Inside Coach Schwartz - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Detroit Lions

Inside Coach Schwartz

Moderator: Football Moderators

Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby dream_017 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Here is a pretty good Q&A with the head coach. Everytime I have heard him he has remained consistant - I have heard a number of different interviews and talks with him. I think he is a great coach for Detroit.

http://detnews.com/article/20111107/SPORTS0101/111070303
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Funny, I was just going to say that I don't have much to complain about so far then I realized that even given his very short resume Schwartz is the best coach the Lions have had since I've been a fan.
Bobby Ross has more credentials but the game had passed him by when he hooked up with the Lions. Anyone who has suffered through my rants knows what a fraud I thought Wayno was. Marty wasn't ready and had a boob for a boss, coach Mooch mailed it in when he realized he had no power. Heck, until rock enthusiast Schwartz came along the Lions coaches have been an Insane Clown Posse.

I like Schwartz, can't trust him yet.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 am

moochman wrote:Funny, I was just going to say that I don't have much to complain about so far then I realized that even given his very short resume Schwartz is the best coach the Lions have had since I've been a fan.
Bobby Ross has more credentials but the game had passed him by when he hooked up with the Lions. Anyone who has suffered through my rants knows what a fraud I thought Wayno was. Marty wasn't ready and had a boob for a boss, coach Mooch mailed it in when he realized he had no power. Heck, until rock enthusiast Schwartz came along the Lions coaches have been an Insane Clown Posse.

I like Schwartz, can't trust him yet.

It would have been interesting to see what Marty could have done with a competent GM, maybe we will see it someday. All the others are like you mentioned.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still have in my mind the season ticket holders meeting when Schwartz and Meyhew took over. From that initial meeting almost 3 years ago they have been very consistant in what they talked about as a plan for this and have gone out and done what they said. They still have some work to do but I feel that they are moving into that plan and have stayed true to it from the beginning. We may not like some of the moves or question them, but I think that comes with the territory. I feel a lot better sitting at 6-2 coming off a blowout win over the Broncos this season, then I did 5 years ago sitting at 6-2 coming off a blowout win over the Broncos.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:43 pm

dream_017 wrote:It would have been interesting to see what Marty could have done with a competent GM, maybe we will see it someday. All the others are like you mentioned.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still have in my mind the season ticket holders meeting when Schwartz and Meyhew took over. From that initial meeting almost 3 years ago they have been very consistant in what they talked about as a plan for this and have gone out and done what they said. They still have some work to do but I feel that they are moving into that plan and have stayed true to it from the beginning. We may not like some of the moves or question them, but I think that comes with the territory. I feel a lot better sitting at 6-2 coming off a blowout win over the Broncos this season, then I did 5 years ago sitting at 6-2 coming off a blowout win over the Broncos.


Yeah, I can remember thinking we were frauds at 6-2. Just too many ugly, poorly played wins. The main difference this season is that our D line will make the opponant work to beat us. No more blow outs ala Iggles, Bolts, Titans, etc. Heck for awhile there it seemed like there were multiple players on each team with over 80 yds and a score agaisnt us. Used to joke about whichever team we played having a player having career days against us. Too many times true. Has that happened this year?
I guess I give a luke warm okay to Schwartz, but Mayhew still leaves a lot to be desired. Pettigrew is not good enough for his draft spot and I still cannot believe that we didn't spend our last pick on Blount. He was exactly what we needed, then and now. These subtle miscues are what seperates top teams from pretenders. Without the solid Oline play and run game we are closer to pretender than title contender.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby dream_017 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:48 am

moochman wrote:
dream_017 wrote:It would have been interesting to see what Marty could have done with a competent GM, maybe we will see it someday. All the others are like you mentioned.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still have in my mind the season ticket holders meeting when Schwartz and Meyhew took over. From that initial meeting almost 3 years ago they have been very consistant in what they talked about as a plan for this and have gone out and done what they said. They still have some work to do but I feel that they are moving into that plan and have stayed true to it from the beginning. We may not like some of the moves or question them, but I think that comes with the territory. I feel a lot better sitting at 6-2 coming off a blowout win over the Broncos this season, then I did 5 years ago sitting at 6-2 coming off a blowout win over the Broncos.


Yeah, I can remember thinking we were frauds at 6-2. Just too many ugly, poorly played wins. The main difference this season is that our D line will make the opponant work to beat us. No more blow outs ala Iggles, Bolts, Titans, etc. Heck for awhile there it seemed like there were multiple players on each team with over 80 yds and a score agaisnt us. Used to joke about whichever team we played having a player having career days against us. Too many times true. Has that happened this year?
I guess I give a luke warm okay to Schwartz, but Mayhew still leaves a lot to be desired. Pettigrew is not good enough for his draft spot and I still cannot believe that we didn't spend our last pick on Blount. He was exactly what we needed, then and now. These subtle miscues are what seperates top teams from pretenders. Without the solid Oline play and run game we are closer to pretender than title contender.

I think it was a radio interview but I heard Schwartz mention that they are still not where they want to be and it is going to take another year. I think he hit on it in the interview from this thread too that they are sticking to the plan and sometimes it is hard to lose/not be good and still follow through with something that you believe in. They are not building for a one and done they are building for a consistant team and I think I see that. Sure there have been some bad picks and picks that have not worked but for the short amount of time I think we may have more games played for the Lions with the Meyhew picks than games played with the Lions for Millen picks 8-o Don't make me re-post the list of draft picks that within a couple years were out of football altogether O:-) :-b

I know what you are talking about with the big plays - we used to joke that we could stop every team on 1st and 2nd down, it would be 3rd and long and everytime the offense would get the first down. It is refreshing to finally see them not only stop teams on 3rd down but the many times so far that changed a game by stopping teams on 4th down.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby moochman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Do you really think that me, of all people, needs to be reminded of Millens draft record? :-b We need to put that behind us now and not compare Mayhew to Millen but to good or even just competent GMs.
If I am not mistaken, the Lions D has produced the most three and outs in either the league or the NFC this season. ;-D

Bears got me scared. 8-o
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 am

moochman wrote:Do you really think that me, of all people, needs to be reminded of Millens draft record? :-b We need to put that behind us now and not compare Mayhew to Millen but to good or even just competent GMs.
If I am not mistaken, the Lions D has produced the most three and outs in either the league or the NFC this season. ;-D

Bears got me scared. 8-o

And with that and the talent that we now have on this team (remember that our top 3 draft picks last year have played very little) I would say he is comparing himself to competent GMs. Having enough talent that we are not relying on draft picks to come in and make an immediate impact is a very good sign that he is doing a good job - and that talent that is filling in for draft picks has the team at 6-2 ;-D

The only thing that has me scared is history - the Lions have won 6 straight on the road in a league that it is tough to win on the road. The numbers are stacked against them in the regard.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:02 pm

I could stand losing the game, but the way the Lions are playing up to halftime shows a scarey resemblence to Lions of old. Coming off a bye week and playing dumb. Personal fouls, not playing through a fumble, kicking to Hester, and Stafford looking as confused as he has ever been. Looks like Schwartz simply didn't get his team prepared to play a game. Sucks Sucks Sucks. I want him to be a better coach, but this looks ametuerish out there. I fully expect them to open the second half with a delay of game penalty. I cannot tell you how mad and disappointed I am.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:01 pm

moochman wrote:I could stand losing the game, but the way the Lions are playing up to halftime shows a scarey resemblence to Lions of old. Coming off a bye week and playing dumb. Personal fouls, not playing through a fumble, kicking to Hester, and Stafford looking as confused as he has ever been. Looks like Schwartz simply didn't get his team prepared to play a game. Sucks Sucks Sucks. I want him to be a better coach, but this looks ametuerish out there. I fully expect them to open the second half with a delay of game penalty. I cannot tell you how mad and disappointed I am.

I too. I blame a lot of it on Schwartz. The whole game was a disaster from the opening fumble by CJ. I will cut a bit of slack as the new bye week rules limit football related activities and things that can be done during the bye week. It has not been mentioned a lot :-? If you look the teams coming off a bye playing a MNF opponent are 0-6 - my guess is that the new rules have something to do with that :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Inside Coach Schwartz

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:06 pm

dream_017 wrote:
moochman wrote:I could stand losing the game, but the way the Lions are playing up to halftime shows a scarey resemblence to Lions of old. Coming off a bye week and playing dumb. Personal fouls, not playing through a fumble, kicking to Hester, and Stafford looking as confused as he has ever been. Looks like Schwartz simply didn't get his team prepared to play a game. Sucks Sucks Sucks. I want him to be a better coach, but this looks ametuerish out there. I fully expect them to open the second half with a delay of game penalty. I cannot tell you how mad and disappointed I am.

I too. I blame a lot of it on Schwartz. The whole game was a disaster from the opening fumble by CJ. I will cut a bit of slack as the new bye week rules limit football related activities and things that can be done during the bye week. It has not been mentioned a lot :-? If you look the teams coming off a bye playing a MNF opponent are 0-6 - my guess is that the new rules have something to do with that :-?


New rules, old rules, no difference. I've seen this Lions team before, led out by coach NimRod, Mooch, and now Schwartz. Lions led to slaughter by incompetent coaching. From not being prepared, to not altering game plan during game, to not being awake enough to realize that Chinadoll with a broken nail is a much worse option at QB than Hill, to a lack of understanding why teams don't punt to Hester.
Also troublesome was watching the Lions D exposed. It looked like our secondary is finally showing the cracks. Hope this was hidden by the embarrassing brawling that took place out there by two teams that seem to be building a genuine hatred for eachother. that may be the only good thing to come of this game.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Next

Return to Detroit Lions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 22:39 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact