Who is James Casey (HOU - RB,TE)? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is James Casey (HOU - RB,TE)?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is James Casey (HOU - RB,TE)?

Postby ramble2 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 am

I'm always a bit intrigued by dual eligibility guys. Aside from a Sleeper article on Casey last year (http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2010 ... _casey.php) I didn't really see anything about Casey on the Cafe. Anyone with a bit more familiarity in HOU know much about this guy? He seemed to make the most of his opportunity on Sunday, though I don't know whether to expect he'll continue to play any significant role in the HOU offense.
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who is James Casey (HOU - RB,TE)?

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:34 am

I believe he's an H-back of sorts. With the depth they have at TE, he primarily plays more of the FB role. But he catches like a TE and is dangerous out of the back field. At least as dangerous as backup players can be.

I think what you saw Sunday wasn't typical. They clearly found a weakness they wanted to exploit and the defense never adjusted or recognized the need to cover him. Until Owen Daniels gets hurt, I doubt he has much value going forward.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:17 am

The only reason a RB/TE would be especially valuable would be if that player was being used as primarily as a RB. Being able to start a RB in your TE position would be a huge boost whereas the reverse would be a non-advantage. In James Casey's case, he is a TE/FB combo kind of player. He may get the odd carry here or there, but he's not going to be a factor in the crowded Houston backfield. As far as he's concerned, you might as well consider him strictly a TE and figure his value based on that. The RB eligibility doesn't really help.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby petedog9 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:59 am

Who is James Casey?? :-D

James Byron Casey (born September 22, 1984 at Fort Worth, Texas) is an American football tight end for the Houston Texans of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Texans in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at Rice.

Baseball career Casey was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the seventh round of the 2003 MLB Draft.[1] He played in the White Sox organization for three years before retiring after 2006 to pursue a career in football.

College career After retiring from baseball Casey chose to play college football at Rice University. As a freshman in 2007 Casey started four of 12 games recording 46 receptions for 585 yards and four touchdowns. He also had 144 rushing yards on 45 carries and five touchdowns as a running back and completed two of seven passes for 32 yards and an interception as a quarterback. He also played seven different positions in a game against Southern Mississippi.

As a sophomore in 2008 Casey started all 13 games at tight end earning third-team All-American and first-team All-Conference USA honors. He finished the season setting a single-season school record for receptions with 111 for 1,329 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also added 241 rushing yards on 57 carries and six touchdowns and completed two of five passes for five yards.

After his sophomore year Casey announced that he would enter the 2009 NFL Draft.[2]

Professional career Houston TexansCasey was drafted by the Houston Texans in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. In 2011, Casey was named the Texans starting fullback. In his first game as starter, Casey caught three passes for 29 yards, but did not record a carry.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:46 pm

dgan wrote:I believe he's an H-back of sorts. With the depth they have at TE, he primarily plays more of the FB role. But he catches like a TE and is dangerous out of the back field. At least as dangerous as backup players can be.

I think what you saw Sunday wasn't typical. They clearly found a weakness they wanted to exploit and the defense never adjusted or recognized the need to cover him. Until Owen Daniels gets hurt, I doubt he has much value going forward.

Hey you take back that Jinx on Daniels and you do it fast!!!!! I need Daniels to stay healthy...
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 pm

latsprewell20002000 wrote:
dgan wrote:I believe he's an H-back of sorts. With the depth they have at TE, he primarily plays more of the FB role. But he catches like a TE and is dangerous out of the back field. At least as dangerous as backup players can be.

Hey you take back that Jinx on Daniels and you do it fast!!!!! I need Daniels to stay healthy...

Nah, don't worry. I hear the last couple seasons, Daniels has accumulated a closet full of rabbit's feet. :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:23 pm

I think he can play all 11 positions on offense, that's why they like him! ;-) :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Return to Football Talk