Pick-up and Drop to Waivers... Where to draw the line? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Pick-up and Drop to Waivers... Where to draw the line?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pick-up and Drop to Waivers... Where to draw the line?

Postby magebomba » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:17 am

Anyone had issues with someone picking up and dropping a player within about an hour or so?
It seems fishy and could be interpreted as a strategic move to keep said player from being picked up by the opposition. I am thinking of saying if you pick up a free agent during the week you cant drop him.

On the flip side is when you notice your opponent needs to fill, for example, a TE, so you pick up the best available TE and keep him to keep the opponent from having him. To me, this is acceptable so long you keep said player for the week and he takes up a spot on the roster. It gets fishy when the above problem happens of purposefully forcing a player to waivers.

There is no way to say it was on purpose unless this action is done over and over on the same day.

In my instance, it has happened about 4 times over the course of this year and there is concern from the majority of the league.

I feel I need to address this in some way, as commish, or else it may continue to be abused or others get frustrated and the league starts to break down in its ethics.

Any help is appreciated!!!!
Thanks!
magebomba
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pick-up and Drop to Waivers... Where to draw the line?

Postby JeRmZ » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:02 pm

In my league that I run ...

Claims are processed Wednesday at midnight after each game week.
If you claim a player using your waiver priority and then decide you don't want him, you can drop him.

Once all CLAIMS are processed players open up and you can freely add anyone you would like ... BUT once those players are opened up for the "Free for All" and you add them ... you must keep them for a minimum of one game week.

I had an issue a few years back where one player was doing exactly what you are referring too and picking up players and dropping them to intentionally cause them to lock back up. I decided at that point to kick out that owner, and change the rules. I also noticed a drastic drop in Adds/Drops in my league!
JeRmZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby tah161 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:53 pm

in my league, if the player is dropped sunday, monday, tuesday or wednesday, I believe they hit waivers.

If they are dropped Thursday-Saturday they just become FA and its first come first serve.
tah161
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cards24 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Incorporate an add/drop fee. We charge a $2 for every add/drop transaction... have seen leagues with as high as $5 per transaction. It makes everyone think twice about trying to manipulate the waiver wire. We have been averaging over 300 transactions a year and that extra money goes towards highter payouts ;-D
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby krazymop » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Cards24 wrote:Incorporate an add/drop fee. We charge a $2 for every add/drop transaction... have seen leagues with as high as $5 per transaction. It makes everyone think twice about trying to manipulate the waiver wire. We have been averaging over 300 transactions a year and that extra money goes towards highter payouts ;-D

This is exactly what my league does. Our fee is $5 per transaction. There is NEVER any waiver churning :)
krazymop
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 16)

Postby dgan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:02 am

Most fantasy leaguers, including myself, are firmly against churning. However, how aggressively it should be policed becomes a slightly more debated issue. And their are leagues out there that feel it is perfectly fine strategic move - it's their league I guess, so they can make the rules whatever they want.

Anyway, the point is to make sure you find a happy medium for your league, and each league is different. A "fun" league, for example, charging for drop/adds may just cause inactivity. You could just eliminate waivers so that players aren't locked, but that may give an unfair advantage to the guy who works from home over the guy who lives on a plane. It may be as simple as just educating owners that's not ok, and if you see it happening you will simply unlock the churned players. Some owners don't believe (or just don't think it through) that churning is not ok.

So maybe talk to the owners and see how they'd prefer to deal with it. In the end, though, it is your decision and make sure you get a policy you feel you can enforce.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Well the thing is this:
If the players are FA and you need to pick up a player because of a last minute injury. These things happen. The option needs to be available to a GM in case of not only bye week issues but injuries occur in practice...etc...they go for MRI and it turns out bad etc.

viewtopic.php?t=505418
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 132)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner