Johnny Knox's punt return for a TD. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Johnny Knox's punt return for a TD.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Johnny Knox's punt return for a TD.

Postby joejlitz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:58 pm

Most unusual punt return for a TD was delivered by Knox towards the end of the game, with Hester clear on the other side of the field and faking like he was gonna catch the ball.

No one knew where it was!

Only a phantom holding flag is keeping this from being a top-replay tomorrow.

or maybe it will be?

Watch it here!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Johnny Knox's punt return for a TD.

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:00 pm

That was unreal. I've never seen anything like that before
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:37 pm

I've gotta say I'm really surprised this wasn't brought up more post game or even on other shows tonight that I was watching. Even as a Packers fan, but more of just a football fan I can't believe they even called back. When he threw the flag there was 0 Bears in contact with a Packer, ZERO (0:34 on the video). I mean that was just so ludicrous a call and the fact they called it on #29 when there isn't a guy on the Bears with that number on the roster.

Despicable. But I still contend the Packers win ;-D
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:27 pm

You could see the flag was thrown before Knox caught the ball. They started showing the replay from there looking for holding during the return. My assumption is that he was holding the gunner as they ran down the field before Knox caught the ball, which is why you couldn't see the hold on the replay.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ATLbraves » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:38 pm

Wow that was an unbelievable play. :-*
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 pm

dgan wrote:You could see the flag was thrown before Knox caught the ball. They started showing the replay from there looking for holding during the return. My assumption is that he was holding the gunner as they ran down the field before Knox caught the ball, which is why you couldn't see the hold on the replay.

Watch from 0:02 to the time Knox catches the ball. No one is engaged at all and the flag isn't even thrown until it's almost to Knox. I'm not saying there couldn't have been holding, but I'm just having a hard to believing that the ref at the endzone pylon (closest to Knox) is the one throwing the flag and no one is touching each other. :-?
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:15 am

WickedSmaat wrote:
dgan wrote:You could see the flag was thrown before Knox caught the ball. They started showing the replay from there looking for holding during the return. My assumption is that he was holding the gunner as they ran down the field before Knox caught the ball, which is why you couldn't see the hold on the replay.

Watch from 0:02 to the time Knox catches the ball. No one is engaged at all and the flag isn't even thrown until it's almost to Knox. I'm not saying there couldn't have been holding, but I'm just having a hard to believing that the ref at the endzone pylon (closest to Knox) is the one throwing the flag and no one is touching each other. :-?

I'm not saying this other than as a guess. The only logical place to call holding. If you look at the end of 0:01 seconds in the video, just before they switch to the sideline camera, you can see the gunner on the left having his jersey pulled down over his should pad. The Bears player lets go just as the sideline camera picks up the action at 0:02. Now, I don't know which refs are responsible for what on a punt return, but if that is what the ref on the goal line saw, I'm guessing 20 yards was all the further he could throw the flag. The penalty (if that is the one) actually occurred between the 30 and 35.

Frankly, I think a jersey pull happens to every gunner on every punt, but maybe he had a hold of him for a few steps. Don't know...again, just trying to make the best logical conclusion out of what they called.

*shrug*
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am

Yeah, it's possible, there's just something off to it, where it was so much later (if it was that) and the fact they called the wrong number. Cool play, wouldn't have mattered whether they scored or not.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joejlitz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:18 am

Holding or not...

Dawinner127 wrote:That was unreal. I've never seen anything like that before

This.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:38 am

You know it's funny, on one of the kickoff returns early in the game they did the same thing where Knox ran out to their right. But in that case, Hester fielded the ball and Knox was just a decoy. I thought they were setting up future opponents. But they used on the Packers later in the game, and on a punt instead of a kickoff.

Genius.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk