Have Rodgers and Stafford. Trade Stafford? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Have Rodgers and Stafford. Trade Stafford?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Have Rodgers and Stafford. Trade Stafford?

Postby Photog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:35 am

First off, I've played fantasy sports for years, but this is my first year playing fantasy football. I think my fantasy experience gives me a decent foundation, but forgive my ignorance if it shows.

Here's my league info and roster:
10 team Yahoo redraft league (non-PPR)
Start: QB, RB x2, WR/TE x3, K, DEF, BENCH x6
non-default settings: pass TD = 6pts, INT = -2pts, return yards = 1pt/25yds

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford
RB: Darren McFadden, Ahmad Bradshaw, Tim Hightower, Michael Bush
WR/TE: Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, Jermichael Finley, Denarius Moore, Jacoby Ford
K: Sebastian Janikowski
DEF: Philadelphia

So my question, as stated in the subject line: Should I trade Stafford?

I feel like he's wasted value on my bench. At the same time, my team is killing it right now (very lucky to have stayed healthy so far) and I don't feel a lot of urgency. Part of me is tempted to wait until after week 8 when Rodgers has his bye week, not to mention McFadden and Finley as well. But regardless of when, is it a no-brainer that I should trade Stafford? Or if teams are gun-shy on Stafford's health, should I make a really ballsy move and trade Rodgers for a stud? As long as the rest of my team is healthy and playing well, I kind of don't mind keeping Stafford on my bench as an expensive insurance policy for Rodgers. Although I guess Rodgers has only missed one game in the last three years, but still... One more (weak) thought: keeping Stafford on my team keeps him OFF another team that could become stronger competition.

What would you do?
Photog Beginner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Have Rodgers and Stafford. Trade Stafford?

Postby Irish Drunk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:06 pm

I would throw the bait out and see what value Stafford commands. Remember you are in the driver seat, you don't have to make the move. It's true that Stafford is wasted value on your bench and in a 10 team league you should have no problem picking up an adequate replacement for Rodgers' bye week Colt McCoy for example.

What should you look for in return? - I'd say a RB like L Blount or F Jackson. A WR like D Bowe or V Jackson. Your counterpart may want to do a 2 for 2 in which case you could part with a B Marshall or T Hightower to upgrade there.
Trash Talkin Boozers League Champion 2008 & 2009, Super Bowl Champion 2010
Irish Drunk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:44 pm

I'd trade Stafford to a QB needy team for an elite RB or WR.
VY fan for life
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Photog » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Irish: For a second there, I thought you were one of the guys in my league. I'm more interested in WR's, so when I checked on Vincent Jackson and Dwayne Bowe, they were both on the same roster. But then the RB's weren't. Thought you were trying to tell me something, for a second...

DVauthrin: I remember you from the basketball cafe! You're the resident Rockets expert, right? I'm a Rockets fan as well. It's good to see a friendly face here.
Photog Beginner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigdogg712 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Well stafford is playing great, so I would honestly trade Rodgers. He has much more name-value than stafford. Matt stafford will be a perfect QB this year and you can get much more for rodgers!

Help me out, too?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=500704
bigdogg712 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Photog wrote:Thanks for the answers, guys.

Irish: For a second there, I thought you were one of the guys in my league. I'm more interested in WR's, so when I checked on Vincent Jackson and Dwayne Bowe, they were both on the same roster. But then the RB's weren't. Thought you were trying to tell me something, for a second...

DVauthrin: I remember you from the basketball cafe! You're the resident Rockets expert, right? I'm a Rockets fan as well. It's good to see a friendly face here.

Yep, I'm the resident Rockets expert and the head editor for the basketball side of the cafe. Always nice to meet a fellow Rockets fan.
VY fan for life
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions