playoffs... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

playoffs...

Moderator: Football Moderators

For a 12 team league, how many teams should make the plaoffs (ignoring any consolation brackets)?

30%
5 (1 playin game, 3 byes)
5%
6 (2 playin games, 2 byes)
49%
7 (3 playin games, 1 bye -- big advantage to winning regular season )
5%
11%

Total votes : 37

playoffs...

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:06 pm

Alright.. the poll is sort of a side issue... the big question is in here.

The NFL allows in 12 teams into the playoffs -- 4 division leaders and 2 wild cards from each conference. that's 12/32 so a little over 1/3 of the teams, the rest stay home and sulk.

Most fantasy leagues have playoffs for (I guess) 4 or 8 teams, with some actually doing 6 (byes).

Personally I feel that 8 teams for a 10-14 team league (more than half) is too many -- it does not reward the people at the top enough and you end up with freak things like an 8th place team beating the #1 team... that's sort of like having the team with the 20th record in the NFL beating the #1 team... it happens during the regular season, but not in the payoffs, as the 20th team just doesn't make it.

Some might argue that 4 teams is probably too few, even when you do set up a consolation bracket, but I guess it is more realistic, 4/10 is close to 12/32 than 8/10 is...

I'd like to just hear some people's opinions about what good playof # sizes are for various size leagues, say 8,10,12,14,16 team leagues and how many teams you'd let into the playoffs in each...
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Go Vikes » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:14 pm

I chose six. My league allows 4 in a 14 team league. I think they should switch it to 8 next year. For 14-20 I like 8 teams or six in the playoffs.
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby altproject » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:17 pm

i choose 4. the main reason being that i only like playing in leagues that do 4 or 8 team playoffs. i'm not a fan of bye weeks in FF. the NFL rewards teams with byes in playoffs because it gets them to the next round and also lets them rest their players. we of course don't need that week of rest like a real NFL team does cause this is fantasy. and to be honest, i'd be lukewarm to the idea of earning a bye. i'd rather play FF every week possible in the year. taking a week off just gives me the opportunity to get lazy and forget about my team. since FF is a strategy game and not a physical game, the bye week bonus just seems out of place to me. therefore, i'm only into 4 and 8 team playoffs. and 8 is just too many for a 12 team league.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Ronald » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:11 pm

I'm in a 12-Team league that allows the top 8 teams into the playoffs. Two thirds of the league gets into the playoffs? That's crazy talk...

I'd prefer to keep it a bit more exclusive. Make it something that is hard to earn, much like in the real life game. In my league, it's basically received by checking your roster once a week, inserting people with byes out of the lineup, and then wait another week to repeat.

I'm going to be pretty upset if I get knocked off by someone who barely made any moves and only updated his roster after all of the work I did with the waivers, trades, ect...
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. - John Wooden
Ronald
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BradtheImpaler » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:22 pm

i chose 7....sounds like a good idea to have the top team ride the pine for a week, while the others battle it out, but also the 6 team set up looks real nice as well.......so even tho i chose 7, 6 teams is just as good a option. i guess i am in favor of a team or 2 having a bye in playoffs

now as far as how big of leagues and how many should get in...
uhhh something like this......
8 team=4 in
10 team=6
12=6
14=7
16=8
20=8

last year we had no playoffs, just a 17 game schedule, which crowned a decisive winner, thanks to me knockin off the second place team in week16 :-D

another idea i had was that after 14 weeks, you have the top 2 teams play a best of 3....while the other teams compete in a tourney for 3rd place and up.....dunno exactly if this is a good idea, but what the heck, i dont have to worry about such things cause i am not a commish.
Last edited by BradtheImpaler on Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:29 pm

Ronald wrote:I'm in a 12-Team league that allows the top 8 teams into the playoffs. Two thirds of the league gets into the playoffs? That's crazy talk...

No that's hockey talk!
I like a six team set-up in a 10 or more league, with the bottom 6 playing a consolation bowl. The top half are usually worthy and the idea is to have fun. I love how ff enhances my football viewing, and it would suck to lose that in weeks 14-16. Just my dos pesos.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:07 am

altproject wrote:i choose 4. the main reason being that i only like playing in leagues that do 4 or 8 team playoffs. i'm not a fan of bye weeks in FF. the NFL rewards teams with byes in playoffs because it gets them to the next round and also lets them rest their players. we of course don't need that week of rest like a real NFL team does cause this is fantasy. and to be honest, i'd be lukewarm to the idea of earning a bye. i'd rather play FF every week possible in the year. taking a week off just gives me the opportunity to get lazy and forget about my team. since FF is a strategy game and not a physical game, the bye week bonus just seems out of place to me. therefore, i'm only into 4 and 8 team playoffs. and 8 is just too many for a 12 team league.

The other benefit to allowing 6 with a bye, is it gives a chance to some of the average record teams that might be better than their rank. How many times do you see or hear about a team that is 1st in scoring but is barely staying in 5th to 6th place? It gives them an outside shot of winning it all like in the NFL, but they have to win that one extra game. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it, in fact, I'm thinking of having a league like that next year.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 49ers Forever » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:44 am

I voted for four teams, but I think it should be five, with the overall leader being the only team to get a bye week. Then you do a two loss elimination deal. The better winner from playoff week 1 gets a bye for playoff week 2, then you just whittle teams down. I guess that might not mathematically work, but I like it. It rewards the person at the absolute top, and then a little over 1/3 get in. You still have to end up with a good record, and the 5th place team might get consolation notice, but that is what happens with the wild card, sometimes, too....
49ers Forever
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby jaydog2314 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:52 am

in my 12-team league we got 6 making the playoffs, with the top 2 getting byes. I really like this b/c it allows for more teams to make the playoffs, esp in our league where money is involved. PLus i like having the top 2 teams getting byes, it rewards them for having a great regular season. FOR EXAMPLE, in our league 6 make it in, and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers are getting a nice chunk of money. so by giving the top 2 teams a bye you are allowing the strongest teams an opportunity to only have to win one more game to be guranteed $$$, which i like. Plus it couldnt have worked out better for our league record wise. ALL of the top 6 teams were at least 7-6. Four at 7-6, one at 8-5 and two at 10-3. Only one team with a winning record(7-6) missed the winner's bracket. this insured that winning teams are playing for the cash while the losing teams are battling it out in the consolation round. PLUS with our league and the money its feels better knowing from week one that half of the teams have a shot at getting a nice pay day at the end of the year, its keeps people from losing interest and NOT checking their teams, causing those dreaded GHOST teams. just my thoughts!!!
jaydog2314
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BigCav » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:44 am

For a 12 team league, 4 making the playoffs is perfect, You have 3 divisions of 4 teams each. The division winners and one wildcard make the playoffs. In this setup you play 14 games, divisional opponents twice, and non-divisional opponents once. Playoffs are weeks 15 and 16. Like stated earlier playoffs are a special reward, 2/3 of the teams should not make it. Anything above 4 teams require 3+ weeks for the playoffs, meaning you have to extend into week 17 (a bad idea) or cut the regular season short. And byes just seem stupid, there is no reason whatsoever a Fantasy team would need a bye.
BigCav
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Football Talk