How should I order my waiver priorities? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

How should I order my waiver priorities? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

How should I order my waiver priorities? WHIR

Postby schmidty » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 pm

This is a 12-team redraft; pretty normal scoring except 0.5 PPR. We start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, R/W, TE, K, DEF, D (with relatively big 8-man benches). This is my team:

QB: Brees, Flacco
RB: Foster, SJax, Best, McGahee, Jacobs, Scott
WR: Holmes, Harvin, MThomas, Lance Moore, Branch, Ochostinko
TE: Davis
K: Kasay
DEF: Titans
D: Timmons

I have 6th priority for his week. My only bye week issue is at TE (Davis is off). SJax is off, but I was planning on playing McGahee.

Weekly waivers clear in 5 hours. Who's worth putting a claim in for, and who's worth just waiting to see if they clear (I don't want to blow the waiver if not needed)? A team with a better number than me has already dropped a RB, K, and DEF. I'm sure the first priority will be for RB - not sure if it'll be for Torain or Redman though (the guy has serious week 5 RB bye issues, so maybe it'll be Redman).

Unfortunately I have a few pretty worthless guys :,-( It's hard to keep justifying keeping Scott around when no movement is happening with Benson's suspension (and even then, it's no guarantee he'll be fantasy viable for those 3 games). Davis has stunk for 2 games and may be outright droppable. I don't see how I could ever be so desperate to ever trust Branch or Ocho in my lineup. And Timmons' poor play has probably single-handedly cost me the last 2 weeks (lost by 1 and 5 points, and he was handily outscored by the opposing IDP both matchups). With his position move (with the Harrison injury), any value he might've had left has probably vanished.

Here are the top FAs I'm eyeing:

RB: Torain, Redman
WR: Antonio Brown, Plax
TE: Cook
D: Desmond Bishop

Which moves do you like, and are any waiver-number worthy? Leave a link and I'll answer yours.
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How should I order my waiver priorities? WHIR

Postby TugzMcBoat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:52 pm

you need a TE so that has to occupy the #1 waiver priority especially when you have guys who you have absolutely no qualms about not having on your roster. Is Gresham available? I like him more than cook.

However...

#2 should be Torain or Redman, although the possibility of them being there on the second go around in a 12 team league is pretty much zilch...so if you wanna be cute I'd take a look at the other teams in the league, if the Witten/Dickson/Kendricks owners have a backup TE (or are the backup) or if they have a higher waiver priority than you then I would aim for Torain or Redman, if they have a lower waiver priority than you but don't have a backup then you have to prioritize a TE first.

after that I'd put Antonio brown #3 and bishop #4
10 team standard- passing TD's = 6pts
QB: Stafford
RB: R. Matthews, A. Bradshaw, I. Redmann, B. Tate, CJ Spiller,
WR: G. Jennings, A. Johnson, E. Decker, T. Smith, K. Britt, M. Crabtree
TE: J. Tamme
DEF: Philly
start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1DEF 1K
TugzMcBoat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby schmidty » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 pm

TugzMcBoat wrote:so if you wanna be cute I'd take a look at the other teams in the league, if the Witten/Dickson/Kendricks owners have a backup TE (or are the backup) or if they have a higher waiver priority than you then I would aim for Torain or Redman, if they have a lower waiver priority than you but don't have a backup then you have to prioritize a TE first.

That is a good point. Only the Witten owner needs bye week help (Dickson and Kendricks are FAs). And it's the same team I mentioned above (with a better number than mine). At kicker he dropped Dan Carpenter, so clearly he's picking up a FA K. But the defense he dropped was the Redskins (already has Chargers). So I bet he's eyeing a RB, TE, and K. Kicker would certainly be lowest priority, but I don't know about the other 2 positions. Maybe if I ask him he'll tell me? :-B

Aside from Cook, it's a pretty ugly bunch at TE that are active for week 5. According to Yahoo projections, the top week 5 FA TEs are: Shiancoe, Heath Miller, Boss, McMicheal.

EDIT: actually, looking at the matchups Shiancoe might be the better play. He gets the Cardinals ... Cook gets the Steelers.
Last edited by schmidty on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby TugzMcBoat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 pm

schmidty wrote:That is a good point. Only the Witten owner needs bye week help (Dickson and Kendricks are FAs). And it's the same team I mentioned above (with a better number than mine). At kicker he dropped Dan Carpenter, so clearly he's picking up a FA K. But the defense he dropped was the Redskins (already has Chargers). So I bet he's eyeing a RB, TE, and K. Kicker would certainly be lowest priority, but I don't know about the other 2 positions. Maybe if I ask him he'll tell me? :-B

Aside from Cook, it's a pretty ugly bunch at TE that are active for week 5. According to Yahoo projections, the top week 5 FA TEs are: Shiancoe, Heath Miller, Boss, McMicheal.

if that's the case I'd go for TE first and RB. You need a TE to start and clearly the only one worth looking at in this case is Cook, if you go RB there's a good chance he's taking cook on the second pass. On the plus side if he does take the TE first then you'll have a pretty decent shot at Torain or Redman (or ridley?) and you can just pick up a TE for the week on FA so my waivor priority would look like this

#1 drop brach/ochostinko/Timmons for Cook
#2 drop brach/ochostinko/Timmons for Ryan Torain
#3 drop brach/ochostinko/Timmons for Redman
#4 drop brach/ochostinko/Timmons Stevan Ridley
#5 drop brach/ochostinko/Timmons for Brown
#6 drop brach/ochostinko/Timmons for Burress
#7 drop brach/ochostinko/Timmons for Bishop

Feel Free to switch up #2 and #3 based on your preference/ what you think the witten owner will go for first. and if you don't get your #1 then grab a TE off FA

hope this helps
TugzMcBoat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moses5488 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 pm

I'd do Cook, Redman, Torain.

I think Torain will have the least amount of pts out of hightower and helu at end of season.viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501702
moses5488
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TugzMcBoat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:42 pm

schmidty wrote:EDIT: actually, looking at the matchups Shiancoe might be the better play. He gets the Cardinals ... Cook gets the Steelers.

People need to stop thinking of the Steelers as a good defense, Daniels had a 70 yards and a TD against them, they just lost Harrison for a little while. Cook is an athletic freak, whose getting more targets due to Britts injury.

Shiancoe has a better matchup for sure but it isn't like Cook is going up against the Iron curtain here.

although if you're okay with Shiancoe over cook then I wouldn't bother prioritizing a TE pickup, you'll get one of them in FA.
TugzMcBoat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ATLbraves » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 pm

I agree with the rest. Go Cook, Redman, and Torain. Don't think to much about the matchups here, the Steelers defense isn't what it use to be. Cook has the most upside, and is the better play over Shiancoe imo.

help with mine again please:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501717
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby schmidty » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 am

Thanks for the help. Not many replies (but that's my own fault for not posting until the last evening) but the ones that were made were thoughtful and helpful. The results of the waiver process were not unexpected: I didn't get either of the RBs (Torain, Redman). Oh well ... RB is actually a position I'm pretty deep at (with 4 guys starting for their team, a 5th who's in a very productive time-share, and a 6th who could have 3 weeks being the #1). I got Cook, Brown, and Bishop.

Oddly enough, the guy who dropped all those players (with the high waiver number) didn't pick anyone up :-S And the Hightower owner, who had the best waiver number, didn't bother trying to claim Torain. Though I guess I can understand if he was just tired of being jerked around by Shanahan, and wanted to wait for a better spot to use that waiver number.
Last edited by schmidty on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby gatorbite35 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:39 pm

schmidty wrote:Thanks for the help. Not many replies (but that's my own fault for not posting until the last evening) but the ones that were made were thoughtful and helpful. The results of the waiver process were not unexpected: I didn't get either of the RBs (Torain, Redman). Oh well ... RB is actually a position I'm pretty deep at (with 4 guys starting for their team, a 5th who's in a very productive time-share, and a 6th who could have 3 weeks being the #1). I got Cook, Brown, and Timmons.

Oddly enough, the guy who dropped all those players (with the high waiver number) didn't pick anyone up :-S And the Hightower owner, who had the best waiver number, didn't bother trying to claim Torain. Though I guess I can understand if he was just tired of being jerked around by Shanahan, and wanted to wait for a better spot to use that waiver number.

Thanks for replying to mine. Looks like it is too late to respond to yours. I'll take a note of your name and respond to your future threads. Once again, sorry for being late.
Check Out My Beer Channel
12 Team League PPR
Qb, 2 wr, 1rb, 1wr/rb , 1te, 1k, 1 def
Qb- Romo, Stafford
Wr - Nicks, Boldin, amendola,mike thomas,meachem
rb - Rice,forte, greene, best,
k - Alex Henery
te - Clark
def - Saints
gatorbite35
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff