Newton/Peterson Trade - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Newton/Peterson Trade

Moderator: Football Moderators

Newton/Peterson Trade

Postby auwareagle47 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:29 pm

So, this is my first post on this forum actually and I have a question over a trade I had proposed late last week that was never even looked at by the other guy til today and he finally countered. I am going to copy and paste the original question I had posed to a few others, as well as the original trade offer and the rosters. Then I will follow up with his counter which to me is not a deal for me, but we'll see what you guys think. 10 team league, standard scoring, no ppr, Starting spots: QB, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, TE, D/ST ,K.

"My roster QB's and RB's: Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, AP, Foster, Forte, Blount,
McGahee, Ingram and Tate. WR- Steve Smith (Car), Jeremy Maclin, Jordy Nelson, Nate Washington.

His roster QB's and RB's: Vick, Newton, Ryan Matthews, Cadillac, Hightower. WR- Devin Hester, DeSean Jackson, Steve Johnson, Jacoby Ford, Sidney Rice, Mike Williams (Sea)

M. Ryan and Freeman each share the same bye week for me in week 8; I actually
picked up Ryan as a FA after someone dropped him. For him Cadillac shares the
same bye week as Hightower which happens to be this week. Since he has only
those three RBs I figured he would be under a little pressure to get a decent
back to fill his open starting roster spot; not to mention, I figure he would
want a little more stability when Matthews's bye week comes up than just
throwing in Caddy. So, would a trade of Freeman or Ryan packaged w/ Blount or
McGahee for Newton be worthwhile for both sides? Keep in mind that so far, I
believe he has kept Newton on the bench just collecting dust.
Also, would the same trade be worth it for Vick at this point or would I be
better off playing match-ups with Freeman and Ryan then rolling the dice on a
week 8 QB grab from FA for their bye?
And which QB/RB package would be the most fair for Newton? I figure
Freeman/Blount."

I did in fact offer Freeman/Blount for Newton. He would go on to drop Cadillac and add Stevan Ridley instead. Of course, he lost his game this past weekend- although, it turned out Blount would have been no help as he left the game... So, now I sit with his roster having Caddy gone, Ridley -for whatever he's worth- in his place and on my roster the potential of Blount being out this week. His counter today: Newton for Freeman/Peterson. I feel I should also mention this is in fact a Keeper league. Right now, I am very -VERY- comfortable with my rb depth, happy enough with my wr's and feel my qb's are at least effective, but I feel adding someone like Newton would give me a slight edge over the other top two guys in the league. However, I am not comfortable with giving up my work horse AP, especially not this week coming up and Blount possibly not playing, McGahee being on a bye week and Ingram as my sole rb left to fill the last starting spot vacated by AP. Personally, I do not feel Newton is even worth AP for a one-to-one trade. However, I am always fond of a big RB stable. So, my simple question from all of this long-windedness... Good trade? Or am I right in my instincts this would be a foolish trade for me? Should I go ahead and decline and offer him Freeman/McGahee, or just give up hope for an actual fair trade for Newton from someone that wants AP?
auwareagle47
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Newton/Peterson Trade

Postby auwareagle47 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 am

I decided to pose another question to this possible trade to see if maybe it would generate a little feedback... Given the current rosters and my depth at RB, would it be a decent trade for both sides if I offered up McGahee/Blount/Freeman for Newton? I don't think my RB stable would take too big of a hit, he would get good RB depth. Also, Manningham is a FA in my league and this would clear up a little space on my roster to add him... So, in reality I would be making a move of McGahee/Blount/Freeman for Newton/Manningham... So, again, would this be a decent trade for both sides?
auwareagle47

Postby auwareagle47 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 am

Ok, I am newbie to these forums, is there some ritual I need to follow in order to get an opinion. I am not certain if I didn't make the post correct of if there is something I am not doing as a newb here. Also, if anyone is actually reading I have one more choice I wanted to throw out for this trade... Blount/McGahee/Ingram/Freeman for Newton/Matthews?
auwareagle47

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Bro I wouldn't dare give up AP for Newton.
AP trade would require a top 10 RB with Newton back to you.
Example:
If I were giving up AP, it would take a Brees+McCoy type of deal
or Newton+Rice type of deal get it.

That is horrid on the other guy's part he's trying to hose you.

McGahee for Newton is fair.
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby auwareagle47 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks for the reply bro. Yes, I knew the offer was a bad one, but I figured I at least had/have some shot of a deal getting done since he at least made some offer- even though it was a horrible one. I went with a Blount/McGahee/Freeman for Newton/Hightower offer and to be honest I would entertain that offer without Hightower in the mix. I still think that is too much for Newton, but I figured I would try to meet him a little bit on this as I can afford the hit to my rb depth and I feel I definitely need a QB upgrade. The only way he gets AP is if I can get him to agree on some sort of AP/Freeman for Newton,Matthew deal. I think he wins with the Matthews for AP part, but I think I get enough out of Newton over Freeman to make it worth my while... The only hesitation I have on pulling the trigger on that deal is simply because this is a keeper league. That being said I would be more inclined to lean towards Foster/Freeman for Matthews/Newton. All this rambling aside, I am waiting to see how reacts on the current deal: Blount/McGahee/Freeman for Newton/Hightower.
auwareagle47

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:02 pm

The Blount side wins that deal IMO.
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Baseball