Carson Palmer a Raider? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Carson Palmer a Raider?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Carson Palmer a Raider?

Postby 16FAC » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:24 pm

From the owners point of view I can understand it. I know it is giving up alot but they are 4-2 and need to keep things rolling. Palmer has the experience to duplicate Campell or be better and they will certainly need him If they make the playoffs. Whew! Maybe DHB can keep rolling if Palmer has enough juice to get the ball 35/40 yds down field.
16FAC
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response Team
(Past Year: 120)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby spodog » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:58 pm

This is a good summary, but you left out a few things:

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Oakland is down a lot of picks the next two years.

2012 Draft Picks
Round 1 - Traded to Cinci (Carson Palmer)
Round 2 - Traded to NE (2011 3rd & 4th round picks)
Round 3 - Will blow this on a CB with 4.3 speed but no cover skills
Round 4 - Traded to WAS (Jason Campbell)
Round 7 - Traded to SEA (Aaron Curry)

2013 Draft Picks
Round 1 or 2 - Traded to Cinci (Palmer)
Round 2 - Will blow this on a track star with 4.4 speed who moonlighted as a WR on his football team in college
Round 4 or 5 - Traded to SEA (Curry)

The Raiders will also pick up 2 or 3 compensatory picks for the loss of free agents, probably in both of these drafts.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:24 pm

So is he like a for sure pick up then? Im in a 2 QB league and I have been starting Schaub/Cutler... Think Carson could fit in there somewhere?

Im also happy that this is almost guaranteed to help out DHB.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby biju » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:40 am

spodog wrote:This is a good summary, but you left out a few things:

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Oakland is down a lot of picks the next two years.

2012 Draft Picks
Round 1 - Traded to Cinci (Carson Palmer)
Round 2 - Traded to NE (2011 3rd & 4th round picks)
Round 3 - Will blow this on a CB with 4.3 speed but no cover skills
Round 4 - Traded to WAS (Jason Campbell)
Round 7 - Traded to SEA (Aaron Curry)

2013 Draft Picks
Round 1 or 2 - Traded to Cinci (Palmer)
Round 2 - Will blow this on a track star with 4.4 speed who moonlighted as a WR on his football team in college
Round 4 or 5 - Traded to SEA (Curry)

The Raiders will also pick up 2 or 3 compensatory picks for the loss of free agents, probably in both of these drafts.

No, I believe the Raiders don't have that 3rd round pick either in 2012. I'm pretty sure they used that in the supplemental draft on Terrelle Pryor, meaning the Raiders have 3 draft picks tied up in 2012 (1st, 3rd, 4th) for 2011 QBs.

Someone needs to do an exorcism in Oakland because the ghost of Al Davis lives on...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby a4ce » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:20 am

I don't think they "mortgaged" their future. If you take the time to look at their roster, they are a very young team aside from the DT/NT spot. With the remaining picks(5th and 6th plus comp picks in 2012) they should be able to pick up a DT for Seymour to groom. And with the money they save by not having high picks, they can go after some proven players during FA. The shock of a first in 2012 and a conditional first in 2013(it's a first if they Raiders make it to the AFC Championship, if not it's a second) is a steep price but I think Palmer is a better QB than Campbell and should do very well with the weapons he has in Oakland. HueJax has the team moving forward and knew that Boller would slow it down.
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Postby biju » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 am

a4ce wrote:I don't think they "mortgaged" their future. If you take the time to look at their roster, they are a very young team aside from the DT/NT spot. With the remaining picks(5th and 6th plus comp picks in 2012) they should be able to pick up a DT for Seymour to groom. And with the money they save by not having high picks, they can go after some proven players during FA. The shock of a first in 2012 and a conditional first in 2013(it's a first if they Raiders make it to the AFC Championship, if not it's a second) is a steep price but I think Palmer is a better QB than Campbell and should do very well with the weapons he has in Oakland. HueJax has the team moving forward and knew that Boller would slow it down.

I wouldn't call it mortgaged either. More like assisted suicide.

Let's be real here; late picks normally don't amount to much more than special teams players or practice squad players in most cases. The chances of them becoming starter quality is extremely low, so I wouldn't count on the Raiders picking up a replacement level player (especially for Richard Seymour) late.

And as for money saved by not having high picks, this might have been a good call prior to the new CBA but (without looking it up) the contract for the #1 overall pick (Cam Newton in this case) is something like 4 years/$22 Million where Carson Palmer signed a 4 year/$48M deal. In other words, they are paying him more money than they would have if they had the #1 overall pick two years in a row.

Last, I'd like to submit that Carson Palmer *may* be a better QB than Jason Campbell, and is likely a better QB than Kyle Boller. The truth is that I have a hard time believing he'll be good this year in an offense he doesn't know (but might have familiarity with due to previous coaching) and players he hasn't worked with. Also looming is the arm power problems we've seen the past 3 years. I know Carson has been saying his power is back, but how is this speech any different than every player who needs a job? In the end, I agree that he's a better option than Boller for this year but not better than Campbell and will still have major problems due to his declining play.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dgan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Other than thinking to myself, "well, that's the Raiders for you" I really didn't have a negative opinion of this right away. But after letting it soak in now, I'm really starting to plug my nose at this. I mean, this is really simple to evaluate:

You are spending two first round picks for a middle-aged guy who, at best would be a backup pro-bowler. This isn't a future star. He'll be playing an offense he doesn't understand on a team full of slot receivers. Really what are you banking on? That you'll run the ball, run some play-action pass and hit guys deep? You're assuming a) that he has regained that strength and athleticism and b) that he is rejuvenated by getting out of Cinci. Let's face it, his physical issues were likely a direct byproduct of his mental state - him getting sick of playing for a screwed up organization...so he moves to the Raiders?

To me that is a huge price to pay when your best case scenario is having the second best QB in your division for the next couple years. I don't see this working out to the tune of 2 first round picks...this actually reminds me a little bit of what the Pitt Pirates did in baseball this year. They had a sniff at the division at the deadline, sold a bunch of prospects, and immediately went into the tank. I could see that happening here, to a lesser extent.

On the flip side, Oakland is so bad at drafting it probably doesn't matter. They would have messed up those picks anyway.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 am

And now he has TJ to throw to again

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d823b0c1e/ ... r-workout/

I think they're taking those cracks we made about Cinci becoming Oakland east a little too seriously.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Previous

Return to Football Talk