Where does the train stop for Greenbay? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where does the train stop for Greenbay?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Where does the train stop for Greenbay?

Postby mattb47 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 am

I don't know, for a while I was thinking that about the defense too that they give up big yards and things because of the nature of the types of games they've been playing but looking at the numbers I'm not quite so sure. They have the look of a big play defense but not necessarily a "great" defense and I think at some point in the season we'll see the day when the offense just isn't quite clicking like normal and the defense isn't there to pick up that slack and get them the win.

Some things that are concerning are more from the efficiency standpoint defensively, a lot of yards isn't a bad thing if it's just because there are so many attempts but that's not necessarily the case. Teams haven't had a terribly difficult time throwing on them averaging 7.8 yards per attempt (10th worst in the NFL) and have given up 12 passing TDs (7th worst in the NFL). They've also given up the 4th most plays of 20+ yards in the league and for how much teams are passing on them, they are just middle of the road as far as pressure on the QB and sacks come too. To make matters worse, they aren't all that great against the run either giving up 4.6 ypc (8th worst) and overall they're giving up the 5th most yards per game of any team in the NFL.

They make up for a lot of that with big plays and the fact that their offense can flat out outscore most teams on pretty much every day. I'm not saying this is not a very very good team, but it has its flaws especially on defense and with their habit of liking to let teams hang around longer than they should sometimes, I would be surprised if they didn't drop one at some point.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sex Panther » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:21 am

Agree about the defense thing - they are no where near where they were last year.

Saving grace is they force turnovers & with the efficency of their offense, their shoddy run D is somewhat mitigated due to teams being forced to abandon the run more often thn not - that leads to lots of big plays in the passing game, but also equates to more chances at INT's & Sacks.

I'm very curious to see how they play when Green Bay weather starts becoming a factor (which "should" have a negative effect on their offense)...

They currently rank:

28th in yards allowed per game @ 391 YPG

7th in scoring defense @ 20.1 PPG

T2nd in interceptions w/ 13 (1.86 per game)

T16th in sacks w/ 17 (2.43 per game)

T19th in forced fumbles w/ 5 (.71 per game)

T22nd in fumbles recovered w/ 3 (.43 per game)

Other than scoring & interceptions, they rank in the bottom half in all other categories, which is offset by where they are offensively...

1st in scoring @ 32.9 PPG

4th in total yards per game @ 423.3 typg

3rd in passing @ 323.4 pypg

24th in rushing @ 99.9 rypg

Not saying that this is going to come back to bite them in the ass, but I'm curious to see what happens what the defense does in a game adversly affected by the elements - are they going to be able to drop 30+ in GB in Decemeber? And, if not, are they going to be capable of winning a game when they only put up 17-20 points?

Just take a look at what happened in STL last week - New Orleans offense had one of those days & SJax had a field day... any given Sunday and all that jazz...

Twice this year, rookie QB's have given Green Bay a game that looked insanely lopsided on paper (granted both were on the road & Newton has been stellar), but 475 & 435 net yards in close games to rookie piloted offenses were both shocking to me...
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mr.freeze18 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:51 pm

I say when they play the Giants...
My Roster
QB / Giants
RB/ LeGarrette Blount , LeSean McCoy, Demarco Murray
WR/ Anqaun Boldin, Santonio Holmes, Brandon Marshall, Mario Manningham
KICKER / Falcons
DEF/ Bengals
Taxi Squad / Chris Johnson
mr.freeze18
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff