Should I throw this week's game? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should I throw this week's game?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:05 pm

I still don't understand how throwing the game would help you. But if it does, then I guess you should throw it.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DiRtY BuCs » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:28 pm

VHawk15 wrote:I still don't understand how throwing the game would help you. But if it does, then I guess you should throw it.

ok check out one of my teams. i'm in 7th place, there are 8 teams, and 8 teams make playoffs. I am tied with the 8th place person in record but i have more overall points by like 20. If i bench all my players i could be in last place and face 1st place guy instead of second.

The first place guys overall points is 2,753.
The second place guys overall points is 3,051

although the guy in first has a better record he had a waaay easier schedule. And the second guys team is tough. So i think i'd rather take my chances with the first place guy.

I'm in 7th place but i blew out the 1st place guy this past week by over 70 points. I have Faulk Back. Boston playing good, price on the verge, Boo lookin good. Everythin is beautiful on my team right now.

But the main thing is that the 1st place guys team is definitely not as good as the 2nd place teams guy, cuz his team is stacked...

plus the matchups of my players are better in week 14 and his matchups arent so good for 1st round...
Last edited by DiRtY BuCs on Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiRtY BuCs
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:29 pm

I may throw my game this week to one of our worst teams to avoid a team that has Vick back now. The guy wasted a #2 on Vick and may sneak in having played Harrington all year, so I dont even wanna try and play him even though I would have the two seed and he have the sevvn if we played.

Our league allows seven teams in...#1 gets a bye, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, etc

If I win I can still get that #1 seed with help, but the risk of playing the team with Vick is enough for me to throw it and take my three seed and play it out.

We will see, the #1 seed would be nice, but thats out of my comtrol.
Arrowhead Nation
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thomas » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:13 pm

DiRtY BuCs wrote:
VHawk15 wrote:I still don't understand how throwing the game would help you. But if it does, then I guess you should throw it.

ok check out one of my teams. i'm in 7th place, there are 8 teams, and 8 teams make playoffs. I am tied with the 8th place person in record but i have more overall points by like 20. If i bench all my players i could be in last place and face 1st place guy instead of second.

The first place guys overall points is 2,753.
The second place guys overall points is 3,051

although the guy in first has a better record he had a waaay easier schedule. And the second guys team is tough. So i think i'd rather take my chances with the first place guy.

I'm in 7th place but i blew out the 1st place guy this past week by over 70 points. I have Faulk Back. Boston playing good, price on the verge, Boo lookin good. Everythin is beautiful on my team right now.

But the main thing is that the 1st place guys team is definitely not as good as the 2nd place teams guy, cuz his team is stacked...

plus the matchups of my players are better in week 14 and his matchups arent so good for 1st round...

Yup, exactly like mine.

I'm 1st seed now, and I'd have to play 4th if I win this week.
However if I lose, I'll fall to 3rd seed and have to play 2nd seed.

2nd seed team is a lot easier and has a heavier schedule than 4th who has a MONSTER of a team and has the easist schedule (ARI, SDG, PITTS). Come on now...
Thomas
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:24 pm

I gotcha. Well, in that case, throw it. The goal of FF seasons is to win the championship, and you should do everything you can to obtain that goal.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Go Packers » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:41 pm

i win never thrown in a game. i am on a gsme win streak and wan't to keep the momentum going. i always put my best lineup out.
Go Packers

Friendliness: %

Postby 49ers Forever » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:46 pm

Even if you threw the game, won't you just end up playing the hot team eventually (provided that they win). And if they don't win in round one, shouldn't you have played them? It can always come back and bite you in the end, I would play to win the game. I also have a situation this week where I thought about throwing a game to give someone else a shot at the playoffs, but it just isn't right.... If FF doesn't allow collusion, it shouldn't allow throwing of games....
49ers Forever
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:22 pm

if you throw a game, you are saying that your team isn't good enough to beat the team you are trying to avoid. do you want to send that message to the guys in your league?

Friendliness: %

Postby Gunslinger » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:49 pm

Yeah, it's hard for me to throw a game. I'll nudge one if need be though. :)
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby greatgretzky » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:08 pm

well in some scenarios, playing to win the league means throwing a game. In my main league, the leader is utterly dominant 12-1 and there is a five way tie for the remaining three playoff spots. so the comp is fun. But if by throwing a game, I could avoid playing him in the first round, I would definitely do it and not think twice. The team has ahman green and priest holmes, trent green as well. His felx back is duckett. So depending on circumstances, KC could be sitting players in the second half -- as our playoffs are week 16 and 17. Green plays denver who is stingy with the backs, as well as duckett at jax. in contrast the week prior, KC plays Minnesotta, and GB plays oakland, not to mention he has darryl jackson plays arizona. No thanks. In that scenario it seems like finishing as the last seed is basically a death sentence. In some weird situations, throwing can be the smartest thing you can do. Yea, you should try to win every week, but most importantly, you should be trying to win the superbowl. Throwing in a scenario like that is definitely the wiser way to go. And if it throws off someone else, that is too bad in my book. Throwing here doesn't seem to be on par with dumping players or collusion, it is simply giving yourself the best chance to win. of course in my league it is moot, but after thsi week I find myself in a position to do it, I sure as hell will.
greatgretzky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk