Rivers or Tebow? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Rivers or Tebow?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rivers or Tebow?

Postby splocal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:32 pm

I know, I know. Never sit Rivers. Still I think week 7 makes an interesting decision. I am well aware of what Rivers is able to do, which is why I picked him up second round. But lets face it, he hasn't been playing his best and his next match-up is against the Jets. Tebow, on the otherhand, is also coming off a bye and will be eased into his season with the dolphins. In a non-PPR league, what would you do for week 7?
splocal
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rivers or Tebow?

Postby jackkerouac86 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Funny, I'm in the exact same predicament.

Honestly, I think Tebow is worth the risk. Even if he doesn't garner a ton of passing yards/TDs, you know he's good for a slew of rushing yards and a rushing TD or two. Miami's defense is ranked 28th. I look for big games for both Tebow and Willis McGahee as Denver moves into a run-heavy offense. Tebow's also had time to rest and prepare with the Bye. I like the matchup.

The Chargers are against an always-stingy NYJ defense. Rivers has been particularly unspectacular against AFC East teams thus far.

I just think Tebow, however much a risk he is, has much more upside Week 7 than Rivers.
jackkerouac86
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TaDa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:33 pm

You're thinking of starting a rookie that rated horribly before the draft, over a proven QB that has pulled a win out of thin air more than once...

Umkay.

So my recommendation is pretty obvious I think. Rivers. Factor in that my Jets cannot put a pass rush together on a dare, and once again, RIVERS
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby jackkerouac86 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Tebow isn't a great QB. This is Fantasy Football we're talking about. I could care less who wins the game, but Tebow's ability to make serious fantasy points is undeniable. The last 3 weeks or so of last season, he was one of the top 4 point-producers over any position.

The Jets lack of a pass rush isn't the issue. Revis will eliminate Vincent Jackson himself, Gates has been hurting and inactive, Rivers effectiveness immediately goes down.

The long haul, you go with Rivers. When it's between a point hog against Miami and a risky matchup against a pissed off Jets D, you go with Tebow.
jackkerouac86
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Dolfan19 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:45 pm

doesn't really matter if the broncos get a win or not. Tebow's fantasy stats are always going to be good because of his rushing ability. I'd go tebow. (i also drafted rivers in the second round, which is unfortunate, because halfway through the fantasy season he's a distant 3rd on my roster behind cam newton and ryan fitzpatrick, and nobody wants to trade)
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby TaDa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Okay, so let's talk this through.

Tebow just lost his best receiver. Tebow is behind a pretty poor line. Tebow has 2 RBs that no defensive coordinator is afraid of.
Rivers will have Gates, Tolbert and Mathews back. Add Vincent Jackson to the mix

And once again I state my opinion...RIVERS
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby snemacheck » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:11 pm

I can see your dilemna- the Dolphins are an ideal team for Tebow Christ to have a great break out performace. He should manage to put up some fantasy points (even more so if all that running he does behind the line of scrimmage counted for yardage haha) but there are still alot of variables. Rivers has been a bit of a dissapointment and his match-up is a lot less favorable, but it IS Rivers, not someone easy to bench. Good luck with your decision, you wont be left dry with either one.
snemacheck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby splocal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. It will probably come down to a last minute decision for me. As a Jets fan, I guess I put a lot of faith in their defense against the pass so I am leaning towards Tebow. It will be interesting to see how Miami plays tonight. Since you all have been so helpful with this, would you mind taking a look at my other post?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=504243
splocal
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Who to Start/Bench