Romo or Newton? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Romo or Newton?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Romo or Newton?

Postby kieu » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:19 am

Romo vs NE
Newton vs ATL

I think Romo, but Newton has been solid.
kieu
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Romo or Newton?

Postby jblaze102 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 am

The matchup says Romo but Cam Newton is the real deal. In only 5 weeks of his rookie season, he has already entered the elite tier of QB's. To me, he is one of those guys where you don't even look at matchup anymore. You just play him.
jblaze102
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 20)

Postby ICanGoAllTheWay » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:57 am

I disagree with the last guy. I'd go Romo. Romo has such a juicy matchup. I think he will be a top 3 scoring QB this week. Romo will have to throw a lot this week to keep up with Brady and the Patriots.

I keep thinking this each week, but at some point I think Newton is going to have a bad week. There is no way this guy cruises through his rookie season racking up 25-30 points each week. He has had one bad game so far through 5 games, I think he is due for another one. Not saying he will have a bad game, but I think the basement on Romo is a lot higher than Newton. Lets say Romo sucks for the 1st quarter and the Pats take a 14-0 lead. This will force Romo to throw 50 times. At worst, I think Romo has 18-20 fantasy points. And that's if he just comes out and plays like crap, which I doubt he does coming off a bye. I think he gets AT LEAST 300-350 yards and 2 TD's. The Cowboys/Pats game is going to total over 55 points IMO. The bookies have the over/under set at 55, which is the highest total for all of the week 6 games. This is just my opinion, but I think Romo throws for 350 yards and 3-4 TD's. Romo has all his weapons back, and you could argue that Romo has the best offensive weapons in the NFL. Austin is a top 7 WR when healthy, Dez is a top 15 WR when healthy, and Witten is a top 5 TE. Not to mention Felix Jones is a great receiving RB.

Newton doesn't have half of the weapons Romo does. And I just don't like Newton's match up too much. He will really be challenged going up against a decent team on the road.

I just think common sense says to go with the veteran who is going up against a horrible pass defense, not the rookie going on the road.
ICanGoAllTheWay
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby doomedn00b » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:59 am

I'd have to say Romo, after the bye his receivers are looking healthy.
doomedn00b
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jblaze102 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:44 am

I am not saying Romo is not going to have a good game. Ofcourse I think he will but in terms of fantasy numbers. Cam Newton blows Romo away. In standard ESPN scoring Romo has 65 fantasy points on the season. Cam Newton has 122 fantasy points and the reason for this huge difference is simple; Newton is racking up rushing yards and rushing TD's as well. (which are generally worth alot more fantasy points)
You have to factor this into the equation. Even if Newton doesn't match Romo's passing numbers which we both know he prolly won't; Newton WILL compensate by getting into the endzone with his feet. He's got 5 rushing TD's through 5 games this season. It's a safe bet. It might just be safer to play Romo, but the Falcons generate just enough pass rush to force Newton out of the pocket and do some damage on the ground.

EDIT: If it's a PPR league, go Romo
jblaze102
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 20)

Postby ICanGoAllTheWay » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:13 am

jblaze102 wrote:I am not saying Romo is not going to have a good game. Ofcourse I think he will but in terms of fantasy numbers. Cam Newton blows Romo away. In standard ESPN scoring Romo has 65 fantasy points on the season. Cam Newton has 122 fantasy points and the reason for this huge difference is simple; Newton is racking up rushing yards and rushing TD's as well. (which are generally worth alot more fantasy points)
You have to factor this into the equation. Even if Newton doesn't match Romo's passing numbers which we both know he prolly won't; Newton WILL compensate by getting into the endzone with his feet. He's got 5 rushing TD's through 5 games this season. It's a safe bet. It might just be safer to play Romo, but the Falcons generate just enough pass rush to force Newton out of the pocket and do some damage on the ground.

EDIT: If it's a PPR league, go Romo

While I do agree that Newton has put up more numbers so far, a lot of that is skewed. First of all, Newton has played 5 games, Romo only 4 games. Romo had a horrible game on MNF because of his broken ribs and he had no starting WR's helping him. I agree that Newton has been better, but I think you'll see a whole new Tony Romo with his WR's healthy. IMO, Cowboys have a top 3 offense with their WR's healthy. After the Pats, I'm not sure if there is a better offense (maybe Saints).

Romo has only had 1 full game with his whole team healthy and it was going up against what was considered the best defense in the NFL, the Jets. And the Boys moved the ball on them easily.
ICanGoAllTheWay
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Lucretius76 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:59 am

Newton is playing against a "good" defense??? Atlanta is a 2-3 team and they almost and probably should have lost to Seattle of all teams 2 weeks ago. Where's is this magical pressure gonna come from? Atlanta only has 9 sacks in 5 games this year, and 50% of those where in a game against Philly that has a horrible O-line.
The only "bad" game Newton has had fantasy wise was against Jax in a *monsoon*. You couldn't even see the field through the rain it was so bad. Yet Newton still managed 17 points standard that game. Newton has accounted for 12 of his teams 13 total TDs this year, and the Panthers are obviously not afraid to let him throw the ball a ton. I think Newton is easily a top 5 or better start this week against a bad Atlanta defense allowing the 9th most points to opposing QBs this year.

Romo has a nice matchup, no doubt. But New England(6th most points allowed) is only slightly worse against opposing QBs than Atlanta(9th). Romo has to travel to NE, not exactly a cake walk place to play. Newton has to travel to Atlanta,........Newton in a **dome**, need I say more??

Cam gets 30+ points again this week. How can people keep benching him??
Lucretius76
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Postby howard » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 am

What everybody is forgetting here is that Mile Austin is back. I go with Romo. But really, you can't go wrong, both will have big days.

Mine - viewtopic.php?t=503469
howard
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby csquared11 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:24 am

Newton is very high-risk, high-reward right now. Obviously his play has been incredible so far, but its very possible he drops off at any time. If you feel that you are the underdog this week, go with Newton, otherwise, stick with Romo, who does have Miles Austin this week.

Both teams have pretty good matchups, so I wouldn't take that as too important of a factor this week.

Some help? viewtopic.php?t=503483
csquared11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Who to Start/Bench