Late season sleeper?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Late season sleeper??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Late season sleeper??

Postby tripower » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:05 am

I'll throw it out there that I'm a fantasy football rookie.

It's open to debate, but the 49ers have a shot at clinching the NFC West by the end of November, perhaps early December. That said, is it a reasonable assumption the Niners will sit Frank Gore, as to give him a rest before the playoffs?

I'm thinking Kendall Hunter could be a solid late season sleeper pick up....What do you all think?
tripower
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Late season sleeper??

Postby spodog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:33 pm

wouldn't disagree with that. Every other team in the NFC west may be below .500 permanantly by Thanksgiving.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:29 pm

The risk of Gore getting injured is higher than the risk of him sitting for a month to ride out the season. But either way you slice it, Hunter should be stashed in all leagues that allow any sort of bench. I also think Ringer is a guy you have to watch out for. I sincerely doubt CJ gets benched, but it is not unusual for a player who is "off" like he has been to suffer an injury...either aggravate something he's been dealing with or just gets himself hit one too many times because he isn't playing well.

I also look at a guy like Barber. Forte is getting a ton of action...if he went down, Barber wouldn't be nearly as productive but someone has to fill that role. Barber could certainly do that.

This is stash time for RBs in my opinion. Once you've cleared your toughest Bye weeks, drop those extra players you picked up for Bye week coverage to grab some of these high potential RBs that might have been dropped due to lack of bench space on other rosters.

There will likely be at least 1, maybe 2 backup RBs that will be top 10 commodities from Week 10 on. If you're lucky enough to have one on your roster, that may help you win a championship.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby LeBron James » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:24 am

Thanks for the tip, I agree, the NFC west is Horrific other than the niners. I just dropped Roy Helu for Kendall Hunter in one of my leagues. The Redskins running game looks TERRIBLE, you can't do anything against that bad Bills run D???????????????????? And they also added Choice off wavers so I don't think Helu will get much of a chance this year.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby GAMETIME03 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:02 am

CJ2k...he will have another poor showing this week, get benched in favor of Ringer and Ringer will start the next game. Two weeks later, CJ2K runs like a man possessed just in time for the playoff run!!!!
GAMETIME03
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby JavaDude » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 am

What is Chris Johnson's deal anyway? I think he's playing hurt per this:
NFL Network's Sterling Sharpe is the latest game-tape watcher to attribute Chris Johnson's struggles to the running back, rather than the Titans' rushing offense as a whole.
Sharpe works for NFLN's Playbook, which breaks down each game each week. "They're giving him opportunities," said Sharpe. "The Chris Johnson that we’re used to seeing, I don’t know why we’re not seeing him. ... Usually, when he got one on one, he could make a guy miss and it was going to be electric. Now he’s just curling up in a ball and looking for the softest spot on the field to lay down."
JavaDude
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby latraffic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm

JavaDude wrote:What is Chris Johnson's deal anyway? I think he's playing hurt per this:
"Usually, when he got one on one, he could make a guy miss and it was going to be electric. Now he’s just curling up in a ball and looking for the softest spot on the field to lay down."

Okay, that made me laugh. :-b

K. Hunter, RB, SF. Gore is overdue for his usual injury of the season.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:36 pm

Antonio Brown anyone? The guy leads the Steelers in targets.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby LeBron James » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:35 am

tripower wrote:I'll throw it out there that I'm a fantasy football rookie.

It's open to debate, but the 49ers have a shot at clinching the NFC West by the end of November, perhaps early December. That said, is it a reasonable assumption the Niners will sit Frank Gore, as to give him a rest before the playoffs?

I'm thinking Kendall Hunter could be a solid late season sleeper pick up....What do you all think?

Actually thinking about this some more, they might play Gore all the way to try and get the number 1 seed. They still have to compete with Packers and Lions and anyone else for the top seed.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby mattb47 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:02 pm

LeBron James wrote:
tripower wrote:I'll throw it out there that I'm a fantasy football rookie.

Actually thinking about this some more, they might play Gore all the way to try and get the number 1 seed. They still have to compete with Packers and Lions and anyone else for the top seed.

By the end of the season i don't think the 49ers will be in position to be fighting for the #1 seed. I really don't see that happening and they definitely don't have the firepower to keep pace with the Packers all season. I mean the 49ers do still have to play the Ravens, Giants, Steelers, and I could see them dropping a game to a team like St. Louis if they are playing better later in the season like I think they will. I think Gore is a pretty high bet for someone to be sitting late in the year especially when you consider how heavy his workload has been this year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk