playoffs... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

playoffs...

Moderator: Football Moderators

For a 12 team league, how many teams should make the plaoffs (ignoring any consolation brackets)?

30%
5 (1 playin game, 3 byes)
5%
6 (2 playin games, 2 byes)
49%
7 (3 playin games, 1 bye -- big advantage to winning regular season )
5%
11%

Total votes : 37

Postby JEB » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:11 am

BigCav got it right. I choose 4 as well. That's the way our league does it and it has worked fine for 3 years now. Porblem going so late into the regular season is most NFL teams who are assured a playoff spot will likely sit there studs to keep them fresh for the playoffs. That plays havoc with an FF lineup.
JEB
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Phinphan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:01 am

I chose 4 because you should earn a winning record to get in the playoffs. How many times has someone lost to a team that squeeked in and seen a 10-3 or so season go down the drain because some player went off one week.
Phinphan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Super Freak » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:06 am

byes are important because it rewards the best teams ;-D
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby emaja » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:15 am

Byes do not give a FF team any advantage at all, but I think a 12 team league's optimal playoff is a 6 team with 2 getting a bye, but only for scheduling purposes.

I have a 12 team money league and the playoffs have been decided already since we do a 13 week schedule. When money is involved, we felt that it would be best to let more participate, but Yahoo only allows a choice of 4 or 8 teams. We felt 8 was too NHL-ish and that 4 was too few, so we settled on an artificial 6 where 8 actually make it, the #1 and 2 seeds get a "bye" by the benching of their opponents roster.

We are talking about $1000 here, so we considered a lot of ways to make this more fair, not to make it more like the NFL. Who starts 2 HB's or 3 #1 type WR's anyway?
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby BradtheImpaler » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:29 am

of course a bye helps a fantasy football team.....duh, you advance for free for one week....its the equivalent to a win, and there are some fantasy football owners that could use a bye, mainly because it may prevent them from getting an ulcer or something, as they dont have to deal with the stress over deciding that weeks line-up...... ;-D

so give em the bye....and save thier stomach lining!
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby latraffic » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:06 pm

Bye weeks for a FF team? Phooey! It's not like we have studs we want to rest up! It's still the regular season in the real world.

Playoff spots should be about 1/3 of the size of the league so 4 is usually about right unless you have a boatload of teams (did I read someone has 20 teams? Who the heck are your starters? Yikes!)

Also good to narrow the number of playoff spots/games as it avoids the infamous 17th week of the reg season when those NFL teams already in the playoffs screw you by resting some of their starters.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk