Upgrading WRs: what do you think of these trades? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Upgrading WRs: what do you think of these trades? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Upgrading WRs: what do you think of these trades? WHIR

Postby schmidty » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 pm

12-team redraft; 0.5 PPR; start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, R/W, TE, K, DEF, D. Big come-from-behind win (thanks Jahvid Best!) has me in the mix at 2-3. But middling WR play has been killing me. Only needing to start 2 WRs, I had the draft day strategy of loading up on pass-catching RBs and an elite QB. I hoped that of a bunch of mid-round WRs I favored, at least one of them would emerge as a WR1. Trouble is, they've all been flops - Santonio Holmes, Percy Harvin, Ochocinco, Mike Thomas.

I put out a couple of trade offers before the weekend games. They're still there (the managers haven't checked on their teams since I sent the offers).

My team
QB: Brees, Flacco
RB: Foster, SJax, Best, McGahee, Jacobs, Scott (still waiting on Benson suspension)
WR: Holmes, Harvin, Lance Moore, Mike Thomas, Deion Branch, Antonio Brown
TE: Cook
K: Kasay
DEF: Titans (going to drop for best WW team in week 6)
D: Bishop

Deal 1: McGahee/Harvin for Wallace/Ben Tate

Deal 2: SJax/Branch for Larry Fitzgerald

Since Harvin sucked, deal 1 is probably a long shot. I'd really like to move McGahee though, since I feel his value will decrease with Tebow under center (taking all goal line rushes for himself). Deal 2 seems pretty fair to me. Fitz is underperforming a bit and Branch coming off a really good game (I'll never trust him to start after his zero burned me). A bonus for the other guy is that he'd get SJax right after his bye.

After another weekend, what do you think of these deals? Should I leave both still out there, or maybe pull one (and if so, which one). Maybe pull both and stand pat with my team? And would I be crazy to do both? RB gets thin, but I'd still have Foster/Best with Jacobs always a reasonable scoring option in a pinch. And I'd be pretty stacked at WR, with Fitz, Wallace, and Holmes (with LMoore, MThomas, and Brown for depth).

Leave a link and I'll answer yours.

EDIT: please read my update posts later in the thread ... trade is made!
Last edited by schmidty on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Upgrading WRs: what do you think of these trades? WHIR

Postby VickFan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 am

I like both trades for your team. Although I like the first one better. I'd rather have Wallace then Fitzgerald, and to not have to give up S.Jax would be nice. Unless the other guy is really hurting at RB, I don't see him accepting the first one though. I'd leave them both up. Even IF they were both accepted, it wouldn't be a bad thing - especially with the way Best played tonight.

Thanks for the help with mine.
10 Team Standard League. (Record: 7-3)

QB - Cam, Palmer
WR - Welker, A. Johnson, S. Smith, P. Harvin, A. Brown
RB - Forte, Mendenhall, R. Matthews, Bush
TE - Finley
K - Kasay
DEF - NYJ
VickFan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby schmidty » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 am

VickFan wrote:I like both trades for your team. Although I like the first one better. I'd rather have Wallace then Fitzgerald, and to not have to give up S.Jax would be nice. Unless the other guy is really hurting at RB, I don't see him accepting the first one though. I'd leave them both up. Even IF they were both accepted, it wouldn't be a bad thing - especially with the way Best played tonight.

Deal 1 target is really hurting at RB. He has pretty much no startable otions (Hightower, Tolbert, Reggie Bush, Earnest Graham, Ben Tate). He has tons of talent at WR though (Wallace, Nicks and Bowe). Deal 2 target is a bit better at RB, but still not great (Mendy, DeWill, Torain, TJones). He also has a lot of talent at WR (Fitz, VJax, Colston).

