QB-Strategery! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

QB-Strategery!

Moderator: Football Moderators

QB-Strategery!

Postby dmbhawker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:35 am

So i'm in a 10 team league where we start 2 qb's. well both of my qb's are on byes for week 8. I usually never carry spare qb's bcuz i like to carry upside players or handcuffs ex(helu and hunter this week) the logical thing would be to trade a qb's for around equal value and move on but, this league is not big on trades like 1 trade per year. if i were to somehow squeeze room on my bench for 2 extra qb's i would have to drop some value on waivers i surely wouldn't get back not to mention qb's i pick up would be very very low quality, like gabbert and tarvaris. so my question is what should i do, i have been trying to make trades early to get this situation handled b4 someone sees my intention. any other suggestions?

thanks for help!
qb-ryan
qb-kolb
rb-foster
rb-ryan matthews
wr-megatron
wr-fitzgerald
wr-aj green
te-gates
flex/bn- helu, tate, wells, moss, yates,
def-cin

GO CORNHUSKERS!!
dmbhawker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: QB-Strategery!

Postby FatFoot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 pm

There are 2 schools of thought: 1). you tank that game, 2). you get more QBs.

Some leagues are okay with tanking a bye week game. It's a legitimate strategy to try to line all of your byes up for the same week or two, knowing you'll get 2 losses, but expecting to get heavy points the rest of the year.

Some leagues get PISSED if you don't field a full team. They figure it's unfair to GIFT a win to your opponent on that dead bye week.

FWIW, the byes are more compressed this year, and it makes a LOT of sense to choose a strategy and make your moves VERY SOON. It starts being a problem as of next week.

Looking at your team:

qb-ryan
qb-cutler
rb-foster
rb-ryan matthews
wr-megatron
wr-fitzgerald
wr-colston
te-gates/hernandez
flex/bn- daniel thomas, roy helu, kendall hunter, aj green

Cutler may be scrap heap this year. You may be able to pick someone up readily that will get similar numbers.
Gates may never give you value this year, and Hernandez is injured. You're screwing yourself by holding onto 2 messed up TEs, but I think it's understandable. You also held on to Colston. So your depth problem is based on the injuries in your team.

Helu is a speculative pick, but I'd hold on to him. Thomas has to stay on your team. You may not be able to keep Hunter AND Helu. You may never have a reason to put AJ in your lineup.

I would fish like crazy for a trade or two that don't totally screw you over, and then failing that, if you decide to tank, tank... and if you decide to drop players, you probably drop Hunter and Green. BUT in my world, I'd probably make some waves and drop Gates... let him be someone else's injury problem. That could be crazy, but I am actually thinking Gates may be done. Like, career. He has had a gimpy foot for a few years, and this problem doesn't go away easily. I would hate to see you take that advice and then get screwed. But I think a healthy Hernandez is 10X more valuable.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby dmbhawker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm

awesome advice! tanking wouldn't be an issue the league would say its my loss! and sorry i didn't update roster i did drop hernandez and grabbed olson for this week, but intentions are to get hernandez as soon as he is healthy. as for gates its so hard to drop a 4th round pick, im hoping he can play through it. I offered a trade to gore owner kendallhunter/mattryan for stafford but hasn't rejected or accepted yet...
qb-ryan
qb-kolb
rb-foster
rb-ryan matthews
wr-megatron
wr-fitzgerald
wr-aj green
te-gates
flex/bn- helu, tate, wells, moss, yates,
def-cin

GO CORNHUSKERS!!
dmbhawker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FatFoot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:11 pm

dmbhawker wrote:awesome advice! tanking wouldn't be an issue the league would say its my loss! and sorry i didn't update roster i did drop hernandez and grabbed olson for this week, but intentions are to get hernandez as soon as he is healthy. as for gates its so hard to drop a 4th round pick, im hoping he can play through it. I offered a trade to gore owner kendallhunter/mattryan for stafford but hasn't rejected or accepted yet...

This year, I sort of feel that cutting Gates COULD be a lot like cutting off the arm that's pinned by a boulder, trapping you in the canyon. :P

Per Rotoworld:
Antonio Gates (foot) missed practice again on Friday.
Gates is not expected to play until after the Chargers' Week 7 bye.
Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter Sep 30 - 3:04 PM
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:52 pm

FatFoot wrote:
dmbhawker wrote:awesome advice! tanking wouldn't be an issue the league would say its my loss! and sorry i didn't update roster i did drop hernandez and grabbed olson for this week, but intentions are to get hernandez as soon as he is healthy. as for gates its so hard to drop a 4th round pick, im hoping he can play through it. I offered a trade to gore owner kendallhunter/mattryan for stafford but hasn't rejected or accepted yet...

This year, I sort of feel that cutting Gates COULD be a lot like cutting off the arm that's pinned by a boulder, trapping you in the canyon. :P

Per Rotoworld:

Ah, yes or it could be like cutting off the arm and noticing the sound of a helicopter thats coming to rescue you just over the hill just as you finish. I agree, Gates is probably not going to contribute much this year.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:01 pm

latsprewell20002000 wrote:
FatFoot wrote:

Per Rotoworld:

Ah, yes or it could be like cutting off the arm and noticing the sound of a helicopter thats coming to rescue you just over the hill just as you finish. I agree, Gates is probably not going to contribute much this year.

Or it could be like getting recued by the helicopter only to tell the coach that your arm is fine, but your foot is killing you. :-b
Deathly worried about, not only this season, but the career of Antonio Gates. I so much want him to play, do great, lie and say the foot feels great so I can trade him for a box of kicking tees.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:20 pm

moochman wrote:
latsprewell20002000 wrote:
FatFoot wrote:

Per Rotoworld:

Or it could be like getting recued by the helicopter only to tell the coach that your arm is fine, but your foot is killing you. :-b
Deathly worried about, not only this season, but the career of Antonio Gates. I so much want him to play, do great, lie and say the foot feels great so I can trade him for a box of kicking tees.

LMAO!!
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigmck » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:55 pm

I am in a league where there is only one bench player. It is going to make the bye weeks filled with strategy.
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk