Brandon Lloyd to the St. Louis Rams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brandon Lloyd to the St. Louis Rams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TaDa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:31 am

As a Lloyd owner, all I can say is "WOOOOT"

As per roto:

Brandon Lloyd is being traded to the Rams, according to multiple reports.
Lloyd has been told not to report to the Broncos' practice facility Monday. The fit in St. Louis makes plenty of sense. Lloyd immediately steps in as the best receiver on a team in desperate need of playmakers. He's reunited with Josh McDaniels, whose offense he broke out in last season. And Mike Sims-Walker has been banished to the doghouse, ending up as a healthy scratch yesterday. Lloyd's fantasy outlook is on the rise as he leaves Tim Tebow's inaccurate arm and John Fox's run-first first scheme for McDaniels' pass-happy system.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Brandon Lloyd to the St. Louis Rams

Postby m16a » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:42 pm

TaDa wrote:As a Lloyd owner, all I can say is "WOOOOT"

As per roto:

Brandon Lloyd is being traded to the Rams, according to multiple reports.
Lloyd has been told not to report to the Broncos' practice facility Monday. The fit in St. Louis makes plenty of sense. Lloyd immediately steps in as the best receiver on a team in desperate need of playmakers. He's reunited with Josh McDaniels, whose offense he broke out in last season. And Mike Sims-Walker has been banished to the doghouse, ending up as a healthy scratch yesterday. Lloyd's fantasy outlook is on the rise as he leaves Tim Tebow's inaccurate arm and John Fox's run-first first scheme for McDaniels' pass-happy system.

I'd wager that this also gives Bradford a significant boost as well? He's finally got himself a solid target who isn't (knock on wood) hurt.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby FatFoot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Don't be so sure this does anything positive for anyone. Lloyd has been a huge bust for like 4 teams before he suddenly became good for Denver.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby m16a » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 pm

FatFoot wrote:Don't be so sure this does anything positive for anyone. Lloyd has been a huge bust for like 4 teams before he suddenly became good for Denver.

Accurate Bradford + reuniting with McDaniels (who made him a star) should most likely = continued success. I'm not too staked in either, I'm just kinda thinking out loud really.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Lucretius76 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Lloyd goes from one garbage team to another garbage team. Bradford, while he had a nice year last year has fallen back to earth. This guy has put up 20 points (standard) just once this year, and he has scored 13 or less every other game. So now 1 single player is going to remedy that?? St. Louis is simply desperate and just making a "show" of effort here.

This hardly seems news-worthy to me.
Lucretius76
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Postby chcbb » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:33 pm

Hopefully this bumps up Decker's production ... who is one of my backup/flex WRs. Although I'm afraid that w/o Lloyd defenses turn their focus more on him. On the other hand, Teabow's *potential* for running could open up things downfield. Should be interesting.
chcbb
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TaDa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Absolutely any move for Lloyd is/was a good thing. With Orton sucking, and now the Broncos going to Tebow, at least now, Lloyd ends up on a team with a better line, with a better RB where he ends up as WR1. Add to that that the Rams have a pretty bad defense, and that adds to Bradford having to throw more. This = upgrade in my book.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TaDa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:45 pm

I think Roto did a pretty good job of analyzing the trade. They didn't factor in Bradford's sprained ankle, but still a decent writeup.

It’s been a strange season. First, the lockout. Then, a rash of early-season hamstring injuries that turned the fantasy world on its head. And now -- gasp -- a high-impact trade at the deadline.

The Broncos sent Brandon Lloyd to the Rams Monday in exchange for a conditional sixth-round pick in 2012. Here’s the fallout for all the affected parties:

Brandon Lloyd - Major upgrade
In Denver, Lloyd was just a talented guy in coach John Fox’s run-first, ball control scheme. He was averaging 4.7 catches for 70.7 yards with no touchdowns. And to make matters worse, Tim Tebow’s inaccuracy was going to put a damper on his expected production even further.

Now in St. Louis, Lloyd’s arrow is pointing way up. He is reunited with ex-Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, who is now the offensive coordinator in St. Louis. He’ll immediately be able to step in as the No. 1 receiver in a scheme that emphasizes the pass. And his new quarterback is among the most accurate passers in the game. Lloyd is back on the fantasy radar as a WR2 with upside.

Eric Decker - Major upgrade
Meet your new No. 1 receiver in Denver. Although Tim Tebow’s potential struggles as a passer are a red flag, Decker has the physical, possession-receiver style an inaccurate quarterback can work with. Decker has also proven to be a physical beast after the catch. As an every-down player the rest of the way, owners can safely pencil Decker in as a weekly WR3.

Tim Tebow - Slight downgrade
Brandon Lloyd makes the absurd catch appear routine, so Tebow is certainly going to miss him. However, we haven’t pegged Tebow as a fantasy monster because of his arm. He will be eased in with screens and quick slants while he uses his legs to make plays. Tebow will serve as the goal-line back and will rush 10-plus times per game. That’s not going to change with Lloyd gone.

Sam Bradford - Upgrade
The wideout play in St. Louis has been downright embarrassing this season. Free agent acquisition Mike Sims-Walker flopped so bad that he was a healthy scratch Sunday. Rookies Greg Salas and Austin Pettis have both struggled badly with drops and inconsistency. Bradford’s favorite target, Danny Amendola, is done for the year with an elbow injury. With Lloyd in town as a legit No. 1 receiver and big-play threat that knows the system, Bradford is a strong bet to post vastly improved numbers going forward.

Eddie Royal/Demaryius Thomas - Wait and see
Both Royal and Thomas are healthy now. They’ll compete to start opposite Eric Decker, with Royal the early favorite thanks to his experience and status as the veteran. However, neither one is a good bet for production with Tim Tebow under center and John Fox leaning on the run. If making a speculative add, Thomas is the one to target as the vastly surperior talent.

Danario Alexander/Brandon Gibson/Greg Salas - Hold steady
It’s clear that Alexander is the superior talent to Gibson, but the age-old question is the health of his knees. If Alexander can nail down the starting job opposite Lloyd, he’ll be a serious upside play. We’ve seen the kind of difference-making skills DX has. Look for a rotation between the two for now, but Alexander has looked healthy enough to play all the snaps lately.

Gibson, meanwhile, was averaging just 3.4 catches for 42.8 yards as an every-down player. He shouldn’t have been on your team before and certainly shouldn’t be now. … Mike Sims-Walker will likely be released to make room for Lloyd. Drop him. … Greg Salas has the hot hand in the slot right now, a position that won’t be filled by Lloyd or Alexander. He’ll lose a couple targets, but is on the extreme deep-league PPR radar.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FatFoot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:48 pm

TaDa wrote:Absolutely any move for Lloyd is/was a good thing. With Orton sucking, and now the Broncos going to Tebow, at least now, Lloyd ends up on a team with a better line, with a better RB where he ends up as WR1. Add to that that the Rams have a pretty bad defense, and that adds to Bradford having to throw more. This = upgrade in my book.

I think that this is dream land.

First off, am I mistaken, or do the Rams own the stats for MOST SACKS given up at 22, where Denver is tied for the second FEWEST sacks at 9? This is not an upgrade. It's a huge downgrade.
Next, it seems as though the Rams are the WORST team for QB hits, at 46 (10 worse than the Bears!) where Denver is the BEST, at 17? This is not an upgrade. It's a MONUMENTAL downgrade.

Lloyd was the #1 WR for Denver. He will NOT be a functional #1 for the Rams this quickly, unless this illustrates an absolute white flag on the part of the OC. He isn't going to know his team or his playbook that quickly. This is not an upgrade.

The Rams are as bad at football as it gets. Lloyd was a great deceiver in Denver, and he would need a few weeks to even become fantasy relevant in St. Louis, if that's even possible. I think that if you review his history as a player, http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonlloyd/2505600/profile you see a 30 year old receiver with a history of TOTAL SUCK, except for one year in Denver, and one game this year with Orton. Maybe if he went to the Patriots, he'd have value. I think he's total scrap heap, and I think many people WAY overpaid for him this year, based on last year. If you're THAT GREAT, teams build around you. There's always a reason a dude like this doesn't find a home.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Except he doesn't have to learn the offense cause he played in it last year, and who says a lot of those sacks are because none of the rams receivers could get open (and I assure you they can't). Biggest 'if' to me at this point is Bradfords ankle, if they can both stay healthy I see no reason the production of both players doesn't rise at least a bit. Lloyd should benefit simply based on the number of targets he's gonna receive all of a sudden.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Football Talk