I turned down an offer from team 1 last week: his Bowe/Dallas Clark for my Best/Harvin. Maybe I'm being delusional, but Best just feels like a keeper to me. I could still tinker with deal 1, if the guy would ever get back to me. Like upgrading my included WR to Holmes ... and/or a downgrade to Bowe on his end still feels pretty productive. I was just feeling that Bowe's value skyrocketed to him, so maybe Wallace was the sneakier target. And I could bite the bullet and dangle SJax for Wallace or Nicks - though obviously SJax can only go to one team. The nice thing about team 1 is that he is just so pathetic-looking at RB ... and that securing my Foster handcuff would be a nice throw-in. You'd think one of these 2 guys would be motivated to do a deal with me.
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby schmidty » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:12 pm

Deal 1 was rejected. Deal 2 is still hanging there. I know the manager logged into his team, so he must've seen the offer. I hate when people just sit on offers - either accept, reject, or counter. I'll send a SJax/Branch for Wallace/Tate offer to the first guy. The trades are probably even (as far as what I get in return).

I have a feeling that Best is the only one of my guys anyone would trade a good WR to get. Would I want to substitute Best for SJax in either of those offers? When he's good, Best looks awesome and has the kind of upside that takes fantasy teams to the championship. But I know he can disappear for stretches (even 20 touches/game seems like a long shot). And I'm not convinced he's over being injury-prone.

Anybody else? I've helped out a number of people, only to get a single help in return so far.
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Weasel_King » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Think I would look to sell-high on Best and try to get a decent WR for your team.
Weasel_King
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Habslive » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks for the thorough help on mine. Much appreciated.

I'd be especially happy to get Mike Wallace in return for Harvin and McGahee. Ben Tate has no value to anyone else in your league either, so I wonder if he can be had for cheap. Fitzgerald is waiting to bust out. I bet he returns from the bye week with much improved chemistry with Kevin Kolb. Defenses will also start to realize that Beanie Wells has to be accounted for too. That'll open the field up for Larry too. As a Larry owner, I wouldn't take deal 2. Sjax plays for a team that is likely to be trailing quite a bit. Not to say Jackson can't put up numbers. He can. But he has a ceiling.

Whatever you do, don't lower the value of your players by selling too low on guys like Holmes and Harvin. (I do believe in Holmes, don't believe in Harvin, but hey I could be totally wrong on opposite spectra with those statements). You don't need a trade, but you might have to part with Best if you want a great WR in return. Maybe Roddy's owner isn't happy with the production he's getting out of White so far?
Habslive
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 11)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:48 pm

I like deal 2 for you if you can do it.

Bowe/Dallas Clark for my Best/Harvin I'd reoffer this and see if you can do it. Bowe is a serious upgrade for your WR core. Harvin is expendable.
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 132)

Postby schmidty » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:31 pm

A bump for closure ... and because I know sometimes it's useful to see what guys are going for.

I got a deal done. Went back to the deal 1 team - since he took the initiative to send me an offer earlier (and it was a perfectly reasonable offer), I figured we should be able to hash something out. I offered the two guys he asked for at first - Best and Harvin. In return, I asked for Nicks and Tate (get that Foster handcuff!). Trade accepted! ;-D

My team feels a lot more well-rounded now. TE is still weak (dumb dumb dumb dropping Pettigrew for Fred Davis after week 2) ... but maybe my combo can be serviceable (I keep hearing that Cook is poised to step it up). My team now:

QB: Brees, Flacco
RB: Foster, SJax, McGahee, Jacobs, Tate
WR: Nicks, Holmes, Branch, Mike Thomas, Lance Moore
TE: Cook, Fred Davis
K: Kasay
DEF: Steelers
D: Willis, Bishop

The Steelers seem like a nice FA pickup at DEF (the drop surprised me, but other managers will do those things). I gave up on Bernard Scott for now - needed a week 6 TE, and Fred Davis could do well against the Eagles (who are historically awful at defending receiving TEs). I don't need 2 IDPs, but couldn't help picking up Patrick Willis (the preseason #1 IDP, coming off an 18 tackle game). I could keep the duo until at least their byes are done (week 7 and 8).
schmidty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby GAMETIME03 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:40 pm

100% deal 1 and deal 2 if you can make it happen.
you are getting the best players in both deals, Wallace and Fitz could both end up top 5 WRs and at the very least top 10. The Rb / WR you are giving up are RB/WR 2/3 kind of guys, easy for me to pull the trigger if i was offered these trades. you still have best and foster as your starters, jacob/one of your wrs as your flex, the upgrade in wrs will more than make up for the dip in your flex.

share your thoughts on my trade.
viewtopic.php?t=503775
GAMETIME03
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions