To drop or not to drop? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

To drop or not to drop? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

To drop or not to drop? WHIR

Postby MMhawk607 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 pm

I posted earlier about dropping Daniel Thomas, but I want to give an explanation to it

Okay here's the deal. here's my roster:
Phillip Rivers - QB
Fred Jackson - RB
Rashard Mendenhall - RB
Greg Jennings - WR
Santana Moss - WR
Owen Daniels - TE
Daniel Thomas - RB
Dan Bailey - K
Baltimore Ravens - DEF

Bench:
New York Giants DEF
Cedric Benson - RB
Steven Jackson - RB
Dez Bryant - WR
Antonio Gates - TE
Sidney Rice - WR

Okay so here's the problem. MANY of my players are on bye week this week.
(Moss, Bailey, Ravens D, Bryant, Jackson, and Thomas.)

So normally I would have
Mendenhall and Jackson as my RB's.
Rice as my WR along with Jennings.
Benson as my W/R Flex
Giants in my DEF.
And no kicker. (the guy i'm against has no kicker due to bye week as well)

However... Mendenhall is injured this week and wont play. But my other two running backs are at Bye week.
This means I'll move Benson to my other RB and have a W/R spot open.
So the question becomes.. should I drop someone like Daniel Thomas (arguably my least valuable RB out of the 5) this week only if I know I can more than likely pick him back up for next week due to the fact there's only around 8 people in my league as it is just consistent of people I know.

Here are the top W/R in the league based on their season performance so far

The question in general is. Do I drop Thomas for someone there to fit my flex position?
If I do, do I drop him Sunday night for Thomas for the next week or do I keep him?

Remember: I WHIR!
Thanks ;-D
I'm 2-2 so far going against someone 0-4. I really don't want to lose to him and go under .500!
so pro.
MMhawk607 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: To drop or not to drop? WHIR

Postby TugzMcBoat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 pm

uuugh its close

I really like Thomas though, and he's going to be the main back in Miami, not to mention Benson is going to serve a 3 game suspension so it would be really nice to have him if Mendenhall stays hurt while Benson is on forced vacation. as far as potential goes for the rest of the year I like Thomas more than I do Jackson.

For me I'd drop Jackson over Thomas...and in all seriousness I would consider dropping Mendenhall, that O-line is terrible, even if he's back to full strength I'm never feeling to confident about him in my lineup (in an 8 team league mind you)

I'd drop Thomas last of those 3, when he's played he's been great and Miami clearly hates Reggie Bush...I think Thomas has a lot of upside for later in the season when compared to Mendenhall or Jackson.

just my opinion, you will however look very smart or very stupid come second half of the season if you drop Jackson or Mendenhall now
10 team standard- passing TD's = 6pts
QB: Stafford
RB: R. Matthews, A. Bradshaw, I. Redmann, B. Tate, CJ Spiller,
WR: G. Jennings, A. Johnson, E. Decker, T. Smith, K. Britt, M. Crabtree
TE: J. Tamme
DEF: Philly
start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1DEF 1K
TugzMcBoat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby johnhoefer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Do not drop any Jackson. Dropping Thomas is a tough choice, can't you get a trade for him?

If you need an advantage in the bye week, why not drop your kicker and pick up another one? Are you in a big league? One kicker is as good as the next in my opinion. But I do like Baily. If you pick up a kicker and play against someone with no kicker, you at least have a 6-9 point advantage going into the game.

Little help?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501724
johnhoefer
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 7)

Postby MMhawk607 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

TugzMcBoat wrote:For me I'd drop Jackson over Thomas...and in all seriousness I would consider dropping Mendenhall, that O-line is terrible, even if he's back to full strength I'm never feeling to confident about him in my lineup (in an 8 team league mind you)

Oh trust me, I've been considering dropping Mendy. However due to his Ownership value he's undroppable at the moment. so I'm really only left with those guys to deal with.
so pro.
MMhawk607 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TugzMcBoat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:05 am

8 team league- i just figured you were dropping the kicker to begin with to pick up another one, its not worth losing a 6-10 pt advantage over someone when there will be a quality kicker to pick up every week.

obviously we're not dropping fred jackson...

Trade if you can, you'll get better value from that than from the waivers...but if you had to drop someone I would drop Thomas last over Benson and SJax, SJAX because he's been hurt and underpreformed lately and the Rams just haven't looked as a whole, that weak offensive line is causing a lot of problems. and I'd drop Benson over Thomas because Benson has a 3 game suspension coming and if that doesn't include a BYE week that means he's out for 4 weeks. Daniel Thomas when healthy has been very productive and I believe he'll be more valuable towards the end of the season.
TugzMcBoat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TugzMcBoat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:12 am

MMhawk607 wrote:Oh trust me, I've been considering dropping Mendy. However due to his Ownership value he's undroppable at the moment. so I'm really only left with those guys to deal with.

uugh forgot about that, trade Mendy?

the good news is you can start Jennings and Rice as your WR so all you need to find is a RBand a flex.

Since I'm all about keeping Daniels I think you bite the bullet and drop SJAX for a RB/WR flex play (Decker, Torain, or Redman) move Benson to RB #2 then after the week drop em and pick up or offer a trade with them+Mendenhall+Benson for someone who's got bad RB depth for a solid WR or RB.

that would be my advice
TugzMcBoat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ATLbraves » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:17 am

Maybe I am missing something, but why dont you just drop your extra defense? There is really no need to own 2 defenses.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501717
ATLbraves
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TugzMcBoat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:21 am

ATLbraves wrote:Maybe I am missing something, but why dont you just drop your extra defense? There is really no need to own 2 defenses.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501717

+1

didnt see that either...yea this makes things a lot easier

drop your Defense, move benson to to RB and pickup a flex play for the week... actually really easy when you look back at it
TugzMcBoat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MMhawk607 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:28 am

ATLbraves wrote:Maybe I am missing something, but why dont you just drop your extra defense? There is really no need to own 2 defenses.

the only problem I come across is that Baltimore isn't playing (bye week) and NY is. Do I just not play a DEF this week and drop NY's? I mean it couldn't hurt cause the points they produce can be questionable. Cause I'm definitely not dropping the Ravens defense. They're the number 1 def in the league.

Oh and I did submit a waiver request for the Lions K in place of Bailey. So the Kicker is taken care of
so pro.
MMhawk607 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TugzMcBoat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 am

MMhawk607 wrote:the only problem I come across is that Baltimore isn't playing (bye week) and NY is. Do I just not play a DEF this week and drop NY's? I mean it couldn't hurt cause the points they produce can be questionable. Cause I'm definitely not dropping the Ravens defense. They're the number 1 def in the league.

No, you drop the Ravens D, you can play match ups for the rest of the year and be fine...yea it sucks but so does dropping Thomas watch him go on to have 1200 yards and 10 TDs and be stuck with Mendenhall and Jackson

if you're really that adamant about keeping the ravens then do what i suggested above, and then the following week drop the giants and pick someone up

but in all seriousness I would trade/drop the Ravens D here...the majority of their points came against 2 really bad teams and 3 really bad offenses... the only decent offense they've played so far is TN, they got 1 point that game. I would totally sell high on the ravens if you can. its not that I don't think they'll be #1 by the end of the year but their matchups get a lot harder and you're in an 8 team league and can play the matchups pretty easily from here on out
Last edited by TugzMcBoat on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TugzMcBoat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next