Turner for Andre Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Turner for Andre Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Turner for Andre Johnson

Postby patrick.keltner » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 pm

I am in a 10-team ESPN non-keeper non-PPR league with the following scoring settings:
Passing: 1pt = 25 yards, 4pts = TD, -2 Turnover
Rushing/Receiving: 1pt = 10 yards; 6pts = TD; -2 Turnover

We can start: QB, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF

My Roster:
QB: Stafford, Fitzpatrick
WR: Welker, Stevie Johnson, Lloyd
RB: Turner, Mendenhall, Bradshaw, Tomlinson, Ryan Grant, Helu
TE: Vernon Davis, Hernandez, Pettigrew
K: Henery
DEF: Minnesota

The trade I have been offered is the following:
I am sending: Michael Turner, Vernon Davis, Brandon Lloyd
Other team is sending: Andre Johnson, Jimmy Graham, Mark Ingram

I am leaning towards Turner being a little too steep a price, even though I get to get rid of Lloyd.

Please let me know your thoughts...
patrick.keltner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Turner for Andre Johnson

Postby jman21 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks for the help. Man I'm jealous of your Tight End Depth.

If you make this deal you're running pretty thin at RB if Mendenhall doesn't bounce back. That's my chief concern. However, I'm not a Turner fan this year. I think he's pretty overrated. Take away one or two big runs from him and he's averaging less than 3 ypc.

Andre seems to be bouncing back from injury really quickly and Jimmy Graham is an absolute beast. Lloyd may suffer with Tebow and I feel like Ingram will come on as the year goes along. I like how this trade sets you up to deal Hernandez or Pettigrew for another running back as well (someone has to be starting Dallas Clark or Kellen Winslow at tight end out there).

So in my longwinded answer, I don't think Turner is too much, though if you want to minimize your risk you can insert mendenhall in there. He'll be back and playing this week most likely.
jman21
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby twinkypoop » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Agree with your concern about losing your depth at RB W/ Turner, and hitching your wagon behind Mendenhal & the PIT O-Line. As well as mentioned above, if you can counter with Mendenhall or Bradshaw might lessen the impact on your RB depth. Jimmy Graham is a fantastic upgrade over Davis, & would more than cover the slight downgrade on the RB depth. Ingram should contribute more as the season goes along: I've been trading for him in many of my leagues.

Thanks again for the help!
Last edited by twinkypoop on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QB- Stafford
RB- J Charles, R Bush, G Bernard, S Jax, B Tate, Snelling
WR- L Fitz, Amendola, Gordon, Gordon, Blackmon, Broyles, Marlon Brown
TE- J Thomas, Cook
K- Walsh
DEF- Rams
twinkypoop
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby patrick.keltner » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Yea I got lucky with the TE depth... some idiot dropped Vernon Davis.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't really think too far into the future about acquiring another RB via trade but that is a great idea, as I have waiver claims in on Battle and Torain this week, dropping Helu and Tomlinson.

The guy didn't like Mendenhall and I was considering countering with Bradshaw instead of Turner as well...
patrick.keltner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby guido1869 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 pm

I think Turner is too much to give up since you have two solid WRs.
guido1869
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby FormerlyADog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:11 pm

I don't think Turner is too expensive in this trade for AJ, however the cost to you would be a big hit at RB depth. I am not a believer in Turner, I don't value him as high as others may. If you want to be a bit greedy, I would try countering with Mendenhall, but you may lose the trade.

While AJ is great, and he seems to be healing well, we don't know how much the injury will impact the rest of his season. You should talk this point up and try to get him to drop the value just a bit. I am an AJ owner, and personally, I am not worried about it.

Graham is a great upgrade over Davis.

Ingram is good, but he will stay behind Sproles in production. Sproles has been a beast and will continue to do so. I see Ingram being consistently utilized for the rest of season, with some improvement/more involvement, but there is a ceiling.

I think Lloyd, as scary as the situation is right now, still has a lot of upside.

Tomlinson and Grant are worthless in my book. I dropped Grant in my 10 team league and he has been a FA ever since. LT is in the same situation (dropped and FA). There have to been some better FA or WW pickups.

Sorry, got sidetracked.... In the end, yes, I would take the trade (potentially counter with Mendenhall), although I don't see it as a homerun. I would try to turn one of your TEs into a RB for sure. I would also be more proactive on the WW in picking up potential studs. I'd rather have a potential and unproven stud than LT and Grant at this point in the season. This week I would look at picking up Battle, Graham, Carter. Tebow is also a target if there are any teams weak/desperate for a QB as trade bait.
FormerlyADog
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby FormerlyADog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 pm

FormerlyADog wrote:I don't think Turner is too expensive in this trade for AJ, however the cost to you would be a big hit at RB depth. I am not a believer in Turner, I don't value him as high as others may. If you want to be a bit greedy, I would try countering with Mendenhall, but you may lose the trade.

While AJ is great, and he seems to be healing well, we don't know how much the injury will impact the rest of his season. You should talk this point up and try to get him to drop the value just a bit. I am an AJ owner, and personally, I am not worried about it.

Graham is a great upgrade over Davis.

Ingram is good, but he will stay behind Sproles in production. Sproles has been a beast and will continue to do so. I see Ingram being consistently utilized for the rest of season, with some improvement/more involvement, but there is a ceiling.

I think Lloyd, as scary as the situation is right now, still has a lot of upside.

Tomlinson and Grant are worthless in my book. I dropped Grant in my 10 team league and he has been a FA ever since. LT is in the same situation (dropped and FA). There have to been some better FA or WW pickups.

Sorry, got sidetracked.... In the end, yes, I would take the trade (potentially counter with Mendenhall), although I don't see it as a homerun. I would try to turn one of your TEs into a RB for sure. I would also be more proactive on the WW in picking up potential studs. I'd rather have a potential and unproven stud than LT and Grant at this point in the season. This week I would look at picking up Battle, Graham, Carter. Tebow is also a target if there are any teams weak/desperate for a QB as trade bait.

Looking at it again... You will have 4 starters until AJ is healthy. Once he's back, you will be starting 3 WRs, 2 RBs. Before going through with this trade, carefully consider trade or WW options for RB. I obviously can't look at other teams in your league so I don't know what the trade options look like.
FormerlyADog
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Pass. I'd dump Pettigrew and Helu for another QB and a WR for depth. What is available?
No to deal because it would hurt your RB depth to much, though it is tempting.
Counter with Mendenhall.
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 132)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prophecy135 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:21 pm

I would agree to the counter with Mendenhall sentiment. I think the deal is fair even with Turner, especially since you're TE depth is so good. You could trade off Hernandez to a team that needs a TE, considering you had Davis and Hernandez and Pettigrew, there has to be someone hurting for a TE. I would shop around Hernandez quick and see if theres a deal to be made there while the other owner considers the counter.
prophecy135
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 206)

Postby patrick.keltner » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:43 pm

Wow! Thanks for all of the responses.

I went ahead and countered with Mendenhall/Bradshaw with the rest of the deal being the same...

I have WW bids out there for Torain, Graham, and Battle so we'll see how that goes tomorrow.

Thanks again,
patrick.keltner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions