Rankings or Gut Feeling? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rankings or Gut Feeling?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rankings or Gut Feeling?

Postby rotoquest » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:51 am

As someone who is playing fantasy football for the first time, I find myself scurrying through many websites for their rankings each week. I have usually been trying to play the best rankings every week, but there is always a player on the bench that I have a gut feeling about that seems to play well. For instance, I am sitting fitzgerald & bowe this week because of bye's, and after waver pickups these are my options for wide receiver 1 & 2:

1. Darrius Heyward-Bey
2. James Jones
3. Michael Crabtree
4. Greg Little

I have them ranked according to what the weekly rankings suggest, and maybe my gut feeling is just gas, but I feel that greg little is going to breakout this week. So my question is do fantasy owners go with rankings pretty much all the time, or do they like to go with their gut feelings?
rotoquest
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rankings or Gut Feeling?

Postby doomedn00b » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 am

well, DHB for sure I'd say. He's going against Cleveland and Campbell seems to have taken a liking to him. James Jones is merely a "meh." When Green Bay gets far enough ahead of St. Louis, if possible, they'll start to run the ball to kill the clock. Assuming Detroit stays in tip-top form and pulls ahead of SF, Crabtree could be targeted in a catch-up effort. I'd have to say DHB and Crabtree personally. my $.02
doomedn00b
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dolfan19 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:28 am

i just use rankings as guidelines. everyone has different rankings, and it is definitely not an exact science trying to predict who will score on any given week. so, i'm looking at the rankings, and then going with my gut. if you think Little will breakout, then go for it. you would probably be more upset if he put up great numbers on your bench then if he put up a 4 as your starter.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 am

Dolfan19 wrote:i just use rankings as guidelines. everyone has different rankings, and it is definitely not an exact science trying to predict who will score on any given week. so, i'm looking at the rankings, and then going with my gut. if you think Little will breakout, then go for it. you would probably be more upset if he put up great numbers on your bench then if he put up a 4 as your starter.

Likewise. FWIW, I'm also starting Little in several leagues over 'higher ranked' players. ;-D
2008 Killer Crossover League Champion
2009 Killer Crossover League Champion
RedHopeful
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Basketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby latraffic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Dolfan19 wrote:i just use rankings as guidelines. everyone has different rankings, and it is definitely not an exact science trying to predict who will score on any given week. so, i'm looking at the rankings, and then going with my gut. if you think Little will breakout, then go for it. you would probably be more upset if he put up great numbers on your bench then if he put up a 4 as your starter.

Totally my approach as well.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Purple1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:55 pm

latraffic wrote:

Totally my approach as well.

This sums it up perfectly. I always tend to feel better about things like this regardless of the outcome when I make the decsion as opposed to listening to an "expert's" advice or going off someone elses rankings. FF is always more fun when your rooting for they guys YOU like and want to see do well.

I'm actually gonna play Little this week in both my leagues due to injurys/byes and lack of a better option right now. I'm hoping he turns out to be a decent bye week filler the next 2 weeks. His match ups look good @ Oakland coming off the bye week and Seattle at home after that so fingers crossed.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby rotoquest » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks for responding and I'm glad to read that people do go with their gut feelings because I will be starting Little this week. Only New England has given up more passing yards this year than Oakland. However on the the flipside, Cleveland shut down CB Joe Haden will probably not play this week, and look for oakland receivers to flourish because CB Sheldon Brown is horrible, and the middle of the defense is extremely susceptible to the pass. So I will also start Darrius Heyward-Bey.
rotoquest
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk