Damn you John Madden - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Damn you John Madden

Moderator: Football Moderators

Damn you John Madden

Postby TaDa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Looks like Hillis is asking to be traded since contract negotiations aren't going well. With my luck, he'll end up on KC with zero offensive line.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Damn you John Madden

Postby LeBron James » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Lol, don't say that, I just picked up Jackie Battle as they might use him more now! :-D
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby TaDa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:29 pm

I don't see a ton of places for him to land. I'd love him on the Jets, but that's not going to happen.

Let's list possible homes:

KC. Charles will be back, and Hillis is probably looking for a sweet contract
Miami. They just got Thomas and still have Bush
NYJ. I'd love him here, but doubt that they'd do that to Green
NE. Who the hell knows what Belichick will do
Seattle. Lynch is starting to look a little better

Can anyone think of anywhere else?
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LeBron James » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Off the top of my head, maybe Detroit? Best is better as a 3rd down receiver, he's not a very good power runner. Yeah maybe the Jets, Shonne Green has dissapointed every year he has been in the league, gets hyped up every year but hasn't done much.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:45 pm

I was thinking about Mike Holmgren's (Browns GM) history. Rewind to his Seahawk days. One year, the team had to sign either Steve Hutchinson or Shaun Alexander. At the time, Hutchinson was considered to be one of the best offensive guards in football, and Alexander was also a very good running back. Holmgren wanted Hutch. Tim Ruskell, the Hawks' GM at the time, wanted Alexander.

Ruskell signed Alexander without consulting Holmgren. Hutchinson went to Minnesota. Alexander sucked for the rest of his career, and Hutchinson paves the way for a guy named Adrian Peterson now.

Flash-forward to the present. Holmgren has been through all of this before. Given his history, I don't think he's gonna pay up for a running back. I don't know if that means Hillis is gone for sure...but it sounds possible. His contract ends this year though, so who's gonna pay up for a rent-a-player?

...and do you know how sweet it would be to see him in New England? BJGE is on a one-year contract per Rotoworld...1.8 million. Pats would probably have to throw in some cash to even the deal.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GoodOl'Days » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Interesting fig eater.

Holmgren doesn't want a Payton Hillis long term. He wants him here for now to take pressure off of McCoy so he can develop in the the QB Holmgren wants. Long run, he wants a Ryan Grant splitting time with an up-and-comer.

The Colts should look into acquiring Hillis. I'd want him if I were the Cowboys as well.
GoodOl'Days
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:50 pm

TaDa wrote:I don't see a ton of places for him to land. I'd love him on the Jets, but that's not going to happen.

Let's list possible homes:

KC. Charles will be back, and Hillis is probably looking for a sweet contract
Miami. They just got Thomas and still have Bush
NYJ. I'd love him here, but doubt that they'd do that to Green
NE. Who the hell knows what Belichick will do
Seattle. Lynch is starting to look a little better

Can anyone think of anywhere else?

0% chance he ends up on 4 out of those 5 teams. The only team on that list that has an outside shot to land Hillis is Seattle.

KC - They have Charles, they aren't going to pay two RBs top money.
Miami - They just signed Bush this past offseason and drafted Thomas (He already looks good, why go after another back?)
NYJ - The Jets drafted McKnight two years ago and Powell this year, I doubt the front offense will give after Hillis. And we already have Greene and LT.
NE - Just drafted 2 RBs this past year in Ridley and Vareen.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 75)

Postby u_fig_eater » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't see how he comes to Seattle. IMO they are very happy with Lynch. They are similar runners and have other pressing needs.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Washington perhaps? They probably have one of the weakest backfields in the league overall.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TaDa » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:17 am

Greene has been pretty much a bust. I'm not talking from fantasy perspective either. He just doesn't have that hole finding ability that LT does. If he had 6 guys blocking his way and a half a mile of daylight to the left or right, he will still run into the 6 guys. I was really excited with the McKnight pickup, but with the fumblitis and big mouth, I don't really see him working out as a feature back for the Jets. Hillis is a pure power runner. No finesse, but bruise and cruise. It's essentially what Greene is supposed to be providing, but it's just not happening for him.

And as to the Pats with their draft picks. To Belichick, draft picks are lick gum. He's good using them and throwing them out in a very short amount of time. I don't see their drafting of the two rooks impacting a decision on someone like Hillis.

Should be interesting to watch.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk