Important Question About Trading (WHIR) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Important Question About Trading (WHIR)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Important Question About Trading (WHIR)

Postby csquared11 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:51 pm

I am not a complete beginner, but I have a question regarding the 'legality' of time-based trading.

Am I allowed to make a somewhat one-sided trade this week to fill a need at TE, and in return promise a trade the other way for a QB when the other person needs it?

In my case: I need a TE to cover for Jason Witten this week, and another player has two tight ends. However, he doesn't have a serviceable backup QB right now, and needs a replacement for a future week. I want to trade a mediocre RB (Starks) for a good TE (Gronkowski) this week, and in week 8, give him Matthew Stafford for one of his unused bench player. In the long run, it all balances out, but in the short run, it is not fully fair.

Also, after the one week of use, we would trade players back to the original owner.
csquared11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Important Question About Trading (WHIR)

Postby Weasel_King » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Well, that is definetly something that you can do, and it would clearly help out both teams. Honestly though I myself would not do that as I don't believe in the idea of "renting out" players is fair and just something in general I would avoid. Also- if Mathew Stafford is your current back-up QB, trade him for something valuable! You can get tons of value from him and since he is not starting for you he isn't much of use to you anyway.

Help me out?
viewtopic.php?t=502361
Weasel_King
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby letterafteri » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:14 pm

In most leagues that is technically allowed but frowned upon. I'm in some leagues that have been around for years and have established rules against such a thing and there are penalties if it's proven you did this. Check your rules/settings etc...

I would not do it either as a rental thing. It would be best to work up a trade that suits both teams for the long run. If not with that guy than with someone else. If money is involved do it the right way!
This whole thing works better if you actually participate! HELP ME TO HELP YOU...
letterafteri
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby glackk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 pm

To be short, NO. Every trade should be defensible entirely on its own.

Sure, you're allowed to trade whoever you want if it's within the written rules. A lot of more mature leagues, though, have a rule specifically against this type of rental or provisional trade.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Beginner's Forum