Trading for Rice or Rivers - any ideas? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Trading for Rice or Rivers - any ideas? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading for Rice or Rivers - any ideas? WHIR

Postby schmidty » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:01 am

Off to a solid start: 2-1, #2 highest scorer. QB is clearly my weakest position - and despite some big names, my RB play has left much to be desired. Another guy is 0-3 in the same league - poor WR play has been killing him. Rice or Rivers would look nice on my team, and I think I can help at the position he wants (WR). This is a 10-team redraft; normal scoring except - PPR, return yards (25 yds/pt), and passing TDs are 6 (INTs are -2). We start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF

My team
QB: Roethlisberger, Hasselbeck
RB: Chris Johnson, Hillis, Best, McCluster (also WR elig)
WR: Calvin Johnson, Welker, Marshall, Holmes, Nate Washington
TE: Winslow, Hernandez
K: Gostkowski
DEF: Tampa (playing the Indy matchup this weekend)

His team
QB: Rivers, Eli Manning
RB: Rice, Turner, Benson
WR: Dez Bryant, Tampa Mike Williams, Knox, Floyd, Cruz
TE: Clark, Casey
K: Crosby
DEF: Steelers, Saints

If he was to trade Rice, I would think he'd want a starting RB in return. I was thinking one of my starters (CJ or Hillis) plus a WR (Marshall or Holmes) for Rice would be good? He may feel like Eli is good enough to start if he trade Rivers. I don't want to trade Megatron or Welker straight-up ... if that's what it'll take then I'll pass (those guys are flat-out beasts with this scoring). But maybe some other package will seem decent? What do you think? Leave a link and I'll look at yours.
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading for Rice or Rivers - any ideas? WHIR

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:43 am

Try selling high on Welker
How about:

Welker/Cj4/Big Ben
for
Rice/Rivers/Mike Williams
(sell high buy low)
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 132)

Postby utchman3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:08 pm

I would say deal from your strengths at WR and either target Rice or Rivers, but not gut your team for both. I'm of the belief CJ2K will turn it around, so I'd focus on trading Hillis. I like the idea of selling high on Welker, but I'd keep Megatron at all costs.

Marshall/Hillis for Rice
Best/Holmes for Rivers
utchman3
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dblj9911 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm

I think that right now with you being 2-1 you are fine. Once CJ and Hillis start to play better your team will be solid and you can survive with Big Ben at qb. If you want Rice you are buying high on him and selling low with CJ now, so that isn't a good option. Rivers is starting out slow and he will be hurting a little bit until Gates comes back, but I think he will be fine even without him. If you can get RIvers for Big Ben and Marshall/ Holmes then I'd do it, but you have great depth now and your doing ok. Don't give up on CJ or HIllis yet, if they turn it on your team is stacked. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?t=500066
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 75)

Postby ramble2 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:29 pm

dblj9911 wrote:I think that right now with you being 2-1 you are fine. Once CJ and Hillis start to play better your team will be solid and you can survive with Big Ben at qb. If you want Rice you are buying high on him and selling low with CJ now, so that isn't a good option. Rivers is starting out slow and he will be hurting a little bit until Gates comes back, but I think he will be fine even without him. If you can get RIvers for Big Ben and Marshall/ Holmes then I'd do it, but you have great depth now and your doing ok. Don't give up on CJ or HIllis yet, if they turn it on your team is stacked. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?t=500066

This sounds like good advice to me. That said, if you can get Rice for Hillis + bench player I would do that. But first I'd try packaging Roethlisberger + Marshall for Rivers. I think that would be a nice upgrade for you. Don't make a trade that doesn't work for you, keep in mind the cliche: sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.

Help in return? http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=500157
ramble2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 32)

Postby LSUby50 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:38 pm

2for1 trades win championships.

If you could add Rivers and Rice to megatron and CJ, your team would be deadly, especially if/when CJ bounces back. Id try to package Hillis, Welker, Roethlisburger, and maybe another piece for Rivers,Rice. You're buying Rice at about his value, but selling really high on Welker. Hillis is in for a down year, and Rivers>> Roethlisburger.

Rice was my favorite player in the draft and he's backed it up so far. usually i'd trade megatron strait up for Rice if you had to , but in this situation,that actually helps the other guy more than you since he has 2 other good RBs and no WRs, so i'd make him work for it , and get a package that includes Rivers as a QB upgrade for you as well.
LSUby50
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)

Postby David592207 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:19 pm

I think you need Rivers more than Rice. Like you said you've got explosive scorers in Mega/Welker. I think CJ will be fine, not so sure about Big Ben. He looks off his game (not that it was ever that good as a pure pocket passer like Brady, Rivers and Peyton). Hillis may be seeing less play time according to all I read, sadly since I traded to get him. Also Best is a rising star a la LeSean McCoy, catching and running. Keep him for continued upside.

So I'd trade Hillis/Marshall for Rivers.

Help?

viewtopic.php?t=500161
David592207
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 20)

Postby pommona22 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Do not trade Calvin, the only piece i see selling high is Welker, but i would think that the person who drafted Rice and rivers did his 1 and 2, i dont think your going to get rice unless its CJ+ megatron i highhhly doubt hed accept a CJ/Hillis plus any of your other receivers mayyybee marshall id try and package Hillis and Bmarsh for Rivers but looking at his team he might go CJ and Welker for Rice id see that being done

Hope this helps..Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=499963
pommona22
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Game » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 am

If you traded Welker you would be selling high but that's only because he had an insane game. I think Welker will be solid all year long especially in a ppr league. I would look to move Hillis and Marshall for Rice or one of your qb's and Marshall or Holmes for Rivers. I can see the Rice trade going down if he's desperate at wr.
Good luck
Game
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby schmidty » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:24 pm

I know no one cares ... but I got this done ;-D Anyway, I know it's useful to see what trades go down in different leagues (to gauge player value) so maybe this'll interest some.

The deal was: my Brandon Marshall and Matt Hasselbeck for his Philip Rivers. I feel good. Still have Megatron and Welker at WR, and Holmes isn't a bad WR3 by any stretch (and McCluster and Washington give me decent depth). The more I see of Steelers games, the less I like the idea of having to play Roethlisberger. And Rivers feels like he's about to break out - his yardage has been good, just the TD/INT ratio isn't consistent with his career. And I honestly think the other guy got better too. His QB production drops off from Rivers to the best matchup between Eli and Hass. But his WR production increases from Knox to Marshall. I think he gains more than he loses. Yahoo's "evaluate trade" function reflects this - both of our starting lineups are projected to improve by more than 40 points over the rest of the season. Win-win ... as long as it doesn't get vetoed (which would be absolutely criminal, and probably lead me to never play with this group again). Unfortunately, some managers use the veto not to prevent collusion but to prevent other teams from getting better.

It'll be nice to tell the Cam Newton owner to buzz off. He's been pushing Cam hard since I posted on the trade block that I was open to trading a WR for a QB. He wanted Megtron, and tried to make it sound like he'd be doing me a huge favor by "taking him off my hands" (since he always get hurt and won't keep catching 2 TDs a game). There's just something about fantasy managers who act like shady used car salesmen when negotiating a trade that rubs me the wrong way.

New lineup (also dropped Winslow for Pettigrew):

QB: Rivers, Roethlisberger
RB: Chris Johnson, Hillis, Best, McCluster (also WR elig)
WR: Megatron, Welker, Holmes, Nate Washington
TE: Pettigrew, Hernandez
K: Gostkowski
DEF: Tampa (will drop for a better matchup)

Not sure who I'll use the open roster spot for. Torain is still there on the FA list. I suppose it'll be him if he lasts until the trade goes through. No other obvious pickups beyond that. It'll give me a slot so I don't have to drop Gostkowki in a couple weeks (for his bye), so that'll be nice.
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 22)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions