Tough question: How to do expansion? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tough question: How to do expansion?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:32 am

49ers Forever wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:Here are the rules in my keeper league. We are expanding from 8 to 10 teams:
1- Each existing team can protect 3+1 from it's roster... these are untouchable.
2- The expansion teams will randomly draw numbers for the order of their selection in the expansion draft.
3- The expansion will snake in it's sequence (1-2, 2-1, 1-2, 2-1).
4- No existing team shall lose more than one player from the non-protected players in the expansion draft. I.E. once a player is selected from team A, then no more players can be selected from team A. The reaon being is that I want to keep the draft pool high for the teams that finished poorly in the league.
5- The expansion teams can not draft a Defense
6- The expansion teams must fufill the rookie requirement keeper rule.
7- FA players are available to be drafted.
8- The expansion teams will select 9th and 10th in the overall draft.

That is how we are doing it.

Ouch, Zimm, that is incredibly harsh. The way I see it, make it hard on the expansion team, but not impossible for like, four years to come. If they were stuck with those rules their top player would be David Boston (if they're lucky). Yikes. Do it like the NFL does.

Not really. Our league right now is only 8 teams. We only can keep 3 players. The plus one is a rookie. A rookie is anybody with less than three years of NFL exp. There will be players in the expansion draft like Holt, Chad Johnson, Eric Moulds, Martin, McNair, and guys like that. They won't have any real good RBs, but they won't have to draft guys like Boston.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby h3rms69 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:53 pm

For a dynasty league i prefer it if the people coming in play like a nfl new franchise would and have to draft from the start. they woulkd get 1st and 2nd picks but would now take years before attaining any god players..drafting all rookies for their first year and using the waiver wires. Then next year they grab more rookies and slowly get better... sure it takes time but hey if anyone needs teams im willing to start from scratch.. because theres quite a few players who u can pick up off free agents (dom davis, rudi johnson, kitna) if ure active enough it should only take a few seasons to start getting to a .500 average
h3rms69
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby guest9 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:17 pm

Are you guys insane ? It's no fun being the new guy with no good players, and it also is no fun playing against that new guy. Leagues are only fun when everyone is participating and interested, and if you put the new owners behind the 8-ball, then they are going to tune out about week 3 or so.

You guys should really redraft and make it fun for everyone. Protect one player at the most.

And somebody mentioned that that is unfair to the people that have been in it for years ?! Well, those people should be good enough at fantasy by now to build a new team.

PeACE
guest9

Friendliness: %

expansion draft

Postby cg482 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:08 pm

My league expanded from 10 to 12 teams this year. Each original team kept 2 players and the two new teams were allowed to choose 2 players each from those available.

Then we had a reverse snake draft. The two newbies drafted 11 and 12 in the first round. 1st and 2nd in the second round. etc...

We play two divisions and each newbie led their respective division for over half the season.
cg482

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:40 pm

i would't mind being the expansion team. it'd be fun cuz its so challenging. i'd be just like the texans with young players like carr and a johnson. you'd get a .500 team in a 2-3 years

Previous

Return to Football Talk