So much for Starks being the main man - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So much for Starks being the main man

Moderator: Football Moderators

So much for Starks being the main man

Postby TaDa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:31 pm

Ugh
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: So much for Starks being the main man

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:55 pm

I'd rather tie myself to the Passing game of the Packers, there really hasn't been that great of a contributor since Ahman Green for the Packers. I just don't think it's their offensive mindset, but Grant and Starks are totally different runners. I swear I was shaking my head today every time Starks was dancing around trying to juke out a line backer in front of him. Contrasting that to Grant who would try to run through the defender and get those extra yards and even break a few tackles.

Starks has explosiveness but I feel he gets a little fancy at times. Still wouldn't know who I'd want, I took zero shares in the Packers backfield this year, but to say I wasn't pro Starks after last week would be false, it just was an ugly game today. Talk before the season was to ease Grant back in knowing how much work he had and coming off of last years injury. Today could be that confidence in him to make him a more integral part of the offense.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:34 pm

and i have Sprole on my bench with 14.5... :~(
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 224)

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:36 pm

I've been trying to tell people this for weeks. Starks is explosive, fast, and breaks tackles. Grant is slow, plodding, and didn't break a tackle in the entire game today. But...Grant doesn't make mistakes. Starks had a bad fumble in the backfield when GB was up by 17. Grant has good vision. Starks had an awful time finding holes. Part of it, I believe, was just bad luck. The blocking happened to break down the few times Starks ran the ball. Grant took advantage of some holes and seemed to be more decisive, but (as usual) went down on first contact.

I think it will be like this all season. The Packers trust Grant. With that passing game, they almost need the "game manager" version of a running back - just someone who won't mess it up. Grant will get enough carries in most games to prevent either of these guys to be a reliable fantasy starter. Starks will have his moments, but it will be impossible to predict when that will be.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:10 am

As for Grant being a plodder, he's no Cedric Benson or Thomas Jones, the guy is still a fairly efficient running back. He's averaged 4.4 ypc his career, had 4.4 ypc this year on his minimal touches and went 92 on 17 touches today against a decent defense. Not saying it's pretty to watch either but there is a stark contrast in both their running styles. They're both in for a timeshare in a pass-first offense and it could very well be 60/40 in favor of Grant.

Edit: Also the fact that Kuhn is there down at the goal line lessens both of their value.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Yeah, at first I was upset that i dropped Grant this past week for Helu. Which, if i could take it back I probably would. However, I see them splitting and neither being that valuable as you would have to guess as to which one will get the bulk and its impossible to do that. Add the fact that Kuhn gets goal line and you have a not very valuable RB fantasy wise.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Sex Panther » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:17 am

Looks like Starks is going to be the guy this week w/ Grant likey out recovering from a bruised kidney... I expect him to have a rather large week if he's given 15-20 touches in a game that the Packers should absolutely dominate.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Sex Panther wrote:Looks like Starks is going to be the guy this week w/ Grant likey out recovering from a bruised kidney... I expect him to have a rather large week if he's given 15-20 touches in a game that the Packers should absolutely dominate.

That's certainly the most likely scenario. But I think there is another one. Starks is pretty straightline runner. He's got a little wiggle to him, but I'd put him somewhere between Turner and Mendenhall as far as style of runner. The Packers have a rookie who much more of a Charles/Johnson style runner (note style...not talent). If the Packers are up by a quite a bit, he could see a lot of time in the second half and looks far more explosive than either Grant or Starks. And, like overreaction from a preaseason game, there will be a thread about him in this forum.

Starks is a good play this week - I'm not arguing that - but I would really caution people from becoming enamored by whatever they see on Sunday. It likely will turn on its head the following week. The Packers running game is not what you want to hitch your fantasy wagon to.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Football Talk