ROTO. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

ROTO.

Moderator: Football Moderators

ROTO.

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:10 am

Is anyone here in a rotisserie league? It seems that almost everyone here is in H2H leagues -- whereas H2H leagues are good for some things, there are some things to be said for roto leagues, such as, if a RB explodes for 200+ yards and multiple touchdowns, you are still not greatly favored in the matchup as that only takes care of a couple of categories with the others still up for grabs.
Have you ever played a roto football league? how well does it work if you provide for, say, 2QBs, 2RBs, 3WR+TE, 2Ks, 2DEFs and use faairly reasonable categories like

passing yards
passing TDs*6
picks

rushing yards
passing TDs*6

receiving yards
receiving TDs*6

fumbles lost

adjust above TD #s for 2pt conversions and

points scored by kickers

def sacks
def blk kicks
def turnovers
def TDs*6+safeties*2.

should one adjust for relative weights of categories? anyway... I just wanted to know if anyone has done this.

etc...
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:14 am

I've done both, and while roto certainly works, I have to say I prefer h2h. Some of the elegance that makes roto a great format for baseball (such as the hitting-pitching balance) doesn't translate as well to football as one would expect. It is a nice change of pace, though for those looking for something different.

In any case, I don't think I'd use a x6 modifier for touchdowns - with that much weight on scoring, the other categories become mere afterthoughts.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

lemme explain.

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:26 pm

I wasn't trying to use a x6 modifier on the touchdowns, I just wanted to have the points for touchdowns be counted 6 so that these catergories can include 2 point conversions.... suppose that there are 3 teams in the league:(just for instance... and let's look at QB TDs only)

Team 1 --- 5 passing TDs 1 2PT conversion = 32 pts
Team 2 --- 4 passing TDs = 24
team 3 --- 4 passing TDs 1 2Pt conversion = 26 points

now team 1 gets 3 points
team 3 gets 2 points
team 2 gets 1 point...

i just didn't think 2 point conversions deserved a category of their own, but certainly should go somewhere... so I guess I am saying they should count as 1/3 of an appropriate touchdown
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:03 pm

How does it work?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

hmmm...

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:07 pm

KingGhidra wrote:How does it work?

do you mean how do rotisserie leagues work, or how do safeties work themselves in?
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: hmmm...

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:10 pm

matmat wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:How does it work?

do you mean how do rotisserie leagues work, or how do safeties work themselves in?

How do roto leagues work.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

well...

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:15 pm

So you are compared to the entire league in a bunch of categories and you are assigned a certain number of points for each category, depending on how well you are doing in it...

for simplicty, let's just do the basic QB stats...

category 1 : Passing TDs
catrgoty 2 : Passing yards
category 3: interceptions

suppose you are in a 10 team league.

so your score would be calculated as follows...
say, you are second in passing TDs -- that means that you are beating 8 other people, so your score would be 8 points (some leagues shift all scores by 1 to make 10 the maximum score, in that case you'd have 9 points there, but let's ignore it)

now suppose you are 5th in passing yards, that gives you 5 points, as you are only beating 5 people now...

now suppose you have the fewest interceptions, you're beating all the other 9 people in your league, so you get 9 points...

so from these three categories you get 8+5+9 = 22 points. that is your total and the teams in your league are ranked by it.

of course other categories need to be used, like rushing TDs, rush yds, rec yds, rec tds etc....

get it?
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: well...

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:25 pm

matmat wrote:So you are compared to the entire league in a bunch of categories and you are assigned a certain number of points for each category, depending on how well you are doing in it...

for simplicty, let's just do the basic QB stats...

category 1 : Passing TDs
catrgoty 2 : Passing yards
category 3: interceptions

suppose you are in a 10 team league.

so your score would be calculated as follows...
say, you are second in passing TDs -- that means that you are beating 8 other people, so your score would be 8 points (some leagues shift all scores by 1 to make 10 the maximum score, in that case you'd have 9 points there, but let's ignore it)

now suppose you are 5th in passing yards, that gives you 5 points, as you are only beating 5 people now...

now suppose you have the fewest interceptions, you're beating all the other 9 people in your league, so you get 9 points...

so from these three categories you get 8+5+9 = 22 points. that is your total and the teams in your league are ranked by it.

of course other categories need to be used, like rushing TDs, rush yds, rec yds, rec tds etc....

get it?

Yeah I get it. I don't like it because it takes away margin of victory and just looks at result. That works for chess, but I don't think it's as good for something like fantasy football.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Re: well...

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:34 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
Yeah I get it. I don't like it because it takes away margin of victory and just looks at result. That works for chess, but I don't think it's as good for something like fantasy football.

well... it's a different game, right? It becomes more of a strategy/balance game, as opposed to who managed to draft the top 2 players and pick up the one huge breakout player... Instead of worrying about the "total" score you have to make sure that you're good enough in every category to maintain a high standing in each. .. .
as was pointed out above, it works very nicely in baseball and I was just curious if people here had tried it in football... I would imagine trades would be a little more common in a league like that since you'd be trading, say, rec TDs for rush TDs and that could improve both teams' standings instead of just trading 6 points back and forth ...

anyway. different dynamic.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Arlo » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:29 am

Ok, gotcha on the x6 now. :-) Seems like a good way to incorporate conversions.

Good point about creating more room for trades, too.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk