Defense Analyzer - Week 8 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Defense Analyzer - Week 8

Moderator: Football Moderators

Defense Analyzer - Week 8

Postby prince_45243 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:59 am

Last week's post: viewtopic.php?t=504373

Checking out a number of different defense rankings, so far I haven't found one better than my own analysis except for the yahoo ranking which ranks by the opinion of four different experts plus yahoo players overall ranking. It's an interesting system and while my analyzer does as good a job on most weeks, last week was the first that they really beat the stats and I think it's largely a reflection of so many new quarterbacks in the NFL last week. So, I do recommend checking them out as well.

DEFENSE
Turnovers/Sacks are the most reliable predictor that I can find for above average and breakout games. Other additions into the analysis only served to reduce reliability. The following lists are the rank, the defending team, their matchup for the week, the average sacks/turnovers obtained by the defending team, the same given up by their matchup and then the overall score. These are averages which consider the number of games played as some teams have now gone through bye weeks.

I've previously said that NYJ, BAL and GB are teams that should probably be started every week regardless of matchup. I've also been impressed with NYG, DET, SF and CHI and think they may be good starts regardless of matchup as well. The BYE teams are still listed. The bye 'score' btw, is just the alphabetically best fit for the computer so please ignore it.

A few caveats here. DAL vs. PHI is based on a high turnover rate by Vick and company which may not necessarily prove true every week. Feast of famine. I also am beginning to wonder if Cam Newton has figured out how to hold onto the ball and nnot sure if MIN vs. CAR should be ranked as high as it is. NO vs. STL didn't make it as far up as I would have hoped and I do wonder if that would make Yahoo's top 10. Otherwise, I feel pretty comfortable with the top 10 listed.

PASSING AND RUSHING DEFENSE:

The NFL ranks passing or rushing defense based on yards per game. However, from a fantasy perspective, TDs and turnovers are weighted much more heavily than yards in most fantasy leagues. Thus, the NFL's ranking doesn't always make sense. The following fantasy passing ranking is based on 1 point per 25 yards, 6 per TD and -2 per turnover. It does NOT take into account the matchup for the week.

Each line shows my rank, the team, the NFL's rank, the average score they are yielding opposing passers, and the toughness of their schedule so far this year. For example, the NYJ are my number 1 passing defense, they are the NFL's number 7 ranked defense. They are yielding opponents only 8.2 points per game on average and have faced the 8th toughest schedule so far.

You should also note that this is passing only and if your qb has good legs, look also at the rushing rankings.
You should also note that this doesn't take into account their opponent that week.

PASSING:

Washington dropped significantly in the NFL ranks after giving up 250 to Cam Newton but on my ranking they remain at 3rd as DET also slipped in their numbers and TDs. I still feel that the Jets are the number one passing defense with BAL right behind. PIT is the number 1 ranked defense facing against a rested Brady and company. But if you look at PIT's toughness so far, they've faced one of the easiest schedules from a passing output stage. BAL, SEA, IND, HOU, TEN, JAC, ARI. Schaub and Flacco are probably A- grade QBs but a lot of C grade qbs so far.

Basically, the top 10 and bottom 10 defenses are likely to remain the same the rest of the season but a few blowups may move things around.

The difference between playing the NYJ vs. IND btw, is nearly 13 points!
Tebow should have an interesting time against DET who I think is smarting after a few tough losses. But should have a much easier time vs. OAK and KC before hitting the NYJ and SD. Ends with CHI, NE and BUF all of which are bottom half passing defenses. He also has legs of course.

Cam Newton excelled against a quality passing defense (WAS). I'd say that gives him the stud mantle in my book and he's a must start no matter the defense. He faces a bottom tier MIN passing defense and those of us who own him and/or S. Smith have to hope for one of those lovely 400+yard days to save us from bye week hell.

RUSHING:
Based on 1 per 10 yards, 6 per TD, -2 per fumble.
For example SF is my number 1 rushing defense, ranked 11th by NFL, giving up an average of only 6.1 ppg to opposing rushers but with the 4th easiest schedule this year.

More movement here than in the passig logs. TEN fell out of the top 10 and I think deservedly so. NE was on bye and fell out of the top 10 as JAC moved up and MIA dropped down.

SF had a bye and so was unlikely to move. They remain the only team in the NFL to have not allowed a rushing TD all year. I remember when TB did this a few years ago and then Michael Turner opened up 4 rushing TDs on them in one game. This streak has to end at some point but it's hard to tell when.

Houston climbed into the top 10 this week after holding Chris Johnson to 18 yards rushing and no scores. Jacksonville also cracked into the top 10 from way back at 22nd after holding Ray Rice to only 28 yards rushing. JAC's play last night was a shocker to me and they are now ranked as top 10 defenses in rushing and passing by me and the NFL. And although the stats say they are yielding 13.5 ppg to opposing rushers, of late, they have really been a much harder defense to rush against.

I had said a few weeks ago that Rivers to VJax looked great this year. They've had a lot of bottom 10 passing defenses to start the year and other than last week vs, the NYJ, they are about to go on another nice long string of bottom 10 passing defenses. KC, GB, OAK, CHI, DEN, JAC, BUF. Most of those are bottom half defenses except for JAC. Playoff weeks look rougher for them though. BAL, DET are 2 and 4 on passing defense. Final week (week 16 in my league) is lovely Oakland however. They'll get you there, but not sure if they'll finish the season for you.

DeMarcus Murray gets to feast on a PHI rushing defense that has yielded an average of 18 ppg to opposing rushers. Two solid weeks may have him pushing Jones off the lead position in the depth chart. And then he gets SEA, BUF, WAS. BUF and WAS are both bottom 10 defenses and SEA is the only top half defense he faces. MIA is 13th and falling on the rushing defense ladder followed by ARI, NYG which are both bottom 10 defenses and closes out with TB (21) and PHI bottom 10. That's a whole lot of bottom 10 defenses and he joins their team having destroyed STL and likely to have a very solid game vs. PHI. If things work out, primarily through matchup, Murray could end up being a monster this year and a starting RB on a good team.

Thinking about getting Torain? He has a nice matchup vs. BUF this week. But beware, he follows that with SF, MIA, DAL, SEA. All top half defenses with SF and DAL being 1 and 3. NYJ should be a little easier time but then NE, NYG, MIN to close out the season. Only NYG are in the bottom 10 for defenses. Okay for a filler but I wouldn't rest your championship on Torain unless he proves to be a monster.

This information is for entertainment purposes only. Please do not replace common sense and good judgment with a bunch of statistics.
Last edited by prince_45243 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Prince_45243
prince_45243
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Defense Analyzer - Week 8

Postby robotninja » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks again, rolling with Texans vs Jags this week and keeping Cincy on the bench for any weeks where I cant find a better available matchup.
10 Team Std Scoring No PPR
QB Stafford
RB Spiller
RB Morris
WR Nelson
WR Reggie Wayne
WR/TE Jimmy Graham
Flex Ridley
K and Def by committee
Min and Hartley

Bench
A Brown (pit)
Bernard Pierce
Roy Helu
Bryce Brown
Mark Ingram
Marlon Brown
robotninja
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 29)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:04 pm

What do you guys think? Cleveland I have on my team right now but I could drop them for any of the teams on the ww.

You guys feel okay with Cleveland Browns DST this week? Chicago is on a bye and the replacements available on the ww are VERY weak.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby HotHandz305 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:57 pm

I've yet to ever use the WW once this season and am #1 at 6-1 but so tempted to finally use it to pick up NYG cuz it looks like such a juicy match up, I know they wont make it past the waiver pick ups.
Week 13 Roster
QB Tony Romo
WR1 Greg Jennings
WR2 Vincent Jax
RB1 Arian Foster
RB2 LeSean McCoy
TE Vernon Davis
Flex (W/R/T) Willis McGahee
K Billy Cundiff
DST GB
IDP Patrick Willis
BEN Roy Helu
BEN Fred Davis
BEN Stevie Johnson
BEN Pitt D/ST
HotHandz305
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby prince_45243 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:12 am

latsprewell20002000 wrote:What do you guys think? Cleveland I have on my team right now but I could drop them for any of the teams on the ww.

You guys feel okay with Cleveland Browns DST this week? Chicago is on a bye and the replacements available on the ww are VERY weak.

Guess we need to know what's on the WW but I do worry about Cleveland this week. They have only 4 picks in 6 weeks of play and SF has only given up 2 picks in 6 games. SF has also only given up 4 fumbles in those 6 weeks. That's a pretty low rate of turnovers. CLE has only held one team to under 10 points (Sea) so I doubt that's where the points will come from. Of course, there's nothing wrong with any defense so much as trying to guess who will have an above average or breakout day

HotHandz305 wrote:I've yet to ever use the WW once this season and am #1 at 6-1 but so tempted to finally use it to pick up NYG cuz it looks like such a juicy match up, I know they wont make it past the waiver pick ups.

Not sure if they did or not but I think a lot depends on your current Defense. If you have a steady eddie giving you solid production, I don't think you should necessarily change up. However, NYG is a solid defense that I think could be started most weeks. Your ID doesn't show a defense for some reason.
-Prince_45243
prince_45243
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby richord06 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:29 am

How would you compare Cincy D to Houston D? Both seem to have good matchups... I have both as i just picked up Houston on the wire after reading this. Now its between who to start, Texans or Bengals?
richord06
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby prince_45243 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 am

Both are listed on mine and Yahoo's Top 10 (the only defense ranking that I've found as good or superior to my own ranking system) and both are listed one right after the other (HOU, CIN). I think I'd personally lean more towards CIN myself. I have no faith in Seattle's ability to hold onto the ball. However, Hou is hosting a MNF JAC and CIN is traveling to SEA. It's a wash. I can think of no way of distinguishing them other than flipping a coin and figuring out if the answer 'feels right' (you ever do that?).
-Prince_45243
prince_45243
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk