How is your keeper league setup? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How is your keeper league setup?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How is your keeper league setup?

Postby Ozymandias19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm curious to hear about the different setups people have. What I mean by this is: How many players do you keep? If you keep a player, what round does that player count from?

Example: If you take player X in round five and choose to make him a keeper, what pick will you lose? Is it the same round you chose the player, or does it turn into your first or second pick the next year?
Ozymandias19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How is your keeper league setup?

Postby dgan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Ours is a fairly complex partial keeper, ironically because certain owners over the years have resisted large changes, opting instead for the tweaks here and there. The result 10+ years later is somewhat bizarre rules, but I love it...tons of fun!

We draft 20 rounds. You may keep one player from Rounds 17-20 the following year (non-kicker/defense). That player may be kept indefinitely, and the round they occupy never changes. QBs tend to have longer staying power, although I had a good run with McGahee (currently waiting on Josh Freeman...) - current big names are Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan. This gives those who use a roster spot on a future prospect a significant advantage if that prospect eventually turns into a superstar. The person with Rodgers essentially gets a top 15 pick in Round 17 for the forseeable future.

This also changes the strategy of when defenses and kickers are picked. If you have Rodgers in Round 17, you probably are safe to use 18-20 on kickers, defenses and backup TEs. Since you can only keep one player, you probably won't be dropping Rodgers next year anyway. Plus in Rounds 15 and 16, a lot of owners choose to waste picks to "block" prospects so that owners can't get them in Round 17. A lot of different strategies are employed.

The second keeper we use isn't a true keeper, but what we consider an RFA. This label can be given to any player you drafted from Rds 3-16 the previous year. The key is that you don't have to name the player until that player is drafted by someone else, at which point you can keep that player with your next available pick sometimes could be a full round and a half later. This adds a ton of strategy to the draft. One owner this year had RFA options on both Foster and Charles (he RFA'd Charles due to Foster's hammy...oops!). Again, there is a lot of mind games being played, because you may take a player earlier than you normally would just to force another owner to RFA the player. This strategy can - and often does - backfire, though.

Those are the only 2 players we "keep". I'd like to add more, but as I say owners are resistant.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Ozymandias19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks a lot, that is exactly the type of response I was looking for. Hopefully some others can tell us about their leagues.

The reason I'm asking, is because I'm in a league that wanted this year to be the first year of a keeper league. However, there was a lot of confusion when the rules were set. The only rules that were clear were: we keep two players and they have to come from the third round or later. That's it. I just now found out that any player we keep from the third round or later will count as our first and second round picks the following year. I'm blown away by this, it simply doesn't make sense. So we (the league) are trying to figure out a way to meet in the middle, as it seems no one really knows what the rules are.

I'm thinking keeping the rules rather simple. Two keepers for this year, with changes being made for next season. The keepers can come from the third round or later. Any players that are kept will cost you the round they were taken the following year. There is no limit to how long you can keep a player. We will have an IR.

What do you think of those rules, simple, yes? Or do you think having our keepers cost us our first two picks even though we cannot keep players picked in those two rounds is a good thing?
Ozymandias19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 pm

For years we have kicked around the idea of increasing the round in which the player was drafted by two rounds each year. So if you keep a 12th round pick, it will only cost you a 10th - whereas a third round pick becomes a first. We've never gotten enough support to do it - and frankly, I was one of those who was opposed due to our unique 17-20 keeper rule. I would only be in favor if we expanded the number of keepers.

I think either way is fine, but it really should have been agreed upon before. Now different owners will want different rules based on how it will help their keeper situation next year. So not the best situation.

Don't understimate how difficult it is for the Commish to track keeper players either, particularly when they are going to be moving to a different round each year. You need good software and record keeping.

You also need clear rules on how trades and drop/adds affect keeper status. One of the bizarro things that happened in our league is that you can label a player an RFA (Restricted Free Agent) even if he didn't finish the previous season on your roster. It was just some language that never made it into the rule, and now I can't get the owners to agree to add that language in. Frustrating.

But the point is that rules are always important, but the more complex the league becomes the more loopholes you open yourself up to. You really need to be diligent about making the rules clear...arguments become far more complex in keeper leagues.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Ozymandias19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm finding out that the arguments do indeed get a bit more complex. People are also trying to sway the rules to favor their personal situation. It will be interesting to see how everything turns out.
Ozymandias19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby fezzik » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Mine is in its 10th year and similar to the post above, has undergone tweaks over that time.

To allow for ample turnover, you may keep up to only 3 players...each of these players must be drafted two rounds earlier than when they were drafted the year before. You may only keep a player for 3 seasons before he is thrown back into the player pool. Players who were not drafted, but are picked up in FA and wish to be kept are kept in round 10. If two or more players are to be kept in the same round (whether through a trade of a FA pickup), one of the players must be taken a round earlier than usual unless you have an additional draft pick for that round to accommodate the additional keeper. Keepers are usually due a week or two before the draft to allow for managers to adjust to the player pool. If a kept player is injured before the draft, the manager has the option to swap him out for a different keeper or not keep that player. We lock down FA after the draft until the season starts, then proceed with typical waiver rules...so you can't add or drop a player until after players clear waivers after week 1. The only exception would be if you can't field a starting roster for week 1 due to injury/suspension, in which case the commish will manually add and drop a player of your choice to fill the need. This setup seems to work remarkably well, keeping extremely active, moderately active, and set-my-lineup-Saturday-night-and-forget-about-it-active managers satisfied.
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:25 pm

my keeper league is ultra simple...but enjoyable. we are required to keep 1 player. we can keep a second player but we lose our first round draft pick if we do so. doesnt matter where they were drafted or anything like that. and they are keepable for as long as you want them. we usually have about half the league keep two players.

as was kind of touched on before...when you are talking about keeper/dynasty leagues you have to be really careful of any changes you make after the initial draft. pretty much anything after that needs to be unanimous decisions from the owners.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ozymandias19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:my keeper league is ultra simple...but enjoyable. we are required to keep 1 player. we can keep a second player but we lose our first round draft pick if we do so. doesnt matter where they were drafted or anything like that. and they are keepable for as long as you want them. we usually have about half the league keep two players.

as was kind of touched on before...when you are talking about keeper/dynasty leagues you have to be really careful of any changes you make after the initial draft. pretty much anything after that needs to be unanimous decisions from the owners.

That sounds somewhat similar to our current setup that I was unaware of. So, if you keep one player, what pick do you have to give up? How does everyone like having to give up a first round pick to keep a second player, regardless of said players' draft position?
Ozymandias19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 pm

you dont give up any pick if you keep one. those players are taken out of the pool and the draft starts as normal at round one. owners that have chosen to keep a second player have that player slotted into their first round pick slot..so you give up your first round pick (technicaly a second round since 10 guys were already kept). sounds more confusing than it is.

in my ten years in the league i have kept two guys every year except one. if i remember correctly it was the year kurt warner bombed when he was on the rams and i took him second overall...and fred taylor was my all-star running back :-b :-o . i like the setup it because it can give teams a chance to recover a little better if you have a down year (by only having to keep 1)...but rewards you if you draft/trade well (by letting you keep 2)...and its not so complex that everyone in the league has to be a diehard fantasy guy (a lot of the guys/girls have job and family obligations).
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:22 am

Ours is similiar to Deluxe's... Its an optional 3-man keeper league. You can keep up to 3 guys but for each guy you keep, it takes a round out of your draft. If you keep 3, you dont start drafting until the 4th round. You can only keep a player 3 times so you will be forced to trade him eventually or lose him to the pool.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk