FLEX Position Thoughts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

FLEX Position Thoughts

Moderator: Football Moderators

FLEX Position Thoughts

Postby Controlled Chaos » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:02 pm

What are your thoughts on the flex position? I am the commish of a 12 team PPR league. We've been going strong for over 10 years with this format. QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF. I've had an owner ask if I've ever considered a flex. Our league is very competitive. Scoring is pretty evenly distributed between QB, WR, RB with QB's holding a slight edge the last few years. I'm in another league modeled exactly after mine only with the added flex spot and I find it just kind of dilutes things.

I'm open to always improving things, so please give me your pros and cons. Our league has 4 teams in the playoffs and every year that 4th spot comes down to the last week and it's usually a 7-7 or 8-6 team that gets in with a tie breaker. In other words...things are pretty evenly matched and I wouldn't want to ruin it.

Thanks for the input.
Controlled Chaos
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: FLEX Position Thoughts

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Due to your scoring I would consider adding a universal flex starting slot to let any offensive player be placed there. QB/RB/WR/TE and let owners pretty much have free reign as to who they put in there. You don't want to make massive changes because your GMs strategize based on league size, starting requirements, etc..

You will need at least 70% favor vote to pass such a rule. Put it to a democratic vote.

viewtopic.php?t=505418
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Controlled Chaos » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks for your comments, but what is the added benefit in adding a flex? Besides scores being higher.
Controlled Chaos
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Pros:
- More strategy on draft day and in weekly lineups (particularly if you allow a QB in the flex)
- More options for owners to deal with injuries and byes, unlike 2QB or 3WR leagues where you HAVE to start a specific position
- More skill players reduces the percentage of points kickers and defenses account for, making scoring slightly less random
- Easy way to add some spice to a league of veteran owners. If things are a little monotonous, this will mix it up just a little bit without any major changes.

Cons:
- If it's not broke, don't fix it. You say your league is going well, so definitely make sure everyone is on board. Certainly not worth upsetting even one owner IMO if everyone is happy now.
- There can be disagreement among owners about what positions should be allowed in the flex. You also have a player or two each year that has potential dual eligibility that could complicate things. Although very easy to handle if the Commish is on top of things.
- I can tell you from experience, one change typically breeds another. Once owners get a taste of changing things, you'll probably get more requests for other changes.

To me, the pros certainly outweight the cons. As long as no one has a problem with it, I think every league should have a flex.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bigmck » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:30 pm

In one of the leagues I run we have RB / Flex /Flex/ WR / WR. This allows a team to play four WR and one RB or Three RB and two WR just like in the NFL. If a team is strong in WR, he can use all of them. I think it is especially good on Bye Weeks. It lets you replace a RB with a WR.
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:53 pm

I have played in tons of different leagues. The most fun league that I have played in had starting slots like this......

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
QB2/RB3
WR3/TE2
K
DST

Two QB league with the option to play 3 RB if needed or wanted. Also its PPR league, with TE's getting 2 PPR. It increases the value of TE's BIGTIME. Especially since you can start 2 of them. 6 points all Td's. Its so much fun.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Commissioner's Corner