Need input.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need input....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need input....

Postby beercitybrawlers » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:15 am

Our commissioner wrote late last night:

"Hi All,

I just made a careless mistake when I went to pick up Crabtree. I thought I was dropping Marion Barber (for obvious reasons) and I accidentally dropped Cedric Benson instead. I'm just going to fix it because that's what I would do as the commissioner if anyone else in the league e-mailed me right after the add/drop to say they had made this mistake. If one or more person takes issue with this, we can talk about it, but I'm assuming this is uncontroversial. "

First question is what would your reaction be? I have taken issue with this and now the commish is balking a bit. Others have been silent so far but as the day moves on I am sure there will be opinions.
Q
beercitybrawlers
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need input....

Postby footballprincess85 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:04 am

I don't like it. If he truly made the mistake, he can use a waiver to pick benson back up and drop barber as intended. Everyone makes mistakes, yes, but as commisioner, he needs to not use that power to correct his. I'm not really sure that I buy his "as I would do it for any other owner" line.
footballprincess85
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ABA316 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:47 pm

I think it's fair if he did it right after the drop..and most leagues I am in that would be done for anyone as long as it wasn't constantly being done.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Two things determine the fairness here: Waiver rules and precedent.

What are the waiver rules? I assume dropping a player must lock the player for a period of time to allow waiver claims to be made. If not, he would have just immediately drop/add again to fix it. If he used his Commish power just to avoid a drop/add fee or some type of waiver penalty, then I think that is little underhanded.

Which brings us to precedent. He said he would have done that for any owner who made a mistake. Really? Has that ever happened Is there a precedent set on how long a "mistake" can go before notifying the Commish? It's a very gray area, so if it isn't in the rules and it really is just at the Commish's discretion, I hope this isn't the first time it has occurred. If so, you can either fight him, or because the move is somewhat meaningless (comparative to other players that could have been involved) you could just let it go but write it down so next time someone "makes a mistake", you ensure the same rules are followed.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Need input....

Postby FatFoot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I think it's fine, and obvious that the commish would drop MB rather than Benson.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Its fine so long as everyone else gets the same treatment and provided there hasn't been any games yet played...before lineups lock. Make sure it says in league rules everyone gets maybe one mulligan as in golf.

viewtopic.php?t=505418
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner