Johnny Knox's punt return for a TD. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Johnny Knox's punt return for a TD.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Johnny Knox's punt return for a TD.

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:39 pm

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:I really hope Mike Pereira comes out with a statement or comment about this call because it is blatantly obvious that there was no hold on this play. Are there any other angles available to look at this?

Pereira works for the league, very unlikely that he will come out and say that the refs blew the call. In looking at replays to find the hold, I don't see it. And furthermore, I can't help thinking that if I have to work so hard to find a hold then there should never have been a flag. I hate the the Zebras feels so empowered that they will not admit to mistakes and pick up the hanky.
Taken from a gambling angle this smells very very fishy.

Actually he's retired now and works for one of the networks giving his opinion on unusual or disputed calls.

And the networks are bought and paid for by the league. See ESPN if you think not.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 pm

moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:
Pereira works for the league, very unlikely that he will come out and say that the refs blew the call. In looking at replays to find the hold, I don't see it. And furthermore, I can't help thinking that if I have to work so hard to find a hold then there should never have been a flag. I hate the the Zebras feels so empowered that they will not admit to mistakes and pick up the hanky.
Taken from a gambling angle this smells very very fishy.

Actually he's retired now and works for one of the networks giving his opinion on unusual or disputed calls.

And the networks are bought and paid for by the league. See ESPN if you think not.

Actually the networks pay the league billions, not vice-versa, so they can say what they want. And I don't see the networks backing the league on disputed calls anyway - on the ESPN pre-game tonight several of the guys (Ditka, Jackson, Carter, Keyshawn) were all very vocal in their criticism of the refs and I guarantee ya none of those guys need to worry about their jobs. And Pereira has shown that he's not afraid to call out the refs either and he explains why and how certain rules are meant to be called.

Why do people say the announcers/color guys toe the company line - they don't, plain and simple. No conspiracy here folks, move along!

:-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 pm

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

Actually the networks pay the league billions, not vice-versa, so they can say what they want. And I don't see the networks backing the league on disputed calls anyway - on the ESPN pre-game tonight several of the guys (Ditka, Jackson, Carter, Keyshawn) were all very vocal in their criticism of the refs and I guarantee ya none of those guys need to worry about their jobs. And Pereira has shown that he's not afraid to call out the refs either and he explains why and how certain rules are meant to be called.

Why do people say the announcers/color guys toe the company line - they don't, plain and simple. No conspiracy here folks, move along!

Note to self: Stomperrob on NFL payroll... }:-)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:20 pm

dgan wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:

Note to self: Stomperrob on NFL payroll... }:-)

Lol, yeah I always get a kick outta all the conspiracy theories - they belong in the National Enquirer at the bottom of a bird cage! :-b
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:32 pm

stomperrob wrote:If you look at #35 for the Broncos on about the 10 yd line from .05 - .07 seconds, and then again at 49 seconds from a different angle, it appears he started blocking his guy but then held him briefly - still pretty iffy though.

I still say if ya look at that, it's a borderline hold - #35 is blocking his guy and backing him up and then appears to maybe grab him or his jersey at the end.
stomperrob

Johnny Knox's punt return for a TD.

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 pm

There was a hold. It happened early in the play. Reporters from the local radio station pointed it out that night. Bums me out a bunch because we will never see that play again. Even the Packers players were saying it was one of the coolest plays they've ever seen.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby GreenAndYellow12 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:29 am

Gambling. I would almost guarantee the official or someone important had big money on this game. Not unusual. It's a pretty big rivalry game. Rematch of the NFC Championship. Someone could have put big money on the Packers who were favored by 6. That touchdown then would have made the Bears covering. I've seen many of times. Last year or the year before in the Steelers game. Can't remember who they played but something similar happened at the end of the game. Not a punt return, but a phantom call.
GreenAndYellow12
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby The Lung » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:00 am

I think that the whole point of this thread is being lost - that just like the fake spike, this was simply a brilliant football play. It also makes you wonder how no one thought of this before. 8-o
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:09 am

GreenAndYellow12 wrote:Gambling. I would almost guarantee the official or someone important had big money on this game. Not unusual. It's a pretty big rivalry game. Rematch of the NFC Championship. Someone could have put big money on the Packers who were favored by 6. That touchdown then would have made the Bears covering. I've seen many of times. Last year or the year before in the Steelers game. Can't remember who they played but something similar happened at the end of the game. Not a punt return, but a phantom call.

stomperrob

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm

GreenAndYellow12 wrote:Gambling. I would almost guarantee the official or someone important had big money on this game. Not unusual. It's a pretty big rivalry game. Rematch of the NFC Championship. Someone could have put big money on the Packers who were favored by 6. That touchdown then would have made the Bears covering. I've seen many of times. Last year or the year before in the Steelers game. Can't remember who they played but something similar happened at the end of the game. Not a punt return, but a phantom call.

Yeah, except for the Chicago sideline reporters, who detailed the hold, and the fact that Graham admitted (on the field, and after the game) that there was a hold, Mike Pereira said there was a hold, etc...

http://www.bearsbacker.com/2011/09/afte ... lled-back/

Video and a screen shot of the hold...

I think the flag should have been picked up, because the hold was closer to the Hester side of the play, not the Knox side of the play. But when the flag was thrown, I bet the ref didn't know where the ball was either. Let's not pretend that there's a gambling conspiracy big enough to cause so many people to be involved... ALL of the reporters? Corey Graham is going to risk his career? Mike Pereira had some money on it too?

I'm a Bears fan. ONLY. I grew up in Chicago. I hate the Packers (but WHAT A TEAM!) But the conspiracy crap is so played out.

Maybe you actually CAN point out an instance where gambling influenced officiating in the NFL. But even if you can, you're over your head on this one.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk