Time to give Big Ben the Heave Ho? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Time to give Big Ben the Heave Ho?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Time to give Big Ben the Heave Ho?

Postby RedBirdChica » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 am

I've never been one of those fantasy owners to cut bait on a proven player. Perennial starters usually find a way to get it together. But this situation does not look promising. Frankly, it looks bad. And Ben has always been toward that bottom of the top tier; he's not a Romo or a Schaub or a Rivers looking to ascend out of a slump.

The Steelers' O-Line is in such shambles that they've resorted to picking up former players off of the street (Starks).

Do they have a shot at getting their mojo back? Is it worth the risk to 'wait and see' over the next few weeks ... while decent waiver options fly away to other owners? I would love to package him, but no one wants him. It's not a dynasty league. It doesn't help that people hoarded QBs in my league's draft. The likes of Stafford and Freeman (as backups!) were gone by R5/6.

Fitzpatrick is not a sure thing. Matt Ryan is available. Someone just dropped him for Ryan Torrain. If nothing else, I feel like I'd be able to package him in a trade more readily than I would Ben.
Hasselbeck is also available.

I guess I could always drop the Bears - whom I would never start against the Lions - and continue on with a flavor of the week (or hope to pick them back up next week). But does it make sense to carry three QBs? I'm in a pickle here ... been thinking about it so much that I can't see the big picture anymore. Some sage advice would be appreciated!

WHIR, as always. Here's my lineup. Standard scoring league. No limits on acquisitions.

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick
RB: Chris Johnson
RB: Beanie Wells
Flex: Nate Washington
WR: Vincent Jackson
WR: Hakeem Nicks
TE: Owen Daniels
D/ST: (this week, Cincy vs Jacksonville)
K: Kasay

BE BEN ROETHLISBERGER (#fail)
BE Dez Bryant (BYE)
BE Rashard Mendenhall (whoa, is me)
BE Felix Jones (BYE)
BE Daniel Thomas (BYE)
BE Chicago Bears D/ST (sitting versus Detroit. Play Minn/TB over next two weeks).
RedBirdChica
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team
(Past Year: 44)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Time to give Big Ben the Heave Ho?

Postby prophecy135 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:13 am

I think Fitz will be fine, they came off two really big games and were due for a let down. Cincy's D is pretty good this year also, so I kinda expected a let down to come.

I dont like Ben, the steelers O line is terrible, and with Mendy on the mend, they dont really have a solid runner to keep pressure off him. I do like Matt Ryan as a potenetial starter, and Hasselbeck has been solid so far, but I think the loss of Brit hurts, he's not going to get a 80 yrd play from Cook every week. I would prefer Ryan to Hasselbeck due to supporting cast. I would maybe try to package ben with a back for an upgrade. You're solid at every position, so I dont think it matters which.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Postby RedBirdChica » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:30 am

No one wants Ben. He's like a garbage throw in for a trade. I'd have to give up someone big to get a top end replacement (Stafford and Romo are on a few benches - but they want the world for them) ... and Ben probably wouldn't be a part of that deal. I don't want to shop Chris Johnson/Nicks/VJax since I have Fitzbeardy as a viable starter. Mendy's value has long since tanked. and I don't know that I'm willing to give up multiple depth pieces for someone like Stafford or Romo.

My question really comes down to - should I drop Ben? Or should I hold onto him and pick up a third QB? Or should I stay as is?

Matt Ryan seems like a better bench mate than Big Ben. And I wouldn't have to give up a big piece of my core team to get him. Just Ben or Chicago D. I just want some feedback here as to whether or not I'm falling victim to panic/tunnel vision ...
RedBirdChica
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team

Postby TaDa » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 am

I think it's insane that Ryan is on your wire. He has White, Jones and Gonzo as passing threats, and Turner for running. He's in a great situation, just off to a slow start.

Grab him N O W

Some semi-urgent love please: viewtopic.php?t=501442
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby RedBirdChica » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:15 am

Right now, my brain is telling me to drop Cincy for Matty Ice. The Lions will score on the Bears at least three times - but their D/ST still has as good a chance as anyone to add in 6 points for a TD. Right? Guess I'll hold onto Ben and see if his situation/stat line improves enough for me to utilize him in a trade package. I really can't justify dropping my fifth round pick just yet. He isn't all around awful ...

I can't believe I'm about to have three QBs in a ten team league. Ugh. What a mess. The Steelers have really screwed up fantasy this year.

Anyone have any better ideas? I'm as surprised as anyone that Matt Ryan was flat out dropped ... and for a Shannahan RB, no less.
RedBirdChica
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Response Team

Postby bigmac41 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:35 am

I too would be reluctant to drop Big Ben this early, but he has struggled and IMO, Ryan makes a much better pairing as a backup with Fitz. If you can, I would grab Ryan and hold onto 3 QBs, at least for a bit and see if Ben can turn it around. As you said, I would probably drop Cincy's D for Ryan and ride it out with Chicago this week.

Thanks for helping with mine
bigmac41
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FU - Football Univ. » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 am

Keep Ben & grab Ryan! If Big Ben can't get rolling, or his foot injury plagues him, you'll have 2 guys to roll with on a weekly basis in Fitz & Ryan.

Matty Ice has been looking better the last couple weeks, and I think last week's game for Fitz was an anomaly. I guess you could drop Big Ben if you wanted, but if there's no limits on roster spots, and over owners have hoarded QB's, why not just keep all 3 on your roster just in case?

Definitely grab Matt Ryan off waivers, though!

Good luck!
Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=501811
FU - Football Univ.
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Conrax » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 am

Right now grab Matt Ryan, and you are going to have to hold on to Ben because while I don't think that O-Line will be completely fixed, I do think they will patchwork it together enough to get it to work for this season. But until Pittsburgh can actually show that then players like Ben and Mendy are going be hard to trade to others. Then when they Pitt offense has a good game it will be then to make the decision and see what you can get for Ben by trying to sell high.
Conrax
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions