Just Completed Trade - Need Help With Starters - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Just Completed Trade - Need Help With Starters

Moderator: Football Moderators

Just Completed Trade - Need Help With Starters

Postby Pl3onner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 am

Hey guys, I could use a hand picking my starters for Sunday. I know it's a bit early but I'm anxious since I just completed a trade where I sent Cam Newton and Dwayne Bowe for Michael Turner and A.J. Green (what do you think btw?) Here's my team now:

QB - Tom Brady
RB - Michael Turner
RB - Peyton Hillis
WR - Greg Jennings
WR - AJ Green
TE - Rob Gronkowski
W/R - Benjarvus Green-Ellis

Bench:
Dez Bryant
Darren Sproles
Rashard Mendenhall
Jordy Nelson
Tony Gonzaelz
Mike Tolbert - Bye

First year doing Fantasy but I'm way into it. Head to head 8 teams. I have a lot of things going through my mind, so pretty much anything is up for grabs. Thanks in advanced
Pl3onner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Just Completed Trade - Need Help With Starters

Postby Pl3onner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:28 am

Here's what I'm thinking, not necessary to read to give help:

So I suppose one decision here effects the other. The Patriots had a great week running the ball but Dallas has an amazing run defense. Last week I made the mistake of thinking Green-Ellis was going to do squat with Ridley in the mix and having a good game for the law firm is rare anyway. I started Tolbert and it cost me the win. Should I expect big things from Green-Ellis again? If I know Belichick he rarely goes to a similar gameplan week after week, and it's a lot easier to attack Dallas's secondary rather than it's run defense, especially with Brady. That makes me inclined to bench Green-Ellis and keep the Gronkowski over Gonzalez (although both have been touchdown machines this season). I'm more inclined to start Dez Bryant at the flex, he's done well in the weeks he's been healthy but not a sure thing, although he is playing against the pats, worst pass defense currently. I was going to start him instead of AJ Green but it seems like Green is quickly became a must-start, especially with Dalton playing how he is. Mendenhall is an option for the flex, he's been a big disappointment this season and Big Ben and his receivers seem like they're going to pick up the slack. My friends say start him but I'm not buying it at the moment. Also I'm pretty confident with Hillis, although there's speculation with this contract thing, I still feel like he'll still get a decent to better than decent game.
Pl3onner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ericfox11 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 am

After the initial sentence I was saying "this guy didn't do too well with this trade unless he has Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers". So I think you did very well doing away with Cam.

You basically lost no value giving away Cam (due to Brady), lost some value going from Bowe to Green, and gained a HUGE value getting Michael Turner as he is better than anyone on your bench.

Your roster looks pretty good for this week, but I wanted to mainly post about the trade.
ericfox11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Sticky Fingers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:07 pm

I usually like to go with a RB at flex but it wouldn't be Mendenhall this week. Not with the problems he has had running the ball this season. Its a tough call with Green-Ellis. Like you said, The Cowboys are very good against the run but I see the Cowboys more focused on stopping Tom Brady than the running game. I could see BJGE finishing with 70 or so yards and possibly punching a close one into the enzone. But, I think Dez Bryant is a stud if he can stay healthy which it looks like he is after having a bye week to recover. Plus, the Patriots are the worst passing defense in the league. They will have a hard time stopping Dallas and all their weapons. I really think Dez has a great game. Now, do you put Dez in at WR instead of Green or do you put Dez at Flex? I think I would go ahead and put Dez at Flex and bench Green-Ellis. At TE I would go with Gonzalez. With Hernandez back from injury, Gronk will probably see less targets now.

Thanks for helping me out
Sticky Fingers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 36)

Postby allencvc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:33 pm

i'd go with dez in the flex over Benjarvis cuz the pats are too difficult to predict. 2 wks ago it was ridley getting the touches and last wk it was benjarvis...so who the hell knows who's gonna run the ball.
allencvc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Honeybadgers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Pl3onner wrote:Hey guys, I could use a hand picking my starters for Sunday. I know it's a bit early but I'm anxious since I just completed a trade where I sent Cam Newton and Dwayne Bowe for Michael Turner and A.J. Green (what do you think btw?) Here's my team now:

QB - Tom Brady
RB - Michael Turner
RB - Peyton Hillis
WR - Greg Jennings
WR - AJ Green
TE - Rob Gronkowski
W/R - Benjarvus Green-Ellis

Bench:
Dez Bryant
Darren Sproles
Rashard Mendenhall
Jordy Nelson
Tony Gonzaelz
Mike Tolbert - Bye

First, I think the trade was pretty even. Maybe you could have gotten a little more in a 8 team league for a starting QB, but you certainly upgraded your team for what was a back up player for you.

i like the line up but put Dez in for BJGE. Dallas' run defense is good and Dez is 100% healthy and going against a porus defense. and Romo has something to prove.
Honeybadgers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 42)

Postby ckeenza » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:13 pm

First of all I think you got pretty good value in the trade. Obviously trading Cam doesn't hurt you and Turner was a great addition. As for the starting lineup, I actually like Tony G instead of Gronkowski here. They are both TD machines, but Hernandez is back in the lineup to steal some looks from Gron. Tony G has been surprisingly consistent at the TE position this year and the match up could result in a big day for him. Besides that, I agree with everyone else that Dez needs to be your flex instead of Benjarvus. Not only a safer play but I see him tearing up the Pats D.
ckeenza
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby impervious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:15 pm

i would like to go with dez over ellis too. NE likes to throw the ball a lot. NE's offense is unpredictable anyone can have a breakout game. I would go with dez bryant this week.
impervious
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 11stever11 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:45 pm

I think if you waited a week more you could have got a little more value for Newton but it is a fine trade. I would put in Dez over BJGE as I think Dez will see quite a few targets and NE RBs are risky. Thanks for the help on my. good luck!
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby MMhawk607 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks for answering my question!

I think it was a good trade based on your current QB situation.
As for your lineup I'd have it almost the same.
The only thing different for me would be putting Dez Bryant as your W/R or your WR2 over Green.

But definitely put Bryant in there. Austin is supposedly coming back but his injury means he won't get as many looks. And especially against the mediocre NE Secondary. Bryant starting is a must.

Other than that I think you're golden. ;-D
so pro.
MMhawk607 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Who to Start/Bench