Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby freshlesh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:20 pm

1pt 10yd rsh, 1pt 15yd rec, PPR, 1pt 25yd pass, 3pt bonus 100yd rec,100yd rsh or 300yd pass, 6pt any TD

The guy in my league who has Newton also has A. Rodgers, so Newton has been sitting on his bench. Johnson is hurt and possibly out a few weeks. I also have Schaub as my QB, so his numbers will probably drop considerably while Johnson is out. I went WR heavy in my draft, so I have Fitz and Mike Wallace ready to play. He told me he would probably take this trade. What do you think?

Thanks in advance. Leave a link.
freshlesh
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 467
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:26 pm

I would NEVER make that trade.



help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?t=501385
Image
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1200
Joined: 19 May 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Auburn, AL

Re: Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby freshlesh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:31 pm

So you wouldn't trade an injured WR (awesome when unhurt, of course, but injured nonetheless) for the #3 scorer in fantasy football? A little insight into why you would NEVER make that trade would help.
freshlesh
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 467
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby TheLawFirm » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:39 pm

I would probably make that trade. Schaub's numbers will definitely go down without Johnson there to bail him out on those high fly balls, I think Newton has proven that he's more than just a fluke and would be a definite upgrade over Schaub, whereas your WRs are already pretty good. Who do you have for the bye weeks at WR?

Please help as well: viewtopic.php?t=501417
TheLawFirm
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 23
Joined: 3 Oct 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 pm

freshlesh wrote:So you wouldn't trade an injured WR (awesome when unhurt, of course, but injured nonetheless) for the #3 scorer in fantasy football? A little insight into why you would NEVER make that trade would help.

Because I dont think Cam will keep those numbers up the whole season. Andre is a first round pick, why not try and trade him for a more proven QB then Cam. Such as Vick, who is also injury prone, or Brady/Rodgers/Brees. If they will not take Andre for them straight up, then package him with your QB and do a 2 for 1. I just dont get why you would trade a number 1 draft pick for someone who has only played 4 games in the NFL and is far from proven.



help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501385
Image
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1200
Joined: 19 May 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Auburn, AL

Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby phillr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:55 pm

ATLbraves wrote:
freshlesh wrote:So you wouldn't trade an injured WR (awesome when unhurt, of course, but injured nonetheless) for the #3 scorer in fantasy football? A little insight into why you would NEVER make that trade would help.

Because I dont think Cam will keep those numbers up the whole season. Andre is a first round pick, why not try and trade him for a more proven QB then Cam. Such as Vick, who is also injury prone, or Brady/Rodgers/Brees. If they will not take Andre for them straight up, then package him with your QB and do a 2 for 1. I just dont get why you would trade a number 1 draft pick for someone who has only played 4 games in the NFL and is far from proven.



help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501385


Because he's passed for 400+ yards every game except for the monsoon.


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.468785,-97.514654
phillr
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 20
Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby freshlesh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for expanding, ATL. I see what you mean and I've been going back and forth for those same reasons. Here's my problem... I'm hearing Johnson might be out for many weeks. Nothing set mind you, but those are the rumblings in Houston. The reason I am aiming at Cam is that he is the only top QB that I even have a chance of getting. With AJ out, if only for a few weeks, I'm basically losing two positions. Schaub is nothing without AJ.

Also, I've been watching Newton play. He's not just putting up lucky numbers, The guy is a beast. I'm not saying he's going to be the top scorer in fantasy, but top 10 is a very realistic possibility. If I don't pull the trigger now before Johnson's MRI comes back, there is a very real possibility tht he ends up with a serious injury and I can't trade him at all. Basically, my season is done.

Tough call.
freshlesh
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 467
(Past Year: 21)
Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby Sex Panther » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:09 pm

No way I would do that.

Newton has been sensational, no doubt about it, but I really don't see it continuing for the balance of the season.

He's a rookie QB, it's only a matter of time before defenses figure him out. Green Bay provided the blue print in the 2nd 1/2 of the game they played. Jacksonville did too both before and after the rain week 3.

I hate to say it, but I don't think my Bears are very good.

IMO, it is inevitable that defenses are going to start catching up to Newton, there are now 4 full sets of game tape out on him.

There is absolutely 0 chance that Newton finishes the season w/ 5544 passing yards, 532 rushing yards, 20 passing TD, 20 INT, 0 Fumbles Lost, and 16 rushing TD - that's what he's on pace for - 430.96 standard scoring points (26.93 PPG)

By comparison, the following are all in the team photo for best fantasy season by a QB all time -

Mike Vick's 2010 season (12 games played) - 3018 pass/676 rush/21 PTD/9 RTD/6 INT/3 FL - 314.32 standrd scoring points (26.19 PPG)

Tom Brady's 2007 season - 4806 pass/98 rush/50 PTD/2 RTD/8 INT/4 FL = 398.04 standard scoring points (24.88 PPG)

Daunte Culpepper's 2004 season - 4717 pass/406 rush/39 PTD/2 RTD/11 INT/5 FL = 376.28 standard scoring points (23.52 PPG)

Peyton Manning's 2004 season - 4557 pass/38 rush/49 PTD/0 RTD/10 INT/1 FL = 370.08 standard scoring points (23.13 PPG)

I'll be glad to eat a whole lot of crow if Newton proves me wrong, but IMO there is no way he puts up the best QB season of all time his rookie season.

I am of the belief that he won't finish the season as a top 10 QB - I know I'm in the growing minority on this, but historically, the odds are in my favor...

viewtopic.php?t=501429
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 3029
Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Sex Panther wrote:No way I would do that.

Newton has been sensational, no doubt about it, but I really don't see it continuing for the balance of the season.

He's a rookie QB, it's only a matter of time before defenses figure him out. Green Bay provided the blue print in the 2nd 1/2 of the game they played. Jacksonville did too both before and after the rain week 3.

I hate to say it, but I don't think my Bears are very good.

IMO, it is inevitable that defenses are going to start catching up to Newton, there are now 4 full sets of game tape out on him.

There is absolutely 0 chance that Newton finishes the season w/ 5544 passing yards, 532 rushing yards, 20 passing TD, 20 INT, 0 Fumbles Lost, and 16 rushing TD - that's what he's on pace for - 430.96 standard scoring points (26.93 PPG)

By comparison, the following are all in the team photo for best fantasy season by a QB all time -

Mike Vick's 2010 season (12 games played) - 3018 pass/676 rush/21 PTD/9 RTD/6 INT/3 FL - 314.32 standrd scoring points (26.19 PPG)

Tom Brady's 2007 season - 4806 pass/98 rush/50 PTD/2 RTD/8 INT/4 FL = 398.04 standard scoring points (24.88 PPG)

Daunte Culpepper's 2004 season - 4717 pass/406 rush/39 PTD/2 RTD/11 INT/5 FL = 376.28 standard scoring points (23.52 PPG)

Peyton Manning's 2004 season - 4557 pass/38 rush/49 PTD/0 RTD/10 INT/1 FL = 370.08 standard scoring points (23.13 PPG)

I'll be glad to eat a whole lot of crow if Newton proves me wrong, but IMO there is no way he puts up the best QB season of all time his rookie season.

I am of the belief that he won't finish the season as a top 10 QB - I know I'm in the growing minority on this, but historically, the odds are in my favor...

viewtopic.php?t=501429


Completely agree. I understand where you are coming from tho freshlesh. I would just shop AJ around some more before you make your decision. If you really can't get any high end QB in return but Cam, then I can see why you would accept the deal.



help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501385
Image
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1200
Joined: 19 May 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Auburn, AL

Re: Trade Andre johnson for Cam Newton straight up? WHIR

Postby Grinster24 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Although Newton has been impressive so far, I would go after a reliable QB. Such as Brees, Rivers, (Brady and Rodgers are probably out of reach) or even Stafford at this point.
Grinster24
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 65
Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 9:45 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact