starting players on bye weeks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

starting players on bye weeks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: starting players on bye weeks

Postby dgan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:52 am

The bottom line is, we don't know your league. You do. What do you think will work?

In my league, I had an owner Week 1 essentially forget to set his lineup...played Peyton Manning and Foster (both who were clearly out).

For the entire week, he was the subject of a very humiliating poll question on the league site. Problem taken care of...people have been surprisingly active since. ;-D

That won't work in every league, but something will. Did you talk to the owner yet? Have you tried sending a memo that inactive owners won't be invited back next year? Did you try putting to a vote a midseason rule change?

There are many options aside from just starting to fine people or changing the rules midstream on your own. You just have to know what is going to get through to your league. If nothing does - make sure you change the rules next offseason and maybe replace an owner or two. In our league (partial keeper), we have a 'Toilet Bowl' bracket that all the non-postseason teams go to. You actually have to win a toilet bowl game or two to move up in the draft order, thus tanking at any point doesn't really do you any good.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby oman19 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:57 pm

To prevent this in our league the teams that don't make the playoffs go into a toilet bowl. 7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9. Next week the winners play each other for 1st and 2nd picks and losers play each other for 3rd and 4th picks.
oman19
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:59 pm

In one league im in it costs 250 per man per year. Ten man league. NOBODY ever forgets to set their lineup. Funny how that works. Its a keeper league too. So we have always just had an understanding that you have to have a line up. You cant just not play guys. Of course you wont ever know if someone is tanking if they play guys, but it avoids the people that just blatantly want to lose on purpose.

Last year I was out of the playoffs and one owner had ADP, and Foster. He was only going to be able to keep one. So whoever got first pick the next year was going to get either Foster or Peterson. I really wanted to finish last after I was out of the playoffs lol. Luckily I just played the guys I had and ended up losing anyways. I got Foster.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Another thing we did in that league that I think helped was throw out a weekly prize for highest score. But this will only work for money leagues of course.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JackedSierra » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:52 pm

bigmck wrote:If this is a money league and the guy doesn't care enough to play, he is losing his investment. That should be penalty enough. There are a couple owners in my league like this, but I am not going to do anything. It is their loss and everyone elses gain.

not true- its not only his loss because the team that is 1 spot outve the playoffs and hoping for the team that is starting the player on a bye to win is getting screwed. its happened to me. i needed a team to lose for me to make playoffs. the guy that team played left 2 bye week players on the starters list and just gave away the game when he couldve won. i think that the commish should step in and put in the best projected player. it sux but its only fair, and that guy should be booted from the league. i hate people that get in leagues and just stop playing halfway through
1 point ppr
stafford, henne
best, deangelo, mccoy, benson, starks
fitzgerald, d-jax, jordy nelson, harvin, hester
gates, gonzalez
rackers
baltimore
JackedSierra
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby h8ed-on-me » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 am

I have a hard time tolerating people starting folks on a bye. Mainly because that are basically giving away wins. For example... two owners are competing for a playoff spot, one owner is playing a squad with a full lineup and the other is playing a squad with two people on a bye. The owner that is playing the team with players on a bye starting is getting a free win and the other could end up with a lose. That one win could be what puts that owner above the other for the playoff spot. I see this as a lack of respect for the league.

So what I am doing is marking down how many owners have started players on a bye multiple weeks and how many weeks they have done so. I sent a message to all the owners letting them know that starting players on a bye is unacceptable and the they can potential lose their spots for next year. Those that ignored this warning will be replaced. As a matter of fact I am recruiting new owners as we speak.
h8ed-on-me
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner