I was too busy patting myself on the back for what I thought was a brilliant 6th round pick and I was planning to ride Britt all season long (as a WR 3 no less!). I didn't pull the trigger. Now I'm likely to be dropping him for some random Brian Hartline type WR. Ugh.

As a reverse of what you're talking about, I started DeAngelo Williams in a league this week, knowing he's been terrible and in an even timeshare with Stewart, but also figuring Williams always starts a little slow and expecting this week to be his breakout week. Uhhh...no. I "pulled the trigger" on that one and got burned badly.

You asked for success stories, all I have is failures. Lol.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:47 pm

thought i did right thing when i heard Wells is out for week3 and put Starks on my lineup....damn, i rather have 0 than -0.6
then seeing Sprole on my bench with 14.5 pts... well, this is a failure story too.

only thing i did right is probably start Rob Gronkowski on most of my league and never dropped him for Hernandez, Clark, V.Davis. or any other TE

damn, i only have failed moments. :-X
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 224)

Postby ATLbraves » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Thankfully I started Daniel Thomas this week after he had a good game last week. He got me 18.50 points in my .5 PPR league. Hope he can keep it up since my only other viable RB options are Knowshon and DeAngelo Williams.
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:05 am

I tend to be a 'ride your horses' guy. I'm typically slow to insert fast-starting sleepers into my lineup. I figure "the guy is due" is more likely than "Mr. no name will have his third straight 20 point fantasy game". I will look at the matchups, though, and if my big players are off to rough starts, I'll bench them if they are up against a tough opponent.

I stuck with Roddy White despite two bad games to start the season. His targets were up, so I knew it was just a matter of time.

No matter what you do, it will come back to bite you sometimes. Just play the odds. I have kept a spreadsheet for the past 6 seasons on my starting lineup score vs my best possible lineup score. If you can average about 90 - 95% (depending on bench size) of your best possible scoring lineup, you're doing a great job.

I don't second guess anymore. You can't be right every time, so don't sweat it. Just start the guy that you will kick yourself if he has a big game on your bench. Like Brandon Jacobs today...I have no problem he outscored Ben Tate. 9 times out of 10, Tate is the right play in this scenario so I know I did the right thing.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ampant » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:58 am

I was working a trade for Britt and Gore for Mendenhall and Nate Washington.

After receiving interest I figured I was panicking, selling low on Gore and giving up too much in Britt and pulled it off the table.

:~( :~( :~(
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby default01 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:44 am

This week was a major pull the trigger sit/start moment for me and I got it 75% right.

I already had Hillis and Manningham out but still sat Wayne for 3 free agent pickups and a late round draft pick.

Sproles, D. Nelson, and Hardesty all worked out great. Branch got a big 0, but he did only score 3.9 less than Wayne.

I've been a lot more trigger happy than normal this year and my moves are mostly working out.

Quick trigger pulls, along with a core of McCoy, Stafford, and Witten (who are now my only 3 players that have started every week) have me about to go 3-0.
default01
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:51 pm

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a trade where I would send MJD and O Daniels for Gates and Britt or Britt and Mendenhall. Thankfully I was too scared to let MJD go. I would have been devastated if I traded MJD and O Daniels for two guys that might not play another game.....
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk